Tick sound at cold start? help really needed!

sbvert04

Established Member
I have a 03 very Cobra, simple mods and 61,000 miles. Question: I live in Hawaii and its crazy expensive to even have a shop look at your car for an estimate so if you guys can help that would be awesome. 1# I'm almost positive that it has the tick, I have tried Mobil 1 and I'm now running Amsoil but it's still there, how much on average is it to repair theses at a reputable shop? #2 the car is making a sound on cold start that sounds like two marbles hitting each other but fades once the car is warm? Idk what the sound is but I don't like it kinda freaks me out to even get in the throttle. Same question as above how much should I be looking to pay if say it Were rod bearings or something of that nature? If you guys need a video to help diagnose what these sounds are I will be more than happy to put up a link. If you guys can help that's awesome, I would rather trust a SVT guru than a joe nobody from the dealer that's going to charge me $200 just to take a look at it. Btw $200 is what they actually quoted out here just to put it on a lift and look! I will be moving back to the mainland in a little over a month so any repairs would be at mainland prices, give or take $$ depending on the place. Thanks guys

heres a link to the video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1i-Za2pcEU&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The "tick" is actually pretty rare and you should do some searching on that and look for videos to compare the sound to verify thats the problem. You would have to buy the revised heads to take care of that. The marble sound could be the cats on your midpipe if your still running them. Try tapping a rubber mallet around that area to see if you hear anything. Over time they break up on the inside creating a marble like sound.

hotcobra03

Established Member
my blower made the marble noise..it still comes and goes..

your tick is another issue...i just replaced my head, cost 1500 to do myself,,,this was new ford head,gasket,bolts,oil..

does car tick when you have clutch pushed in? tob is common for noises..

what brand oil filter are you using? there are some that have been found to tick..

when my tick got bad you could hear it in a drive thru while waiting..

changing the head isnt that hard to do,,even for a first timer...there is a factory service manual download to use for you to follow steps..(found in stickys at top)

fast ford brian

Established Member
I had a noise a lot like that one with the same symptoms . Turned out it was the starter ring on the aluminum flywheel . It would rattle like hell when cold , but as soon as the aluminum got hot and expanded it would go away. It would have to cool down over night to start making a racket again. Drove me nuts for a month till I pulled the trans !

sbvert04

Established Member
How much is it to replace rod bearings? I have a lift to work with back home and usually do my own work but didn't know if I need to pull the crank to and have the journals worked. Etc.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
How much is it to replace rod bearings? I have a lift to work with back home and usually do my own work but didn't know if I need to pull the crank to and have the journals worked. Etc.

How about finding out how much it is to diagnose what your actual noise is?

At this point you do not know you have a rod bearing issue.

A rod knock is not going to go away when the engine is hot.

Do a compression test or leak down test before you do anything.

sbvert04

Established Member

I do agree just a little freaked out at thE moment! Trying to think of worst case scenario.

hotcobra03

Established Member
take another vid,,place camara on ground just behind drivers wheel..start car and after its idling..push clutch in and out a couple time ...

it sounded like a tob rattle/squeak...this is 1 step in finding issue and is free..this will tell if its engine or other

if this helps..mine is stock..has 325k,has gone thru 3 heads for ticks,feels like 12 tobs for rattle/squeak..

Last edited:

sbvert04

Established Member
take another vid,,place camara on ground just behind drivers wheel..start car and after its idling..push clutch in and out a couple time ...

it sounded like a tob rattle/squeak...this is 1 step in finding issue and is free..this will tell if its engine or other

if this helps..mine is stock..has 325k,has gone thru 3 heads for ticks,feels like 12 tobs for rattle/squeak..

will do, i will have to wait till the am for the car to sit overnight but i will get it up as soon as possible.

Rambro

Established Member

This!!! My car does the same thing. Knocking on start up then goes away as it warms up, it's done it for years. I did a compression test a while back and cylinder number 7 was low. Good luck OP.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a noise a lot like that one with the same symptoms . Turned out it was the starter ring on the aluminum flywheel . It would rattle like hell when cold , but as soon as the aluminum got hot and expanded it would go away. It would have to cool down over night to start making a racket again. Drove me nuts for a month till I pulled the trans !

I had this exact same issue happen last fall and finally got fixed this spring. But mine would do it all the time and got very loud once I started releasing the clutch pedal.

OP it's really hard to hear anything, I would try to capture another vid around the engine area. From doing some searchig the bassani midpipes are known to have the cats break apart. It's really hard to hear much of anything that sounds very problematic. Heres a vid of my bad stock flywheel with only 23k miles of use.

03 cobra tranny noise? - YouTube

sbvert04

Established Member
Have you pulled your plugs? Mine was ticking and once I changed them it went away.

I changed the plugs before I got the tune but have brand new ones just haven't put them in. I forgot to put that it started making the noise after I changed the oil. That is why I think it's in the motor not the trans.

Users who are viewing this thread