Thoughts on DCT

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I've been thinking about the DCT and have started to think it might be not only faster but fun to drive with quick manual upshifts and downshifts.

Just curious other than performance what are the thoughts on driving fun vs a manual.

Anyone have experience with a DCT on a performance car. My daughter's Hyndai has one but I don't think that counts as it's got 130hp.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
It's fun for a short while but not nearly as fun as rowing your own gears. The majority of the time on the street, you'll end up leaving it in automatic mode, which is as boring as a standard automatic.

blk02edge

Established Member
They are both very fun and even though the higher powers say im wrong I do believe both should be an option.

But... By far THE most fun transmission is a sequential but will likely never be seen on a street car

Lacquer

Established Member
They are both very fun and even though the higher powers say im wrong I do believe both should be an option.

But... By far THE most fun transmission is a sequential but will likely never be seen on a street car

This has been rehashed so many times, which is more fun is a matter of opinion. After driving good DCT cars, I find them far more fun and will not buy another sports or track car without a DCT ( or sequential). I agree about a choice, as I would love to buy a GT350R with a DCT. The reality will always be they can't make everyone happy.

blk02edge

Established Member
This has been rehashed so many times, which is more fun is a matter of opinion. After driving good DCT cars, I find them far more fun and will not buy another sports or track car without a DCT ( or sequential). I agree about a choice, as I would love to buy a GT350R with a DCT. The reality will always be they can't make everyone happy.
As long as it doesnt have a torque converter, im happy in any car on the track.

RBB

Established Member
I had an M3 with DCT and it was impressive....shifted very quickly. There’s just something about rowing your own gears, though, that can’t be replaced. For me the DCT just got old and boring after a while.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I've said this before...……...we don't know how this DCT is going to behave once in people's hands. All we know about it is 7 speeds and Ford said 100ms or slightly lower shift times. In the DCT world 100ms shifts aren't that fast.

Since the reveal back in January, Ford have said they are working on the engine to get more hp/torque #'s out of it (and it looks like they have done that), but they also should have worked on the DCT to get it working more robustly if they didn't do that already, like maybe get the shift times down that would make it more lively and enjoyable to use.

The best DCT's (like Ferrari) rip off shifts in 40ms, F1 cars are under 20.

What are the shift times of the Getrag DCT in the Ford GT anyone know??

Lacquer

Established Member
[QUOTE="

What are the shift times of the Getrag DCT in the Ford GT anyone know??[/QUOTE]

Really Fast and Really Fun! :D

Cman01

hello
Established Member
@Tob Usually upshifts, d/s might even be a bit quicker. Not sure if Ferrari's DCT is WC or DC if I owned one I just want to drive it would let the normal folk worry about that.

Winning the lottery for me will put me in an 812 Superfast, my current "lust" after Ferrari.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's fun for a short while but not nearly as fun as rowing your own gears. The majority of the time on the street, you'll end up leaving it in automatic mode, which is as boring as a standard automatic.
SOME will agree with that, but not all!

We had one one the wife’s M3. It was a blast. I still love manuals, but the DCT in the Shelby should be a riot. It should also be an option.
I agree!! I don't have a DCT in my G70, but the transmission is crisp and fast shifting. After almost 3 months, I'm still loving it over a manual. And I do like manual transmissions. I just believe that the new autos and DCTs are exceptional and make a performance car just as much fun as with a manual. And like I said above, some just prefer/want a manual for rowing pleasure. Which is fine.

I also firmly believe that the 2020 GT500 should have been offered with both a 7-speed manual and the DCT.

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
This is a dumb argument. I'll tell you why. The DCT will DESTROY any driver using a manual. Let me tell you what's not FUN. Buying a manual hellcat to ROW THE GEARS as some say. Then lining up next to the exact same car with an auto and getting DESTROYED.

Stop bitching about the DCT. It's going to be epic and fun as F@#K connected to that power plant. I'd just worry about reliability and holding up after repeated launches. Ya'll old manual farts need to realize these autos are the future.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Tony, I see times all over the map and many of Ferrari's cars are slower than 100ms. I saw a list showing a spectrum of fast shift times this morning...

• Lamborghini Aventador LP 700-4 [Single clutch ISR gearbox]: 50ms[3]
  • Ferrari 430 Scuderia: 60 ms[4]
  • Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale 2016: 60ms[5]
  • BMW M5 E60 with SMG III: 65-250 ms[6]
  • BMW M3 E46 with SMG II: 80 ms[7]
  • BMW M3 E92 with M-DCT: 80 ms
  • Bugatti Veyron (DSG): 100 ms[8]
  • Ferrari FXX: 100 ms[9]
  • Drag car: 100 ms[circular reference]
  • Maserati GranTurismo S Cambiocorsa: 100 ms
  • Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG: 100 ms[7]
  • Fastest Automatic/semi-automatic transmission: 100 ms
  • Lexus LC500: 120ms[10]
  • Chevrolet Camaro ZL1: ~150 ms (36% faster than PDK[11])
  • Clio RS EDC 200: 150 ms (race mode)[12]
  • Enzo Ferrari: 150 ms[7]
  • Nissan GT-R: 150 ms (R Mode)
  • FXX Evoluzione: 160 ms
  • Lexus LFA: 200 ms
  • Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale & Ferrari F430: 250 ms[7]
  • BMW M3 E36 with SMG I: 250 ms[7]
  • Aston Martin Vanquish: 250 ms[7]
  • The fastest (Race gearbox) manual: 250 ms[citation needed]
  • Ferrari 575M: 280 ms
  • Lamborghini Performante DCT LDF: 290 ms
Other Mentions:

• AUDI (DSG)(Also S tronic): 8 ms*[circular reference]
  • Volkswagen (DSG)(Also S tronic): 8 ms*[circular reference]
  • Alfa Romeo Mito & Alfa Romeo Giulietta (2010)Dual Dry Clutch Transmission TCT: 8 ms*[13]
*This is an impossibly fast claim which is widely seen on the internet. This could refer to the gear engagement time of the DCT transmission, which would be the time it takes for the shift fork to select the next requested gear. Actual Up-shift time for the VW DSG and PDK may be closer to 200ms.

I'd say the GT500's Tremec DCT is pretty ****ing fast considering the above.:)

RBB

Established Member
This is a dumb argument. I'll tell you why. The DCT will DESTROY any driver using a manual. Let me tell you what's not FUN. Buying a manual hellcat to ROW THE GEARS as some say. Then lining up next to the exact same car with an auto and getting DESTROYED.

Stop bitching about the DCT. It's going to be epic and fun as F@#K connected to that power plant. I'd just worry about reliability and holding up after repeated launches. Ya'll old manual farts need to realize these autos are the future.
I don't think there's anyone out there who doesn't realize the DCT is faster, we all get it. Some just prefer the experience of shifting their own gears, myself included. The large majority of buyers probably never even get into any type of racing situation with these cars, street or strip. It's all just about having fun, and a manual is simply more fun to drive. I'm not complaining about Ford's decision, though, I would just prefer a manual.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I've had a couple DCT's. The best was an EVO X MR (SST). It was fun, but there were still occasions where it didn't want to do exactly what I wanted to do quick enough, and it was at the time considered one of the best DCT style transmissions on the market that wasn't in a super car costing north of $200k.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I've seen that list Tob, but it's Wikipedia and we know sometimes info on wiki isn't true.

I've only just checked on a Ferrari MB, the people that own and drive these cars (if they are mechanically involved like you and me) should know better than us...…………...just saying.

458 Speciale shifting time

Yeah, some models are slower (like really...………..we're talking ms here), compared to you and me they're all quick shifting. We're splitting hairs here.

edit: like I've said before, the DCT is the X factor here both positive and negative. It will shift quick, the car should go like stink BUT...……...how is it going to hold up to abuse and MMOOORRREEE POWAH /TORQUE BABY in the long run and will shifts still be precise or get better with time and eventual improvements/updates from Ford in later model year cars????

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Significant HP will likely be quite easy to extract on this new engine, and the head engineer on the 500 project has already stated the car utilizes tq mgmt. Will be very interested to see how this DCT holds up to 800-900rwhp. It may sting a little bit toasting a $20K transmission. Fords/Dealers appetite to honor warranties may not be as generous as in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread