Thoughts on the GT350

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
“Issues/quirts” aside its a fantastic DRIVERS car. It is truly multidimensional. Plenty of power to rip around town and get in trouble doing illegal things. Not gonna be king of the highway but will surely have a smile from ear to ear driving the thing from stop light to stop light or a proper road course setting.

P.S: forgot to add that as much as I hate the s550 looks…. The 350 track pack, IMO, is the nicest looking mustang that Ford has made.

LS WUT

Established Member
>20 has predator block, different wheels and gt500 spoiler. It is sort of between base and R of previous years.

I thought hard about getting one of these to build but passed. FPC is just too much of a weakness.

I would get a mach track pack if there is any chance you are thinking of mods.
No doubt man, thank you for the input! No plans to mode it truly, just enjoy her as she came! I’m sure we’ve all said this. I don’t do much track as far as auto cross and such. I do the 1/4 mile every once in a while, however with the temperature and humidity it never is worth it to me Half the time since the D/A sucks most of the time too.

LS WUT

Established Member
“Issues/quirts” aside its a fantastic DRIVERS car. It is truly multidimensional. Plenty of power to rip around town and get in trouble doing illegal things. Not gonna be king of the highway but will surely have a smile from ear to ear driving the thing from stop light to stop light or a proper road course setting.
Heck yeah, that’s what I wanted to hear. I haven’t driven one to much past the test drive stage. So I just wanted others to chime in on maybe things they’ve experienced during ownership, and driving for more than 3 miles.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly you’d be better off using that money for a serious garage.
You have some sweet rides and a shop/real estate is an appreciating asset and will allow you to store/enjoy the rides you have even more.
If you’re good on storage and the other cars/projects, then yes the 350 in the ‘19-20 range or an earlier model with a replaced Gen 2 engine is a fun manual NA track toy.
GT350 was the first Mustang I ever drove that felt like it could actually use all the power and probably 200hp more.
I personally wanted the more comfortable Recaros, digital dash, auto blip, no lift shift and reliability of the Gen 3 Coyote in the Mach 1 HP.
The Shelby will own on resale but I think the Mach 1 is better, at least for me. Try to drive both. If you’re ever up here you can have the Mach 1 anytime.
You have great taste!
-J

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Which seats do you have, and do you prefer them over the others? As I said before I’m not opposed to either one. I would just like some feed back on someone who’s driven them more than just a test drive.

I have a tech pack with comfort seats. I wanted heated/cooled for road tripping with this car. I drive it to work 2-3 days per week and weekend country back road carving. I drove it from Wisconsin to Utah and back in '21. 12 hour driving days back to back and 5500 miles in 10 days and the seats were fine imo. This year I'm planning on going to the Smoky Mountains.

Buy an R if you are 90+% track use. Buy a regular if you are 80% street. If you want a garage queen then it doesn't matter to me what you buy and stare at. Just keep that queen nice, because I might want another after this one gets up there in miles.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 16 tech pack, never had any oil consumption problems. Only problem I have had is the trans overheat issue on track days over 85 degrees. I am working on a cooler for the trans that is going to run fluid out of the drain, through a cooler and pumped back into the fill. We'll see how it works.
The car is still stock other than the rear wing, and it is still more than what my abilities are. When I think that I can drive it to it's very limit, then I might look into adding power.
After you have had the car for a while if you aren't tracking it, the lack of low end torque will start to annoy you. It's not like it doesn't go, it just feels like it should do so much more. Put it on a track, and your love for the car will return.

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The 350 is so dead at lower rpms. As derklug posted, it annoys me every time I drive it. So much so that I have considered twin turbos. At higher rpms and any type of handling, the 350 is a beast.

The Recaros could be more comfortable, but I wouldn’t want the comfort seats. A 2019 or 2020 350R would be my choice in the color I wanted if I didn’t already own one.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
After you have had the car for a while if you aren't tracking it, the lack of low end torque will start to annoy you. It's not like it doesn't go, it just feels like it should do so much more. Put it on a track, and your love for the car will return.

The 350 is so dead at lower rpms. As derklug posted, it annoys me every time I drive it. So much so that I have considered twin turbos. At higher rpms and any type of handling, the 350 is a beast.

You guys obviously know this high rpm gas motor does not have diesel torque. Keep the rpms above 4K like it's designed and the fun never stops. If you are using it incorrectly and expecting something it is not then you might be confused.

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hard to keep it above 4K when taking off unless your doing a burnout.

Can’t speak for derklug, but I am not using it incorrectly or confused. For someone who has never driven a GT350, the low end torque is surprisingly weak. Since the OP requested the experience driving a GT350, that is what I supplied.

How someone can always manage to constantly drive above 4K is beyond me. The GT350 shines at higher rpms as I posted earlier.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Ok here goes…

Ordered and received my 2020 GT350 in late October of 2019, early build #0097.
Immediately Put it away for the winter.
April ‘20 take it out and start driving it, breaking it in.
May ‘20 out to dinner with the wife, car starts shaking and metal on metal sound, smoke coming out of the hood. Towed to the dealer, next day diagnosis dropped a valve cylinder 8. Car has 536 miles.

Four weeks later, new motor, new cats, oil cooler and lines, alignment, and an 8 year Ford powertrain warranty.
Dealer says costs to ford under warranty almost $40,000 of which motor was $27,000.

I then proceeded to open track the car almost 20 days over the next 3 years at tracks such as Watkins Glen, gingerman, Charlotte motor speedway, road America, etc.
wound the hell of it and the car absolutely shined at the high rpms. The handling, the tremec, sport cup 2’s, all working together in one of the best balanced mustangs I’ve ever had.
Motor was rock solid and never used a drop of oil. Recaro seats were very comfortable and worked great with my Watson 4 point roll bar and harness belts, along with my helmet and HANS device.
I honestly have no regrets owning it, but also have no regrets in selling it last fall with 17,000 miles for what I paid for it back in October of 2019.

I didn’t get that confident feeling of owning it long term.

I therefore picked up a 2021 Mach 1 handling package car last summer. Plans are similar, roll bar, seat delete, etc and already have some track dates set up for this summer.
Main reason for buying was the reliability of the 5.0
Yes I give up some rpm’s of the FPC, and a little bit of horsepower, but the handling package of the Mach 1 is Similar to the outgoing 350, so I’m looking forward to being able to compare it.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Hard to keep it above 4K when taking off unless your doing a burnout.

Can’t speak for derklug, but I am not using it incorrectly or confused. For someone who has never driven a GT350, the low end torque is surprisingly weak. Since the OP requested the experience driving a GT350, that is what I supplied.

How someone can always manage to constantly drive above 4K is beyond me. The GT350 shines at higher rpms as I posted earlier.

There's a pedal to the left of the brake pedal and a stick on the center console that one can use to put or keep the car in the "fun-zone". ;) I find it very fun and engaging to drive, rather than the "me mash go pedal - me go fast" driving style. I have these cars too, and they aren't as fun to drive.

But then again I've had fun driving 100hp cars up to 850hp Porsche's. I had a RX7 for a bit that would redline at 10K and cruised at 5K. They are all so unique and fun to learn how to get the most smiles out of them.

Last edited:

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok here goes…

May ‘20 out to dinner with the wife, car starts shaking and metal on metal sound, smoke coming out of the hood. Towed to the dealer, next day diagnosis dropped a valve cylinder 8. Car has 536 miles.

Four weeks later, new motor, new cats, oil cooler and lines, alignment, and an 8 year Ford powertrain warranty.
Dealer says costs to ford under warranty almost $40,000 of which motor was $27,000.

I then proceeded to open track the car almost 20 days over the next 3 years at tracks such as Watkins Glen, gingerman, Charlotte motor speedway, road America, etc.
wound the hell of it and the car absolutely shined at the high rpms. The handling, the tremec, sport cup 2’s, all working together in one of the best balanced mustangs I’ve ever had.
Motor was rock solid and never used a drop of oil. Recaro seats were very comfortable and worked great with my Watson 4 point roll bar and harness belts, along with my helmet and HANS device.
I honestly have no regrets owning it, but also have no regrets in selling it last fall with 17,000 miles for what I paid for it back in October of 2019.

I therefore picked up a 2021 Mach 1 handling package car last summer. Plans are similar, roll bar, seat delete, etc and already have some track dates set up for this summer.
Yes I give up some rpm’s of the FPC, and a little bit of horsepower, but the handling package of the Mach 1 is Similar to the outgoing 350, so I’m looking forward to being able to compare it.
I forgot to mention Charlotte for the GT350 Track Attack. Hitting 140 in that car coming off a banked curve was a thrill. Great writeup.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I need to add that Ford kept in an little throttle trick in the programming where you can get some extra crackles and pops on shifts and deceleration. Running through canyon twisties is glorious, as the stock exhaust bounces off the walls.

LS WUT

Established Member
Honestly you’d be better off using that money for a serious garage.
You have some sweet rides and a shop/real estate is an appreciating asset and will allow you to store/enjoy the rides you have even more.
If you’re good on storage and the other cars/projects, then yes the 350 in the ‘19-20 range or an earlier model with a replaced Gen 2 engine is a fun manual NA track toy.
GT350 was the first Mustang I ever drove that felt like it could actually use all the power and probably 200hp more.
I personally wanted the more comfortable Recaros, digital dash, auto blip, no lift shift and reliability of the Gen 3 Coyote in the Mach 1 HP.
The Shelby will own on resale but I think the Mach 1 is better, at least for me. Try to drive both. If you’re ever up here you can have the Mach 1 anytime.
You have great taste!
-J
Hey J,
Thanks for your input as usual sir. You’re indeed correct about the Storage, and garage area. I appreciate the kind words about my cars, and for sure the ability to take the mach 1 out. So to touch on the Garage a little bit. I’m in the works of locating some land to purchase, and build on. It does pose a little bit of an issue with living in Sarasota. Not much open land that isn’t bought for new Condo’s, etc. Also with that being said there isn’t to much open areas for the curves if you will. If I lived up north and had some curves, and things of that nature I’d for sure want all of those things. Getting storage, and a garage with some lifts is my focus right now. I just know I’m going to retire my 13 Shelby in the next year or so. It’s been giving me some issues, so I think it’s time she gets parked for a while so I can sort all of it out.

LS WUT

Established Member
I have a tech pack with comfort seats. I wanted heated/cooled for road tripping with this car. I drive it to work 2-3 days per week and weekend country back road carving. I drove it from Wisconsin to Utah and back in '21. 12 hour driving days back to back and 5500 miles in 10 days and the seats were fine imo. This year I'm planning on going to the Smoky Mountains.

Buy an R if you are 90+% track use. Buy a regular if you are 80% street. If you want a garage queen then it doesn't matter to me what you buy and stare at. Just keep that queen nice, because I might want another after this one gets up there in miles.
Hey bud, thank you for your input! A lot of feedback for sure. I know I have to drive one for more of an extended period of time to really get a feel for both. I have recaro’s in my 13 Shelby. They’re comfortable to a degree. Did the Route 66 trip from florida. It wasn’t horrible, however I think I am spoiled a bit with my hellcat charger. Heated, cooled seats etc. so I’ll have to try both. As I stated above if I’m being honest I don’t have many curves, and don’t have any track days as far as auto cross etc. most of my driving would be cruising, and maybe taking it to work a few days a week. With all the traffic down here I have limited “spirited driving” room persay. So I’d say the R is out for me regardless.

LS WUT

Established Member
Ok here goes…

Thank you very much for your input, and feedback. It’s good to get a realistic thing of possible outcomes in regards to them. Since I was told to get an 18+ that’s good to know that maybe I should possibly look into a 2020 or so just incase?

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Hard to say

Not all 2015-18’s had oil consumption issues.

Not all 2019-20’s had bad valves.

I would not look for a low mileage car, issues may not have come up yet. Personally if I was looking at used, I’d want one with say 7000 + miles and full service history.

Also from what I’ve read most aftermarket warranty companies will not cover the 5.2 FPC ? Only a ford ESP would ? Maybe Nick @13COBRA could offer more insight ?

Also keep in mind the 2017 and up the track pack equipment is standard.

Also I believe it’s 2019 the seats (Recaro non heated cooled) were slightly changed and are not as tight in the hips

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Also from what I’ve read most aftermarket warranty companies will not cover the 5.2 FPC ? Only a ford ESP would ? Maybe Nick @13COBRA could offer more insight ?

Weird. I haven't heard of that issue.

We use Zurich and have serviced plenty of them over the last couple of years and it was covered.

Users who are viewing this thread