Throttle Body on a 96 Cobra

96S/Cobra

Established Member
I have a question about the factory throttle body and it's limitations on my 96 Cobra. At what point does the factory tb become a restriction? In other words, how much power will a factory tb support before I should be concerned about upgrading it?

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Alot. Really you will only gain maybe 3rwhp from a larger TB. If you are going FI that number gets a little larger but not by much. Not worth the $$$ IMO.

96S/Cobra

Established Member
Alot. Really you will only gain maybe 3rwhp from a larger TB. If you are going FI that number gets a little larger but not by much. Not worth the $$$ IMO.

My set-up consists of:

Forged shortblock
Blower cams
Vortech T-trim @18+psi
Meth injection
Long tubes/full exhaust

So with 600+rwhp is is necessary to upgrade to a larger tb? Or will it not make much of a difference at all compared to my factory one.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
My set-up consists of:

Forged shortblock
Blower cams
Vortech T-trim @18+psi
Meth injection
Long tubes/full exhaust

So with 600+rwhp is is necessary to upgrade to a larger tb? Or will it not make much of a difference at all compared to my factory one.

On your set up you might see 10+rwhp. Still not a lot considering the expense of getting the TB and then modifying the intake hat to accept the TB. However, the throttle response that you get from a larger single blade may be worth it alone. Plus your cams may respond rather well to having more flow from the intake. In your case it may be worth it. I would look for a used one in the market section.

One of my friends has an Accufab single blade on his 03 Cobra and the throttle response is awsome compared to other 03 Cobra's running the stock TB. Of course different blower than what you have and the PD blowers see more benefit from larger TB's than us centri guys do.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
yea with you having all that power i would deff upgrade, the accufab you have to notch the intake, which isnt a big job, but ppl get scared, i bought a used BBK for 200 bucks it was a twin 65mm one with no need to notch the intake, increased thorttle resonse but havent been able to rehook up the cruise control which eats at me on long trips in 5th

MLS

Established Member
I have bbk dual 65mm and my cruise control still works great

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Shit I can't cruise in 5th anyway without it popping out of gear lol. I think at 600+ a bigger TB might not be a bad idea. If it were me, I probably wouldn't worry about it too much, but just keep an eye on the market section to see if a cheap one comes up.

96S/Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for all the replys guys, I really appreciate it. I was just concerned that the factory tb was a restriction in my whole set up, but maybe it's not quite as bad as I had thought.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
On n/a setups the TB isn't a restriction until the power gets near 400rwhp. FI combos will make more power with a larger TB but the return on investment is little.

We had a twin turbo Cobra make over 900rwhp with a stock TB.

Users who are viewing this thread