Thoughts on Magnuson TVS?

daschmidty

Established Member
I've spent the last ~18 months toying with the idea of supercharging my 12 GT, unable to convince myself to pull the trigger (mostly due to the sticker shock). After doing lots of reading here and elsewhere, I've determined a PD blower seems like the right choice for what I want (will just be a street car - looking for a power bump but I am not ready to trek down the path of built motor etc).

This forum has a lot of love for the Roush and VMP blowers, but there seems to be little discussion of the Magnacharger (haven't seen anything bad, just very little in general). It seems to have an advantage in ease of installation, and a huge lead on the price front (the full Maggie kit is available from Steeda right now for under $5K).

What I have been trying to figure out is what exactly would I be trading off by choosing the Mag. over the more popular options? If I wanted to get a new tune later, will I struggle to find someone to support it? I don't want to end up with a lame duck. Anyone with this blower and what have you done with it? (just bolted on and run or do any further tweaking).

1969honda

Established Member
From my *limited* knowledge of blowers and tuning I would say that a blower is a blower when it comes to tuning. You still have to start somewhere with the fuel and timing curves and adjust from there until it is all smooth and in sync. If you have a good tuner near by you that says he can tune a car with a VMP he should have the ability to do any TVS style blower.

All TVS have the same Eaton rotor packs, only the housing design changes, which in turn effects the blower efficiency and characteristics.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The Magnuson is a good blower. Do a search on our 2012 GT project car and you'll find several articles about the Magnuson TVS on it. Livernois has a really nice intake for them now, which I consider a must have item. The biggest issues that blower has is its 6-rib belt and use of the stock throttle body. Both will lead to less power production potential than a VMP unit. It also has what I consider an undersized intercooler system, but for the average user it's not an issue.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I've spent the last ~18 months toying with the idea of supercharging my 12 GT, unable to convince myself to pull the trigger (mostly due to the sticker shock). After doing lots of reading here and elsewhere, I've determined a PD blower seems like the right choice for what I want (will just be a street car - looking for a power bump but I am not ready to trek down the path of built motor etc).

This forum has a lot of love for the Roush and VMP blowers, but there seems to be little discussion of the Magnacharger (haven't seen anything bad, just very little in general). It seems to have an advantage in ease of installation, and a huge lead on the price front (the full Maggie kit is available from Steeda right now for under $5K).

What I have been trying to figure out is what exactly would I be trading off by choosing the Mag. over the more popular options? If I wanted to get a new tune later, will I struggle to find someone to support it? I don't want to end up with a lame duck. Anyone with this blower and what have you done with it? (just bolted on and run or do any further tweaking).
We have killer install packages, mail order kits and tuner kits available on the Maggie's for costs that can't be beat. The install price is so good it's not worth doing it yourself. We are ready to ship or book install today. We have these kit's for the 2015+ as well!

SVTStampede

Established Member
Livernois has a really nice intake for them now, which I consider a must have item. It also has what I consider an undersized intercooler system, but for the average user it's not an issue.

I talked to someone at Livernoise this week and they told me they do not have an intake for it, and that the one in the picture on their site was a home-brew one by a customer.

I would like to know if there is one, and I was misinformed.

Also, which part of the system did you find to be undersized. The pump, the heat exchanger, or the actual intercooler? Thanks

Smokievol

Established Member
I have a TVS 1900 Maggie on my 2008GT with about 50,000 miles on the unit. Besides the initial tune I have had zero problems with the Maggie. Its tuned to 410 at the wheels on an automatic with 8 lbs of boost. Great for a daily driver and looks oem with GT500 Ford Racing CAI.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I talked to someone at Livernoise this week and they told me they do not have an intake for it, and that the one in the picture on their site was a home-brew one by a customer.

Also, which part of the system did you find to be undersized. The pump, the heat exchanger, or the actual intercooler? Thanks

The intercooler system as a whole is undersized compared to every other PD blower on the market. It's not a problem unless you're hot-lapping. The pump is the same one pretty much everybody uses though.

I have a TVS 1900 Maggie on my 2008GT with about 50,000 miles on the unit. Besides the initial tune I have had zero problems with the Maggie. Its tuned to 410 at the wheels on an automatic with 8 lbs of boost. Great for a daily driver and looks oem with GT500 Ford Racing CAI.

I have the same unit (but modified) on my Explorer. It's been nothing but great.

daschmidty

Established Member

I haven't seen one at Livernois either, but C-F-M does make a custom intake kit for this blower:
https://www.c-f-m.com/performancepa...g-GT-5-0-with-Magnuson-MagnaCharger-p4247.htm

Users who are viewing this thread