Ticking under car, dead end road

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmsGGjxIh2c&feature=em-upload_ownerHey guys, I am looking for some input regarding this tick I have recently noticed. It sounds like an exhaust leak and def sounds like it's on the driver's side toward the front. I hear it nice and clear when I am next to another car.

I put the car on a lift at work and me and one of the techs listened for the leak. We couldn't find an exhaust leak at the collectors, however, we did not check the manifold bolts.

It is not heard from the top of the engine, just hear the injectors. Under the car it sounds like it's coming from the trans or near the left side of the exhaust/motor.

Car drives perfectly. Noise increases with revs in nuetral but it's not crazy loud. Most annoying when next to a car.

I once read that the clutch/flywheel can make some noise from time to time, but every thread I found on a search is discussing the Head Tick or oil filters. It's a mobil 1 filter and the car has 18,000 miles.

All input is appreciated :beer:

Last edited:

Marc

Established Member
Could be your throwout bearing. Get in it and depress the clutch and see if it goes away. My 04 Cobra would make a constant ticking noise until I pressed in the clutch and then it would go away.

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
I'll double check but if memory serves me correct, the noise does not go away with the clutch in. It's very strange all around as the car has little mileage and is not really beat on at all.

I am wondering if it's exhaust manifold noise, but it really sounds like its coming from something low. I would imagine if it were lower motor damage I would have other signs.

Jefe

Established Member
Still no cats? Video? Use a stethoscope to pinpoint where the most noise is coming from

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
Still no cats? Video? Use a stethoscope to pinpoint where the most noise is coming from

No cats. As for the stethoscope, that's a great idea, though I will need the lift at work again to do this. Or, I could use my ramps. I am really annoyed now as I really thought it was a simple exhaust leak :fm:

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Also use a long flat head screw driver. Put the end on the motor and put your ear to it. You will be very surprised on how you can at least narrow down a location by doing this. If its a bad bearing or something in the bottom end you will be able to tell doing this.

Jefe

Established Member
Ya screwdrivers or an automotive stethoscope:

41lPpuziOJL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

Silverboost

Established Member
Replace your idlers. I had a metallic sound ticking and tore into the motor only to find out it was the idler bearings. Take the idlers off and spin them on your finger to see if its smooth or not.

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
Does it sound something similar to this?

Header Leak? - YouTube

It does sound like that, stock manifolds though. We checked the collector tightness and they were tight, though that doesn't mean they have a good seal against the Hpipe.

The idler comment is good because my new belt is giving off burned rubber smell lately. The other day at the light my belt started smoking out of the hood vents, smelled like burnt ass. I am wondering if the two are related.

I used my stethoscope last night and the heads make a very light ticking sound (nothing unusual) and I can't locate the sound from the top of the motor, or near the idlers.

It makes the sound warm and cold, nuetral and in gear. I don't hear it much as the rpm's climb.

SVTDice

Established Member
It does sound like that, stock manifolds though. We checked the collector tightness and they were tight, though that doesn't mean they have a good seal against the Hpipe.

The idler comment is good because my new belt is giving off burned rubber smell lately. The other day at the light my belt started smoking out of the hood vents, smelled like burnt ass. I am wondering if the two are related.

I used my stethoscope last night and the heads make a very light ticking sound (nothing unusual) and I can't locate the sound from the top of the motor, or near the idlers.

It makes the sound warm and cold, nuetral and in gear. I don't hear it much as the rpm's climb.

Sounds exactly like mine. You may have a header/manifold leak. I'm going to look into getting it checked out again. I have pacesetter long tubes, and I honestly think its a slight leak at the header, I'm planning on contacting another shop and have them take a look at it. I've had two shops tell me its a header leak so I'm just going to look into it to make sure before I spend the money on getting it taken care of.

More input anybody?

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
Seems like this is more common than I expected. Is there any signs to look out for if it were internal motor problems?

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
Could be your throwout bearing. Get in it and depress the clutch and see if it goes away. My 04 Cobra would make a constant ticking noise until I pressed in the clutch and then it would go away.

+1, I had this a couple of times over the years on other cars.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
you should also check your spark plugs

what you describe sounds similar to what i was hearing for about a month before one of mine blew out - i thought it was exhaust noise. spark plugs blowing out is common problem on ford modular engines

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
you should also check your spark plugs

what you describe sounds similar to what i was hearing for about a month before one of mine blew out - i thought it was exhaust noise. spark plugs blowing out is common problem on ford modular engines

Interesting, I will check them tonight if I can make the time. I took a video and will post it up soon, however, the video makes it almost sound worse than it is.

Users who are viewing this thread