Thoughts on DCT

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I've seen that list Tob, but it's Wikipedia and we know sometimes info on wiki isn't true.

I've only just checked on a Ferrari MB, the people that own and drive these cars (if they are mechanically involved like you and me) should know better than us...…………...just saying.

I went to various Ferrari outlets first and they were all over the map. I then looked at the Wiki and felt it provided a much better perspective across a far wider range.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Significant HP will likely be quite easy to extract on this new engine, and the head engineer on the 500 project has already stated the car utilizes tq mgmt. Will be very interested to see how this DCT holds up to 800-900rwhp. It may sting a little bit toasting a $20K transmission. Fords/Dealers appetite to honor warranties may not be as generous as in the past.

If that transmission is only $20k, I would be shocked. That is probably closer to what the repair bill will be. My little Evo X DCT was a 6-speed transmission that cost $12k, and only had a 347 lb/ft max torque rating.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
S It may sting a little bit toasting a $20K transmission. Fords/Dealers appetite to honor warranties may not be as generous as in the past.

One of the first things I mentioned to Nick was that I was considering the extended Ford warranty mainly due to the engine and DCT. There's 40K+ (retail) in those two items alone.

If that transmission is only $20k, I would be shocked. That is probably closer to what the repair bill will be. My little Evo X DCT was a 6-speed transmission that cost $12k, and only had a 347 lb/ft max torque rating.

Shocked it is then as that's what it costs, trans alone. And I can see units getting shipped back to Tremec in Wixom as opposed to Wilbur taking a crack at it at your local dealer. If units fail, at least early on, I'd imagine all new ones will be installed for quite some time.

I just had a conversation regarding Ford's actual costs with respect to Tier suppliers with an engineer that worked on this car among other jobs with various other manufacturers. He said the rough, general fraction that is used is 1/6th the retail price and then suggested for sake of argument to consider 1/5th. This is sans certain ancillaries but it shows how much markup or margin there may be.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Good point on the normal markup being a point of consideration for a lower price.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Question is, has Ford bumped up their margin on this one due to perceived value or possibly the success of the GT350 or are they right line with previous calcs?

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
There's the cost of the dct...

Then there's the fully burdened cost of the dct which includes software design and engineering. Hundreds or more likely thousands of man hrs.

Not to mention the acquisitions (businesses and honing machines) that were made in order for tremec to be able to mftr this trans in the first place.

Car has a warranty.. Will look into extension later before mine expires if there are concerns assuming that's not an issue.

Then again by yr 2 or 3 I expect ppl may get there hands in these too and figure out how to fix any weak points

gofast15

Established Member
Tony, I see times all over the map and many of Ferrari's cars are slower than 100ms. I saw a list showing a spectrum of fast shift times this morning...

• Lamborghini Aventador LP 700-4 [Single clutch ISR gearbox]: 50ms[3]
  • Ferrari 430 Scuderia: 60 ms[4]
  • Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale 2016: 60ms[5]
  • BMW M5 E60 with SMG III: 65-250 ms[6]
  • BMW M3 E46 with SMG II: 80 ms[7]
  • BMW M3 E92 with M-DCT: 80 ms
  • Bugatti Veyron (DSG): 100 ms[8]
  • Ferrari FXX: 100 ms[9]
  • Drag car: 100 ms[circular reference]
  • Maserati GranTurismo S Cambiocorsa: 100 ms
  • Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG: 100 ms[7]
  • Fastest Automatic/semi-automatic transmission: 100 ms
  • Lexus LC500: 120ms[10]
  • Chevrolet Camaro ZL1: ~150 ms (36% faster than PDK[11])
  • Clio RS EDC 200: 150 ms (race mode)[12]
  • Enzo Ferrari: 150 ms[7]
  • Nissan GT-R: 150 ms (R Mode)
  • FXX Evoluzione: 160 ms
  • Lexus LFA: 200 ms
  • Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale & Ferrari F430: 250 ms[7]
  • BMW M3 E36 with SMG I: 250 ms[7]
  • Aston Martin Vanquish: 250 ms[7]
  • The fastest (Race gearbox) manual: 250 ms[citation needed]
  • Ferrari 575M: 280 ms
  • Lamborghini Performante DCT LDF: 290 ms
Other Mentions:

• AUDI (DSG)(Also S tronic): 8 ms*[circular reference]
  • Volkswagen (DSG)(Also S tronic): 8 ms*[circular reference]
  • Alfa Romeo Mito & Alfa Romeo Giulietta (2010)Dual Dry Clutch Transmission TCT: 8 ms*[13]
*This is an impossibly fast claim which is widely seen on the internet. This could refer to the gear engagement time of the DCT transmission, which would be the time it takes for the shift fork to select the next requested gear. Actual Up-shift time for the VW DSG and PDK may be closer to 200ms.

I'd say the GT500's Tremec DCT is pretty ****ing fast considering the above.:)

I think many of those times are way wrong . Like the ZL1 150ms - that doesn't include converter slip .
No way 50ms for the single disc in Avendators .
here are 2 videos showing a difference between single disc ISR and DCT

gofast15

Established Member
The other beautiful thing about DCT transmissions is a response to paddle shifters . Response to paddles shifters in my R8 is crazy fast . My last 2 cars had DCT transmissions , they are fun to drive with crazy fast upshifts and downshifts. GTR DCT trans was great but little clunky and the logic in auto mode was stupid, shifting into 6th gear at like 30mph . Audi S-tronic DCT in awesome, super smooth in auto / comfort mode but very aggressive in Performance mode

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If I could put a DCT with paddles in my ACR for less than $20k, it'd already be in there.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I think many of those times are way wrong...No way 50ms for the single disc in Avendators.

From C&D just prior to the Aventador coming out...

"It’s a seven-speed single-clutch automated manual gearbox called ISR (for independent shifting rods). Lambo claims it is 40 percent faster than the Gallardo’s sometimes-clunky single-clutch e-gear transmission, and 50 percent faster than a dual-clutch transmission, with shifts taking just 50 milliseconds."

New Lamborghini V12 Details: Murciélago Replacement News – Car and Driver

gofast15

Established Member
From C&D just prior to the Aventador coming out...

"It’s a seven-speed single-clutch automated manual gearbox called ISR (for independent shifting rods). Lambo claims it is 40 percent faster than the Gallardo’s sometimes-clunky single-clutch e-gear transmission, and 50 percent faster than a dual-clutch transmission, with shifts taking just 50 milliseconds."

New Lamborghini V12 Details: Murciélago Replacement News – Car and Driver
Looks like manufacture claims are different then real world numbers . I think it was just a Lambo selling tactics . Same as the Demon 140mph trap speed vs 131-133mph real world numbers

Snoopy49

Established Member
I wonder how long it will take for someone to transplant a Mustang GT auto shifter into a 2020 GT500? With all the people that dislike the "KNOB" there may be a market for a stick.
I am waiting to see what George at MGW comes up with, if anyone can come up with a manly "KNOB", it's George.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Guys on hellcat.org are claiming that ZF 8 is 200 don't know if true or not.

I see .25 to .3 seconds here

The 1-2 and 2-3 are horrible like .35 but the 3-4 and 4-5 are better like .225

He runs a [email protected] it seems on the fast side of demonville. 45° day at 450altitude. 0-60 2.6 seconds.

The 2 gearshifts to 60 thing is probably hurting 0-60 by half a second imo.

gofast15

Established Member
Here is how Audi S-tronic DCT shifts in my car . If the GT500 shits and has the same response to shift pedals , you guys will be happy . I'll compare them when my GT500 shows up , it's from a small Ford dealer so it will probably be in the later run , I'm thinking around Feb-March

LostM

Established Member
I think DBK said better than bmw dct and not as good as pdk which I believe he thinks is the best in the world.

20190620_182655.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread