Thud sound shifing 1-2, 2-3-3-4???

GriffithUSAF

Established Member
I've had my 2015 PP for about a week now, with the Torsen. Mine makes the clunk (from the trunk area) the loudest from neutral to first, however, if I hold the clutch in and wait for a full second before putting it in gear, it doesn't do it. Same for going from first to second, no clunk if i leave the clutch in longer before going to second. It makes me not even want to use first, and just start in second. With the 3.73's, 1st is almost pointless anyways.

Mr_ATC

Established Member
CJ Pony Parts sells some rear diff bushings with an install video and Bill mentions in the comments the rear end thud is completely gone. Anyone here have them to verify? If not maybe that's a good avenue for ppl that can't stand the sound.

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
I have a 16' PP GT and i also get the thump sound as the rest have mentioned. Doesnt seem to affect anything just annoying. glad to see this is a normal occurrence since i dont know anything about these engines or trans coming from a New Edge GT

Lwnslw

Established Member
Currently have 300 miles on my 16' PP GT and I have the same noise. I have already installed the Steeda trans bushing insert and also the sub frame supports and its still does this. I will be ordering the Diff bushing inserts next week to see if that helps...

mike.s

Established Member
Currently have 300 miles on my 16' PP GT and I have the same noise. I have already installed the Steeda trans bushing insert and also the sub frame supports and its still does this. I will be ordering the Diff bushing inserts next week to see if that helps...

lemme know if it helps, the thud is getting annoying

Lwnslw

Established Member
lemme know if it helps, the thud is getting annoying

So I have installed the Steeda sub frame spacers, Diff bushing inserts, subframe braces and their alignment components and the thud is still there. I'm thinking tranny and diff fluids are next and hopefully a one piece driveshaft by years end.

Jay-rod427

Established Member
It is caused by the input shaft on the trans spinning at a different speed while engaging a gear. Most noticeably neutral to first, as someone said if you wait a second ( for the input shaft to slow down) it doesn't do it. Anytime there is slack in the drivetrain such as the driveshaft coupler, ring and pinion, trans gears, and torsen diff and you suddenly apply a small amount of force from the spinning components all of that slack gets taken up at once. Same applies to 2-3, and 3-4 shifts. The driveline is spinning with no load, then load is applied taking up all the slack.

Users who are viewing this thread