???? those with higher compression

NotOrange...

Established Member
I have searched and haven't gotten any posts with similar questions so....I didn't get an answer...
If I missed this somehow let me know

I've got a few questions for those who have bumped compression with shaving the heads a bit.
The drivers head gasket is leaking enough to warrant me repairing it so I am currently saving $$ to do a little bit of upgrading...
ie:
-headgaskets obviously
-camshafts and valve springs (probably comp cams stage 2 or 3's)
-adjustable cam gears (mainly to take up some of timing issues due to decked heads)
-long tubes and matching intermediate pipe
-those nice blue cam covers :)
-minor headwork (I am on a budget so probably no P&P)

Now, does anyone here know how much you can shave the heads down to achieve 11:1 compression (ish)?

They will be sent out to an engine machine shop to be pressure tested and cleaned up and everything so while they were there I thought it would be great to bump compression a little for a few $$ and a few ponies. I'd just like to know beforehand how much to ask them to take off so I dont run into issues.

I also know that a supercharger would be cheaper and less work so I don't want to hear that :poke: , but with the work that needs to be done, this is the route I am going.

Thanks in advance. :beer:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
.060" will get you very close to 11:1 but will require other mods to get the intake manifold to line up correctly. Also, taking off .060" will cause the cams to be retarded from their optimum LC, especially if you go with 230 deg or longer dur.

I recommend you cut the heads .030", install 38mm intake valves and get some 226/222deg cams. Install the intake cams at an LC of 108 and the exhaust at 112. This will put you in the area of 370rwhp range with good mid-range and upper rpm power.

Use the Cloyes multiple keyway cam gears as they are much cheaper than the adjustable gears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread