Those with Daily Drivers other than your Cobra/L, how do you insure?

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
I'm about to get a DD (daily driver) and turn the Mustang into a pleasure vehicle. I made the mistake of mentioning the T word (track) to the insurance agent, and now I'm flagged for underwriting, and expecting a cancellation letter within a few weeks.

My question to you guys, is how are you insured? I know if I race at the track I'm not covered regardless, but I haven't been to the track in over a year. I just want to drive the car on weekends to car shows. But apparently even car shows (and parades...WTF?) aren't acceptable for a personal vehicle policy. The car is not heavily modified, I would eat the cost of the mods if something happened to the car. All I'm looking for is an insurance company that will insure the car for the value of a stock 97 Cobra that will let me drive it to car shows. :(

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Uhm...my agent knows I race...he knows I only drive the car on the weekends, and he knows my mods. Not paying out the ass, but I'm covered as long as incident doesn't happen while involved in an event and also covers mods for which I have reciepts. I have a book of reciepts on this car so far.

Basically...go find a fast car/ mod friendly agent and go from there.

...he did tell me that he couldn't write a new customer a policy on this car, only existing customers...

notfastenuf

vertias y aequitas
Established Member
I told them that I wanted to use my Cobra as a Weekend vehicle, and that I didnt want to sell it because it had sentimental value...

Same here - pleasure vehicle. Same coverage as my other vehicles - just no work miles basically.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Cobra is listed as a pleasure/occasional vehicle while the explorer is my primary. You can actually play with the amount of miles you drive the pleasure vehicle to save some money...

Durrman

Established Member
Does this very from State to State? It is very difference up here from Province to Province. In Ontario, most insurance companies will not insure a modified vehicle at all.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Generally insurance rates and coverages vary from state to state.

I talked specifically to my insurance companies about my track time. I know of others that do the same thing. Our cars are covered at the track as long as it is a driving school like car guys, or SVTOA event where you are not actually racing other drivers.

All of my cars are currently listed as pleasure only since I have been out here in the sandbox for 5 years and only drive them a couple weeks a year when I go home on vacation.

Common

Established Member
It's like credit, everyone has an idea on how it's calculated but nobody knows for sure.

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
It's like credit, everyone has an idea on how it's calculated but nobody knows for sure.

That's what I seem to be hearing from everyone. It's a shame when honesty bites you in the ass like this.:nonono:

Eds01Lightning

Established Member
I have insurance on the L with Grundy Worldwide. Just renewed for the second year @ 471.00/yr for 31.5K stated value w/zero deductible coll/comp and 100k liability. No mileage/showing limitation...just can't be a DD. Of course, NOracing coverage!:-D

They're hard to beat if you can get on with them. However, they are pretty particular and you have to have a good driving record and a high credit score to qualify.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
get a differnet insurance now before they drop you or try and hike the price, get an angent who is friendly and will work with you, tell him you want to insure more than just your car, like your home or anything else, they will want to work with you, they want business just liek anyone else, don't let them bully you, and dont tell them you race there is no need for it

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
I'm in talks with an agent who is on our local car enthusiast board. This thread was made to find specialty companies like Grundy Worldwide.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I bought a 2004 WRX for my DD, and my cobra is now listed as a pleasure vehicle and the rate is $72 per month for full coverage and a $500 deductible. I am 30 Years old.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread