Throttle Stops

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Do any of you have experinece or techniques to share in fabing up a throttle stop for the accelerator pedal? I have modded the pedal for easier heel/toe by adding a section of rubber hose to the end of the accelerator cable to raise the pedal. Well after some tech work and breaking my cruise control cable on the dyno and then my accelerator cable at the track this weekend we have determined that the pedal is traveling too much and is in need of a pedal stop. Any help you guys can give me in making one would be great. Thanks

racebronco2

Established Member
I made one for mine, mounts under the gas pedal. My pedal broke. I used one for a fox body and works for heel/toe without modding it.

David Hester

Established Member
I guess I'm still confused why anyone raises the acellerator pedal to facilitate heel and toe.:shrug: When I'm on the brakes, the brake pedal is even or maybe slightly lower than the gas. Why would anyone want the gas pedal a lot higher????
I've had Fox, SN95, New Edge, and S197 and have never had a problem with pedal height on any of them. Space between brake and gas pedals, maybe (Fox body pedal is metal and it bends over closer).

K2AHollywood

Established Member
I made one for mine, mounts under the gas pedal. My pedal broke. I used one for a fox body and works for heel/toe without modding it.
You wouldn't happen to have a link to where I could pick one up do you?

I guess I'm still confused why anyone raises the acellerator pedal to facilitate heel and toe.:shrug: When I'm on the brakes, the brake pedal is even or maybe slightly lower than the gas. Why would anyone want the gas pedal a lot higher????
I've had Fox, SN95, New Edge, and S197 and have never had a problem with pedal height on any of them. Space between brake and gas pedals, maybe (Fox body pedal is metal and it bends over closer).

Well a number of reasons really. At stock height the new edge pedal is extremely low, much lower then a fully depressed brake pedal. Plus with my line upgrades my pedal travel is minimal. By rasisng the height understand they are still not equal but when brake pressure is applied they are equal...which helps to facilitate heel/toe. Furthermore, technically a built in factory stop, the stock pedal height is so low it mashes into the carpet before you get full rotation of the throttle blade. By rasing it you are also making sure that when you hit the pedal you will be getting true WOT. It also takes the slack out of the pedal, naturally it has a lot of play in it before you are even movement of the throttle blades, so by rasing it you are making it much less sloppy and allows for quicker gear engagements and changes.

Hope these few reasons help with the confusion :beer:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member

David,

I am not doubting your experiences, but this is a common issue with the newer cars -- especially with the 99/01 Cobras. I don't know if the location of our intake or our TB (I even have an aftermarket TB).

I also modded my pedal in the same fashion as described by Hollywood a while back in order to have it closer to the height of the brake pedal during hard braking. Before the modification, the accelerator pedal was much, much lower than the brake pedal even during extremely hard braking. I physically could not get my ankle/foot to rotate enough to heel/toe. Now that I brought the gas pedal up, I can heel/toe without even thinking about it.

-Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread