"Tighten" steering rack?

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
The steering in my '96 has always seemed like it had a little too much play in the center. As in when the vehicle is not running the steering wheel can be wiggled a bit too much before encountering resistance.

I checked it against the '97 and it's the same.

I've had the steering wheel rocked while I watched the steering shaft. There was no play at the upper U-joint, or at the rag joint. I put the car in the air and there is no play at the outer or inner tie rod ends.

The play seems to be just in the rack, and may be normal, but it's still annoying.

I've been told it is possible to tighten the steering gear via a bolt facing up right by where the shaft goes into the rack.

Have any of you ever messed with this?

9746C

MFE

Established Member
Yes, you can tighten things up there by loosening the gigantic ring nut opposite the input shaft, and tightening the bolt inside the cavity of the nut, but if the issue was caused (as it often is) by wear in the center of the rack, then tightening the pinion runs the risk that it'll bind the rack when off-center.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Thanks for the info!

I found some play in the intermediate shaft where the small shaft goes into the larger one. It's not much but it will probobly get worse.

Guess I need to see who makes the best intermediate steering shaft. The Ford one is discontinued.

9746C

StillIntense

Established Member
In my 95 R, I recently had the same problem (probably magnified by the fact that it is run on road courses). My turns out that where the steering shaft attaches to the steering rack (it's a clamp fit) was pretty stripped. Ordered a new steering shaft from MM and the problem was solved in about an hour. Highly recommend this as it doesn't appear to be repairable by normal means.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Looks like I have three choices.

3r3z 3b676 aa : For 03/04 Cobras. (Will it fit? Differences?)

3r3z 3b676 ab : what the original shaft updates to for my '96 Cobra plus all Mustangs '96-'04, base and GT. (Costs almost as much as the MM)

The one for the 03/04 cobra is almost $100 less than the other one and $150 less than the MM shaft.

Not sure which to get yet.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you are going in there I recommend:

MM solid rack bushings for a stock K(center drilled not offset)
MM shaft
MM 4 point K brace

If after that, you are still not happy with the play reduction, put a new rack in it.

Ford parts are available for 10% over cost through Tousley Ford, an approved vendor on this site.
I would put a Terminator rack in it since it comes with the high temp outer tie rod ends and internal stops made into it for running a 275 tire without rubbing.

Maybe cruise the classifieds for a take off pair of Terminator lower arms, these have improved bushings and geometry.
Some coil over conversions require they they be replaced with their in house tubular arms.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Thanks for the info!

I found some play in the intermediate shaft where the small shaft goes into the larger one. It's not much but it will probobly get worse.

Guess I need to see who makes the best intermediate steering shaft. The Ford one is discontinued.

9746C

Shit. That's why I bought a Mustang was when some critical parts were discontinued for my old SuperCoupe. I thought they'd always build parts for Mustangs. :fm:

I've always had that slop in my steering, too. Let us know which way you go and how well it does.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Okay here's the deal.

Nearly all Mustangs will upgrade to part 3L3Z (or was that 3R3Z?) 3B676 AB.

Part 3L3Z 3B676 AC is not available and was never installed in a production vehicle.

Part 3L3Z 3B676 AA is the '03/04 Cobra shaft and is still availabe and much less expensive than the -AB part by almost $100.

I ordered the '03 Cobra shaft for under $100. I would have liked the MM shaft but I can put the money I saved towards stainless brake hoses which my '96 really needs to be safe. (If your aware of the NHTSB memo)

So don't worry guys the base/GT steering shaft and 03/04 Cobra shaft are still available.

If I ever do need a rack I'll be sure to get one for an '03 Cobra also.

9746C

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
I installed a new '03 Cobra shaft and the difference was huge!

I figured it would cure the slight amount of play in the steering. It not only did that but it "feels" like like a new rack too. The steering is more "weighted" and it's nice.

Comparing the two parts side by side the 03's isolator was much firmer. Everything else was nearly the same.

A repair/upgrade in steering with instant positive return for under $100 and 10 minutes work. A good day!

9746C

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

I figured it would cure the slight amount of play in the steering. It not only did that but it "feels" like like a new rack too. The steering is more "weighted" and it's nice.

Comparing the two parts side by side the 03's isolator was much firmer. Everything else was nearly the same.

A repair/upgrade in steering with instant positive return for under $100 and 10 minutes work. A good day!

9746C

Gotta love it! A VERY positive outcome!:rockon:

nothingelse

03SilverSnake
Established Member
Glad to hear that you solved your problem. Out of curiosity where did you pick up the part at. I have an 03 Cobra and having similar issues in my car. I found the MM one, but I don't have 249.99 to pay for it right now. The car just got out of the shop after new clutch, TOB, TOB retainer sleeve and flywheel install so I think I will have to go with the same one that you purchased.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member

9746C

Thats good. Get the MM alumnium rack bushings and prepare to be amazed.

The MM solid steering shaft tightens things up even more. The bushings are a must buy for $40.

Last edited:

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
I did the rack bushings and I didn't notice too much difference
I did the MM steering shaft and it felt like an entirely new car, truely amazing. My ragjoint had gotten so bad it was to the point of creating a clunking sound.
My rack has a soft spot on center, I assume it could use a little tightening but it's not bad enough yet to mess with it.

If you do order the MM shaft, make sure you paint it, that thing rusted up reallll quick on mine

NJ 03Mach1

Hillclimbers do it better
Established Member
One thing with the Solid Rack bushings from MM... If you plan on doing anything with the SCCA, those solid bushings will knock you from one class to another, so if your looking to run ESP class.. those bushings WILL bump you to SM.

Users who are viewing this thread