Tile & Granite Grout Question

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So I recently had some tile work done in my bathroom (part of an extensive bathroom remodel). Long story short the tile guys don't do granite so I had to get another contractor in to put the granite down for the cap on the shower curb.

The granite guys left me with approx. 1/2" gap between the granite and the tile on the inside of the shower (to get pitch right on granite). I called our tile guy and he said to just fill it with grout. I'm ok with that however I'm not sure what to do where there is no thin set between the granite and tile (see pics below). There are gaps like this around the entire perimeter of the shower curb.

Do I just push a bunch of grout in those areas or do I need to mix up some thinset and fill them so the grout has something to bond to.

GROUT_1_2.jpg

GROUT_2_2.jpg

IMG_6749.jpg

Last edited:

Voodooo413

Established Member
Fill it with grout. The tiles are already attached with thinset. Why didn't the granite installers fill the voids? You can do a few things to help fill it.
1) pack it in with your fingers then smoothen it out.
2) get a grout bag. It looks like a cake frosting bag and squeeze it into the voids and then take your finger or a float and pack it in good.
3) just use the float to pack it in and take an old paint brush after it skins over and starts to set up (harden) and feather it out smooth. You can also wet the paint brush slightly to help flow the grout. Make sure the colors of the grout match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal Metal

Established Member
you want sanded grout for that the gap is too big for non-sand. And #2 in voodooo suggestion, grout is sold for caulking guns in matching color to the bagged stuff,you can use it to fill gaps better than with the float..

Users who are viewing this thread