Those with RPM rollbars

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
Did you order 5 or 6 pt? What does the standard 5 pt look like from the driver's side? Any pics would be helpful. Are swingouts recommended on one side or the other, or both? I'm being told the driver's door is removeable but not necessarily a "swingout". While I would prefer something that would allow me to easily enter the car, I don't want to ruin the NHRA cert either.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
6pt. ChroMolly.

Both sides swing out.

5pt same as 6pt but without the pax side down bar.

Measure 5x, cut once.

PLEASE REACH ME VIA EMAIL AT [email protected] AS OPPOSED TO PM. THANKS.

Larsonator

Established Member
does the horizontal cross bar allow for the drivers seat to be moved all the way back such that it's almost touching the rear seat?

2011SVT

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Established Member
does the horizontal cross bar allow for the drivers seat to be moved all the way back such that it's almost touching the rear seat?

Mine does. We fabbed a small attachment to hook my Corbeau racing seat (when it's in) to the rollbar per NHRA rules.

Larsonator

Established Member
I see the cross bar curves towards the rear. Would it be feasible for a small child in a booster seat to still sit in the back seat? Foregoing any adults back there is one thing but my little guy would be devastated if he couldn't ride in it anymore.

Sorry for the hijack Greg.

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
Did you order 5 or 6 pt? What does the standard 5 pt look like from the driver's side? Any pics would be helpful. Are swingouts recommended on one side or the other, or both? I'm being told the driver's door is removeable but not necessarily a "swingout". While I would prefer something that would allow me to easily enter the car, I don't want to ruin the NHRA cert either.

Who is telling you that the bars are not "swing outs"? They are in fact swing outs that are designed to meet NHRA specs.

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
Who is telling you that the bars are not "swing outs"? They are in fact swing outs that are designed to meet NHRA specs.

got it figured out serickson1. the main hoop is "fixed" and the door bars are swingouts - but that really only means you can swing them out to remove them, they are either in or out. I was always under the impression you could easily swing them out and have it mounted semi-permanent. Sounds like it is a very easy process, but not something to be done each time you get in/out of the car. Doesn't really matter, either I'm going to be racing or not so the 5 mins or so to put a door bar in is no big deal. And yes, it is NHRA legal (and with the diag bar; NASA and SCCA).

Last edited:

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
I see the cross bar curves towards the rear. Would it be feasible for a small child in a booster seat to still sit in the back seat? Foregoing any adults back there is one thing but my little guy would be devastated if he couldn't ride in it anymore.

I had the same question at one point. My kids like to get ice cream now and again, either in the Shelby or the GTO. As I've found I don't think you will find anyone condoning or endorsing using it in that manner, as there are risks, namely head contact with the bar in an accident. It's a personal decision. My Dad use to let me ride in the bed of the truck back in the day...now people would shout you down before Johnny Law got ahold of you. It's all relative I guess. In many (most?) states it is against the law, which might influence your decision as well.

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
Mine does. We fabbed a small attachment to hook my Corbeau racing seat (when it's in) to the rollbar per NHRA rules.

Any pics of this? RPM has their own, but it's a pricey piece at $250 or so. The rule states that the seat has to be supported, or attached, from the back? Fabbing up something sounds a lot better than dropping a lot of coin. The bar was $1350 shipped...ouch. "I got mouthes to feed son!"

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
I am looking at these too. It seems that the pre-fab roll bars might save a little money but custom will give more room all around because they are not built to fit through the door. I am thinking it might we worth the extra $$. Any comments?

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member

Better use a lot of bar padding to help protect the kids.

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
got it figured out serickson1. the main hoop is "fixed" and the door bars are swingouts - but that really only means you can swing them out to remove them, they are either in or out. I was always under the impression you could easily swing them out and have it mounted semi-permanent. Sounds like it is a very easy process, but not something to be done each time you get in/out of the car. Doesn't really matter, either I'm going to be racing or not so the 5 mins or so to put a door bar in is no big deal. And yes, it is NHRA legal (and with the diag bar; NASA and SCCA).

I don't think you understand the RPM design......The door bars are swing outs....they are pinned at the main hoop and at the foot pad.....you simply open your door, remove the pin at the main hoop, the door bar swings out just like your door, get in the car, "shut" the door bar, pin it, then shut your door.....this is the procedure at the track....otherwise you can just leave them at home or RPM makes holders to hold the bar in your trunk while not in use. If this is what you meant by your above post then cool........otherwise hope this helps.
The seat back rest is designed for the factory seats to rest against.....NHRA rules state that a seat has to be BOLTED to the roll bar......they let the rule slide for a factory OEM seat but an after market seat will need to be bolted directly to the bar.

Last edited:

skidad62

Established Member
I have a chromoly 5 point (mine is a new edge vert not a GT500)

Awesome quality and fitment. Door bar is swing out and removable.

I would NOT put anyone in the backseat.

Bar in...
IMG_6253_zps679029d9.jpg

IMG_6252_zpsb4b77711.jpg

Bar out...
IMG_9245_zpsca49c2f7.jpg

IMG_6246_zps1bed5397.jpg

IMG_6245_zps9edcc713.jpg

skidad15_zpsd087c94c.jpg

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
I don't think you understand the RPM design......The door bars are swing outs....they are pinned at the main hoop and at the foot pad.....you simply open your door, remove the pin at the main hoop, the door bar swings out just like your door, get in the car, "shut" the door bar, pin it, then shut your door.....this is the procedure at the track....otherwise you can just leave them at home or RPM makes holders to hold the bar in your trunk while not in use. If this is what you meant by your above post then cool........otherwise hope this helps.
The seat back rest is designed for the factory seats to rest against.....NHRA rules state that a seat has to be BOLTED to the roll bar......they let the rule slide for a factory OEM seat but an after market seat will need to be bolted directly to the bar.

This is ALL good info, thanks! I probably did misunderstand. I actually understood to begin with and got turned around along the way somewhere. I have stock seats so should be good to go, don't want to go drilling holes in those.

Users who are viewing this thread