Thoughts on Real Estate- bubble burst or not?

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
So you don't know. Got it. A lot of former/current Homeowners (not investors) with all cash certainly are not financing. They are downgrading and pocketing the remaining cash.
Nor do you. Got it. The institutional money is magnitudes greater than joe homeowner that is downsizing.

Not saying it will happen. Just really cracks me up that people don’t think this can happen.

Blown 89

Established Member
Or the point being that just because they are purchased with cash does not mean there is any long term equity or leverage on the properties. Certainly seems to me it shouldn’t make people think the market is immune to a crash.
This. People aren't buying cash by dipping into their savings account or portfolio. They're financing through investment firms that offer cash on their behalf in order to beat out investors. Everything is inflated right now, not just real estate. This ride can't last forever

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I watched a video last month on YouTube (sorry, can't find it right now) about investing. The video said that if people invested in a mix of stocks/funds from the composite indexes (S&P500, DJ, Nasdaq...) over the past 50 years and didn't try to time the market or mess with their portfolios, their average annual growth would be 10%-12%. However, in reality, since people like to **** around and time the market and they don't play the long game, actual realized growth was less than 4%.

In other words, whether we are talking about the hot real estate market, buying a car you don't need during a chip crisis, etc. it seems like the more you mess with things and try to "get rich quick," the more it will cost you (unless you are a professional who knows wtf he is doing). In times like these, keep the car you have if it is running, keep the house you are living in if it meets your needs (it may not be perfect but nothing in life is), etc.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
This. People aren't buying cash by dipping into their savings account or portfolio. They're financing through investment firms that offer cash on their behalf in order to beat out investors. Everything is inflated right now, not just real estate. This ride can't last forever
What we’re seeing here is people selling their home up north for major bank and moving here thinking it’s still a bargain. Most are cash buyers. I personally hate it, as it’s getting so over populated. Infrastructure can’t handle it.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Nor do you. Got it. The institutional money is magnitudes greater than joe homeowner that is downsizing.

Not saying it will happen. Just really cracks me up that people don’t think this can happen.
Joe Homeowner makes up more than 80% of home purchases.

Here's another perspective on what is occurring:

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Joe Homeowner makes up more than 80% of home purchases.

Here's another perspective on what is occurring:

Agreed in solely single family. I was speaking of housing in general which is probably not specific enough.

Interesting article and it is obviously highly localized. I do find it kind of funny that the article seems to paint the institutional as the boogeyman (or certainly could become the boogeyman). I would still imagine that institutionals being 1/3 of buyers is going to have a localized impact.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
Buying a house in Los Angeles is borderline crazy right now. I know somebody who recently bought and they had to get an all cash bridge loan to even compete. The theory is you offer all cash just to close the property and then refinance into a traditional 30 yr loan. That bridge loan ain't cheap and has some hefty interest rates. This environment really sucks for first time buyers or people who just want to move up to a larger house. The CA housing market has been crazy for a few decades, nothing new here. It's been boom or bust with small windows of normalcy mixed in.

I agree with the above comment. Don't try to time the market with any of these asset classes. Buy and hold for the long term and you'll come out ahead no matter what.

MG0h3

Established Member
Just got off the phone with another realtor that called after I viewed a home on FB.

That home was sold so she started in on gathering my info.

I told her I’m really not interested in anything specific, would just have to be a hidden deal (good luck).

We talked and she said that she actually feels bad after some sales because people are overpaying in her opinion.

Broker that sold me my current home in 2016 said the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Real estate here is insane. Major housing shortage. However, my business is thriving. Beat my volume by 20% from last year. 3 closings this week and 6 for the month. 4 scheduled for January so far and more buyer clients than I can manage.

I am truly blessed in my business.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I hope no burst, bought a second house last year for rental/AirBnB. Was banking on inflation to hit.

tistan

Established Member
I hope no burst, bought a second house last year for rental/AirBnB. Was banking on inflation to hit.
You'll be alright on Air bnb stuff. Even if you only rent it 10 days out of the month, that should cover your expenses. The problem with second homes in the last crash is there was not Air BNB to advertise availability of empty spaces. My Uncle and Aunt own a real estate company in North GA they couldn't give away properties during the last crash.

MG0h3

Established Member
You'll be alright on Air bnb stuff. Even if you only rent it 10 days out of the month, that should cover your expenses. The problem with second homes in the last crash is there was not Air BNB to advertise availability of empty spaces. My Uncle and Aunt own a real estate company in North GA they couldn't give away properties during the last crash.

10 days to cover the months expenses???

I “might” be able to do that during peak season for 3-4 months of the year. Rest of the year when nightly rates are lower….not a chance. I need those 5-6k months during peak season to cover the slow months.

Of course this is all region specific but thinking you’ll break even at a 30% occupancy rate “may” work in only the rarest of cases.

That’s also taking into account I bought in 2019 and am under contract to sell for @60% more than I paid.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
So you are baking on the American Dream being killed for corporate greed? Nice
No, I just saw the Government dumping loads of cash around for poor reasons, and figured the outcome would be inflation. So I purchased an asset as a hedge/chance to make income. What should I have done? Changed my profile picture to say I'm against inflation?
With high inflation, wouldn’t you expect people to have to tighten down on pleasure spending?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

It would shift what they would do. They might not go to Florida from my state, but they might book a weekend at a nice lake over the summer. After the lock downs, I don't think sitting at home is a popular option for a lot of people.

q6543

Established Member
The market will correct. Those who ignore history...
Correct yes. 100% to be expected.
Some of these people are thinking that there's a bubble that will pop.

If real rates got to 6 or 7% that would eat into home prices... we're at NEGATIVE 6%... it's a long way to go.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Correct yes. 100% to be expected.
Some of these people are thinking that there's a bubble that will pop.

If real rates got to 6 or 7% that would eat into home prices... we're at NEGATIVE 6%... it's a long way to go.
I'm old enough to remember when 6 or 7 percent was considered a reasonable rate.

Users who are viewing this thread