Thud sound shifing 1-2, 2-3-3-4???

PhantomX

Established Member
So I just picked up my all black PP 15 GT today and on the ride home noticed a weird clunk sound on the shifts mentioned in the title. Its an audible base thunk, you really can't feel it but you can sure hear it. If I go say 2 to neutral then 3rd no noise but right from 2-3 you can hear it sort of thunk into gear.

Anyone else experience this? Also getting a little clutch chatter out of it too...

gqneon

Established Member
Yeah I've got 2600 miles on my 15 PP and there is sometimes a thud of sorts. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, and drivelline bushing insert made no difference to the noise. (White line)

Last edited:

LuckyStrike

Established Member
mine does the same thing every now and then. Most audible when shifting into first from neutral at a stop light.
(2012 all black PP GT)

PhantomX

Established Member
Yup I hear it now and again on going into first, never on the downshift but an audible thud on the upshifts. If your hard on it it won't do it, it's under normal driving it does... We have a ticket open with Ford so we'll see what they say.

ridenfish39

Established Member
There are numerous threads on this in another forum. Ford has deemed this ''normal''.....like everything else LOL Mine does it as well.

MNCobra

Established Member
i am getting it as well...only on up shifts but i dont downshift unless i have to and it has happened...but with mine i notice i will be at a stop light knowing its going to turn green so i push in the Clutch and shit it to 1st and it thuds....even before its in gear....do you have that as well...also my car has stalled a couple times coming to a stop light/sign...my car is at the dealer now and they are trying to replicate the stalling and have not yet been able to...

gqneon

Established Member
No stalling here. I haven't stalled the car once since I bought it actually, somehow lol. Thud is there, pretty sure Dallas Mustang shop damaged my shifter doing my clutch swap so hopefully the MGW shifter will properly locate my shifts and cut the thuds. I downshift all the time, I just deal with it as the way it sounds.

gqneon

Established Member
Good to know. Man I am really stoked waiting for my MGW shifter. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, has told me how awesome they are and how they loved them on all their cars over the years. That speaks volumes for their products.

bmaxwell

Established Member
I just picked up a 15 PP 6M and it does the same thing. The other Mustangs I've had have done it to some extent as well. I'm personally not worried a single bit about it

4v_mach1

Established Member
I test drove a 15 pp and the transmission felt weird. It didn't want to go into gear so I kept it in N rolling off the freeway offramp. I definitely didn't purchase that one. I'm still waiting if I should order a 16 or a late 15 with better rebates with my xplan. I definitely want the pp, but I wish they had offered it in automatic.

weebz69

Established Member
I get it too. I wouldn't be too worried though I had a 11 gt500 and that damn thing you couldn't even speed shift with it. I rounded out reverse and 5th also took out 2nd gear.....now my 15 Chinese made tranny kicks butt can slam any gear I want and it goes right in....I mainly notice the clunking noise when im doing like 40 and I put it in 6th

PhantomX

Established Member
I've never had this on any of my other Mustangs and i've had 2 02's, 04 Cobra, 11 GT, 14GT and now 15GT all manual cars (1 auto but the old auto I don't even want to talk about, so terrible). This is the only car that makes that awful thud. I can actually feel it. I can replicate it all day too. Just push the clutch in, neutral, then put it in first and thud. I get it pretty bad on 1-4 then 5th and 6th it goes away. Drive it hard though and no thud, go figure.

gqneon

Established Member
What I do, from a stop, I put it in third then into first, easy smooth shift to first. Or sometimes second to first. But the shop jacked my shifter up doing my clutch install I think, which had something to do with gate alignment and my thud i think. MGW unit should be here this week.

DarkHelmet22

KEEP FIRING A**HOLES
Established Member
Just picked up my 15 PP and it does this. Its really annoying. Seems like the cars with the Torsen diffs are the ones that do it??

AMP-D

Established Member
Its common to the design of the unit. Unlike the Tremec models with tapered bearings that are loaded, the MT82 uses more of floating design which unfortunately causes the occasional thud sound. So far, we haven't seen it cause any issues as the unit has proven to handle a significant amount of power in some cases.

Users who are viewing this thread