Thoughts on this TV

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
If the room receives a lot of natural light from windows/glass doors, the plasma will be very reflective.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
If the room receives a lot of natural light from windows/glass doors, the plasma will be very reflective.

Yea, I thought most of the newer ones didn't have a huge problem with that. The thing I don't like about the LED's are the unnatural colors

oldmodman

Established Member
I have a 65" Panasonic Plasma, one year old. It replaced a smaller LCD tv

The plasma is superior in every way. And it is in a pretty bright room. Sunlight can hit the screen directly in the late afternoon and it still looks great.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned

LUBaseball2

Established Member
If I were you I would skip the SMART tv and buy one without interwebs. If You want interwebs buy a $50 dvd/blu ray player that can do interwebs

Yea I was kinda wondering if the Smart TV is really gonna be worth it anyways with the new Xbox coming out. I already have a surround sound system that is WIFI capable

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
If this is going to be your main tv and you want to get something really good then go with a Panasonic or Samsung plasma. They make the best screen ls and honestly I wasn't for plasma until I owned one. The pictures and colors are just better than lcd/leds.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
If this is going to be your main tv and you want to get something really good then go with a Panasonic or Samsung plasma. They make the best screen ls and honestly I wasn't for plasma until I owned one. The pictures and colors are just better than lcd/leds.

I agree, am partial to having glass in my tv screens! Plasma has great color and is bang for the buck a great option.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Yea I was kinda wondering if the Smart TV is really gonna be worth it anyways with the new Xbox coming out. I already have a surround sound system that is WIFI capable

Its not worth the cost with the current xbox/ps3 media support.

both consoles have Netflix/hulu with built in browsers and ability to stream content loaded on any networked pc using media servers.

However I do believe those media servers (like Serviio) can transcode and have the content viewed to most dlna/smart tv sets.

LUBaseball2

Established Member

I agree, am partial to having glass in my tv screens! Plasma has great color and is bang for the buck a great option.

both consoles have Netflix/hulu with built in browsers and ability to stream content loaded on any networked pc using media servers.

However I do believe those media servers (like Serviio) can transcode and have the content viewed to most dlna/smart tv sets.

Thank you all for the info. I guess I'm gonna go with a 60inch Plasma for sure then

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member

With the right profiles serviio can transpose anything. That's what I use. I paid for the full version which wasn't much it works awesome on dlna tvs.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
What about burn-in on plasmas?

pretty much a thing of the past and was overblown when it was an actual issue years ago....Image persistence is still possible, but you would have to try pretty damn hard get a ghost image in a current gen plasma. If you did the image would go away with regular tv usage, as the phosphors would get back in line.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Just don't pause your screen on a plasma for like an hour or more... You'll be fine in burn in.

Plasma still look better than LCDs in my opinion, but LCDs now a days look really damn close.

I have both a 60 inch Samsung LCD and a 55 inch Samsung Plasma. The Plasma picture is brighter and looks better, but can be a pain in the ass on really sunny days.

Boosted T-4

GTFD
Established Member
I only go with Samsung. I have a 50" Samsung Plasma and I like it.

This particular model does have image retention. Say for instance, if you are watching ESPN and the bottom of the screen has things on scrolling along with the logo, that stuff will be somewhat visible when you turn the TV off.

JasonSnake

Established Member
I have the non-smart version of the LG 60" 5500. You truly get a lot for what you pay for. In my opinion, the LG plasma outdoes some of Samsungs that I've seen side by side at the store. I'm not talking about color or brightness, rather, the pixel density/size when looking at both. The Samsung seemed to have more space between each pixel, thus making it look more 720P'ish to my eyes (and yes, it was a 1080P model). The LG's pixels looked more uniform, hard to tell of any gaps or spaces between the pixels.

Most will say that won't notice the difference from afar, but my sofas are not too far from the TV so it would have bugged me if I had gone with the Samsung.

Users who are viewing this thread