ticking under slight rpm's

M33P

Established Member
Just started hearing this like 2 weeks ago. I checked the bolts where the xpipe meets the catback and they were plenty tight so i thought i ruled out an exhaust leak. Any opinions? Click the pic to watch the video. this was taken right outside the driver door.

th_B036B109-1AC7-4F15-A265-579F991C8B4C-119-000000DFEB9F44FC_zps7eb6752f.jpg

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
That doesnt sound good. Mine ticks but not like that. Mine ticks when idling or cruising with a slight load on the car.

M33P

Established Member
COOOOOOOL. Not what i wanted to hear. Ill stop by my dealership on the way home from work.

willpower

Established Member
COOOOOOOL. Not what i wanted to hear. Ill stop by my dealership on the way home from work.

Yep, sounds just like mine. The sound has gotten steadily worse for me throughout the past 6 months to the point that now I can hear it driving through town.

M33P

Established Member
Just an update on this, dropped my car off on the first and took them two days to recreate the noise. Now they tell me the need to keep it longer because they are unable to determine the source so they have to contact Ford. I have been given a rental.

This sucks with cruise week coming up next week, i was looking forward to taking the car down the beach.

alcarames

Established Member
Good luck with that. I've had this noise since my second oil change. Not once have they said what it could possibly be. I've heard piston skirt, wrist pin. This I've heard through people who have gone through the lemon law process with ford. So no one really knows definitively what makes the noise.

M33P

Established Member
So got the call today from my dealership. Ford is aware of the issue, they state it is a "rapping" noise and that is it the piston moving in the bore untill it warms up. They went on to say that it causes no known "durability" issues therefore they basically just told me to live with it. Going to pick the car up tomorrow.

alcarames

Established Member
Does your noise happen when the engine cold started or after it's warmed up? Mine is only present after the engine has warmed up.

M33P

Established Member
Ford basically told me to shove off, its a known issue, but apparently doesnt cause any damage. The car still might make the noise, but I dont listen for it anymore.

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
Mine started doing it after an oil change at 29K too. Ive since taken it to Texas World Speedway and drove the piss out of it and it actually went away for the most part.

M33P

Established Member
I haven't driven the mustang in over a week, been driving my jeep. Next time I have it, ill see if its still making the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread