Thoughts on Becoming a Meth Head...

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I was originally thinking about putting a 75-100 shot on my Cobra before the 1/2 mile race I'm entered to run in September, but now I'm thinking about a meth kit instead. I figured it would be a cost-effective way of adding some horsepower as well as keeping temps under control as it will still be quite warm here in Georgia in September. I'll eventually be adding a twin screw, ported heads, and cams so meth would be a nice addition to the foundation versus a nitrous kit that I would have to uninstall and try to sell.

What's everyone's opinion on methanol injection kits, which one's best, horsepower gains, tuning considerations, etc.?

Cyclerick

Established Member
I've run a 35 shot for cooling in the past and just recently installed an Alky control meth system. I find the meth system really lowers my AITs and allows me to add timing to my tune due to the added octane. As I run a Paxton and my meth is boost controlled I use very little meth. Rather than going with the standard use of washer tank, I installed my pump and a 1/2 gallon tank where my battery used to be. The 1/2 gallon lasts for the duration of a tank of gas.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I've run a 35 shot for cooling in the past and just recently installed an Alky control meth system. I find the meth system really lowers my AITs and allows me to add timing to my tune due to the added octane. As I run a Paxton and my meth is boost controlled I use very little meth. Rather than going with the standard use of washer tank, I installed my pump and a 1/2 gallon tank where my battery used to be. The 1/2 gallon lasts for the duration of a tank of gas.

Since yours is boost controlled, you just have to run one tune, correct? Any idea what sort of horsepower gains you've seen?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Not many Terminator guys run meth injection systems.

Are you planning on tuning the engine to take maximum advantage of the meth injection system?

Now consider what happens to your engine should the system fail or malfunction.........not pretty

I would tune the engine to run without it which will still add a little power due to the cooling effect and it adds a safety factor against detonation.

Make sure you spay it downwind of the supercharger liquid hitting the spinning rotors is abrasive.

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
I had meth on my old car i used it for octane boost to run 91 in a 94 tune car. it worked great for that never did do any dynos or different tune to see what it would add in hp. did have the pump go out on me had some good pinging but i guess i had a good tune bc it never blew up and its still running. I would definitely do it again.

Cyclerick

Established Member
Just one tune for meth. As far as failure is concerned, you're always taking a chance when you run a tune or boost. If you check your meth level on a regular basis you should be fine if you run a safe tune. I expect to add 2 or 3 degrees of timing. I'm spraying mine after SC and AFM, just before TB. Meth will protect your engine should you get faulty gas. Alky control sells quality systems. Make sure to purge the meth from your pump when you store your car.

Last edited:

s351

Established Member
Nothing wrong with running meth just don't go crazy aggressive with the tune, I hate when people use the what happens if your pump fails. What happens if a fuel pump fails, what happens if an injector stops, It's all the same shit.

Huff-n-puff

Established Member
Years ago I ran the Snow Performance kit on my 97 Cobra with a D1SC at around 20 psi. I was already running higher compression, about 10.5:1 so thought of it as some added protection. It picked up about 15hp on the dyno but I think was much safer. I used the washer fluid reservoir for the tank. I was plagued with leaks at all of the fittings over time and also it used so much methanol that I was constantly having to fill the tank. On my next engine I went with 8.9:1 compression and ditched the meth. I think for a dedicated race car it's a good thing but for a street car way too much hassle. Meth is also super corrosive so you don't want to spill any on your paint. Hope this helps.

Cyclerick

Established Member
Nothing wrong with running meth just don't go crazy aggressive with the tune, I hate when people use the what happens if your pump fails. What happens if a fuel pump fails, what happens if an injector stops, It's all the same shit.

Exactly. Any number of regular things can go wrong like a faulty wide band O2 sensor that gives you lean fuel trims.

03_uni-B

@03_uni_b
Established Member
24368947_zps5f9zqsbm.jpg

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I totally thought this thread was going in a different direction. #BreakingBad

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

This. Meth is a great supplement, but you don't want to use it support a setup that is way beyond the ragged edge.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Definitely not running a ragged edge setup or tune right now. However, my pulley setup builds heat fast...2.7" upper with 4lb. Lower on a Stegmeier Stage 7 ported Eaton. I'm thinking the meth will be very beneficial on bringing down IAT's and improving recovery time between runs. I've got to get it retuned anyway so I figured why not do this first.

There was a post referencing installing the nozzle after the blower...I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but isn't this a little difficult to do with an Eaton or twin screw unless you spend some coin to modify the lower intake?

03_uni-B

@03_uni_b
Established Member
I will be curious to hear since I will have a 2.93 and 4lb lower.

What numbers are you seeing with the 4# and the 2.7?

s351

Established Member
On a pd blower setup, your using the meth for octane not cooling I hope your not thinking it's going to change your Temps that much.

Cyclerick

Established Member
On a PD blower, some guys go both pre and post boost to get both the octane and cooling effect as PDs produce a lot more heat.

GodStang

Established Member
Remember Centri/Turbo cobras have to be setup different than a PD blower. The compressing of the air in the blower is one of the causes of heat. So if you Meth before the intercooler under the blower you are just going to heat the air back up. 11 years having a Terminator I have only seen one or two people with true good results from meth on a PD blower. They installed ports in the bottom of the lower intake and sprayed it that way. The gains where very small but they where there. There is so many better ways to get gains then meth. E85 and a killer chiller like setup would be 100x better than meth if you have it.

olympic

Established Member
Definitely not running a ragged edge setup or tune right now. However, my pulley setup builds heat fast...2.7" upper with 4lb. Lower on a Stegmeier Stage 7 ported Eaton. I'm thinking the meth will be very beneficial on bringing down IAT's and improving recovery time between runs. I've got to get it retuned anyway so I figured why not do this first.

There was a post referencing installing the nozzle after the blower...I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but isn't this a little difficult to do with an Eaton or twin screw unless you spend some coin to modify the lower intake?

Mine is installed in the lower intake. Previous owner installed it but I've looked at it and it doesn't look difficult or expensive to do other than R+R the blower and intake. . There's 2 nozzles drilled into the bottom of the intake "valley" that spray directly up into the heat exchanger. On the outside of the intake there's fittings and hoses to join the nozzles together and route the supply line out the back of the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread