Thoughts on my first spark plug changing adventure...

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Hey, gang--

I finally got around to swapping the spark plugs on my '00 Lightning last night. I ran out of time and only changed 3 of the 8. Some thoughts...

-Whoever said the little bolts that hold down the coil packs are 7mm was mistaken. The bolts are actually 9/32 SAE size. My 7mm would round the edges off the bolts, and the 9/32 socket (hard to find) fit perfectly.

-It is shocking how few threads hold in the plugs on a '00. Stunning, really. I went very slowly on both loosening and tightening them and felt like a pansy. But, you have to do that or a stripped thread is in the cards for you, IMHO.

-The rearmost plugs on both sides look like a complete joy to change. Not. I'll be getting to them later on in the week. Beer will be needed.

-The factory platinum plugs looked pretty good for 40k miles use. However...the electrodes were looking worn out and it was time for a change.

-I went with Autolite AR103 plugs and gapped them conservatively at .040 inches.

-(Edit) I also cleaned out the throttle body while I was in there. Had a fair amoutn of oil and gook in there. Throttle response on the test drive was improved dramatically. The 3 new plugs also helped improve the idle.

Your thoughts/comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited:

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
I did mine also about three weeks ago. Same thing as you said except a had 2 friend helping me so I got it done at 10:30 at night. I went with the Denso IT20's. When I went for the test drive everything went fine. Idles just like stock, and feels great at WOT. But its like you said, the rear 2 plugs a pita to change!
Have fun doing them!

jster171

CRACKER
Established Member
OK guys, I plan on changing mine in my 04 before I have it dyno tuned in a few weeks. I'll have the #4 pulley on at that time. Are the IT20 a better choice for mild mods than the IT22's?

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
Originally posted by jster171
OK guys, I plan on changing mine in my 04 before I have it dyno tuned in a few weeks. I'll have the #4 pulley on at that time. Are the IT20 a better choice for mild mods than the IT22's?

Yes. That is what they told me when I called up LFP. They said unless your running some major mods, the IT20's will do just fine.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Originally posted by jster171

I feel the AR103 plugs are a better plug. I've heard several stories about Densos burning off the tip.

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
I'd take the 20 minute route, if I could.

As for the 7mm coil pack bolt...I have a 6-point 7mm socket and it really didn't fit like it should. It actually began to round off the first bolt I put it on. Tried it on the second coil pack...same result.

The 9/32 fit on there like a glove, however.

So, I went with it. YMMV.

Depends...
If you want to waste the money, go with a Denso IT-20 or 22 depending on your plans for mods...

If you want to go the casual route, NGK BR7EFs

OH-MAN

Established Member
Originally posted by Rainman15
4lb lower, and conservative tune on my 03. Which plug do I
need to buy and from whom?

I do not at this time run them but will on my next change NGK TR6
They are inexpensive and a very good sturdy plug

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
I'd go with what Larry said or the NGK's. No one has any bad stories on them. I'm not too familiar with the Denso plugs to know. I had Autolites in my Dakota and they were fine. But then again, my Dakota was sloooooooowww!! Just my .02

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Originally posted by OkiedokieRidge
Just FYI, there is only about .006" difference between 7mm and 9/32. I'd say the difference is in the tolerancing of your tools. :shrug:

Dave

True. Probably a piece of crap socket is all it really was. I'm just glad I had the 9/32 there to get the job done.

Got 3 more of the plugs done last night. Only the rearmost two on the driver side remain unchanged.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Originally posted by LIGHTNING LARRY
I feel the AR103 plugs are a better plug. I've heard several stories about Densos burning off the tip.

What are AR103's? Never heard of them before. I'm not looking forward to changing the plugs, but it HAS to be easier than it was on my LT1.

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
LT1 plugs <shudder>. Seen 'em, can't imagine actually changing them.

AR-103 plugs are Autolite copper plugs. I went with them based on the suggestions of a few forum members here. So far...they idle nicely. No ETs yet to see if they made any improvements.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Originally posted by SERprise SVT
LT1 plugs <shudder>. Seen 'em, can't imagine actually changing them.

AR-103 plugs are Autolite copper plugs. I went with them based on the suggestions of a few forum members here. So far...they idle nicely. No ETs yet to see if they made any improvements.

LT1 plugs are quite an adventure. I got it down to about 2 hours, 2 hours and 15 minutes or so. The trick was to get #6 and #8 from underneath after dropping the starter.

Is AR-103 the actual part number? What heat range should I get after a 4# pulley?

Users who are viewing this thread