Those who run a Tri-ax shifter

SVT 03 Cobra

anyone had a problem with there being too much leather around the shift handle with this shifter, due to the handle being much shorter? I find it bunches up around the front of the shifter causing binding... anyone else?

jrh99

Established Member
I had the tri-ax on my 99. I never had any problems like your stating. I threw the tri-ax handle on the 03 and haven't had any problems yet... but I haven't had much of a chance to drive with all this bad weather in the NE.
Is the leather boot twisted? Did the 03 tri-ax come with that large washer to protect from shifter from rubbing?

SVT 03 Cobra

no the boot is not twisted, but the overall height of the whole thing is approx 3" shorter... leaving all that leather pushed down..

Cobra'03

Established Member
u should be able to come up with an easy fix yourself - to raise the height, find some washers at a hardware store that will be wide enough to clear the handle, and seat on it - then, the boot will be raised enough to avoid the bunching.

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
is there a whole lot of chatter with it in the 03 Cobra? I have one on my 98 GT and it's a little chattery at times. Thanks

GOGO-03

Established Member
At the dealership, while waiting to have my wheels be aligned, I checked out the new Roush mustangs. Well I jumped in behind the wheel of this new 2003 Roush Vert and nothing special about it saved for the brass nameplate and seats. But I started shifting through the gears of the car's short shifter and Bam!! It hit me. This shifter is nice, I have been really missing out on something here. Compared to my stock Cobra's shifter is night and day difference. But anyway I believe the Tri-ax shifter is a close match to the one in that Roush Mustang. As a matter of fact I have the Tri-ax shifter on order with my SVTOA discount, I'm sold. :beer:

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
I love my Tri-Ax and never had ANY problems with it. If you are concerned about the leather boot bunching up, you could buy another shift handle; I recommend the MGW. You can adjust the length and angle of it; and, yes, it fits the Tri-Ax base. I tried it for a while; but I was too accustomed to my Tri-Ax handle to keep the MGW.

SVT 03 Cobra

Originally posted by §ilver§nake
I love my Tri-Ax and never had ANY problems with it. If you are concerned about the leather boot bunching up, you could buy another shift handle; I recommend the MGW. You can adjust the length and angle of it; and, yes, it fits the Tri-Ax base. I tried it for a while; but I was too accustomed to my Tri-Ax handle to keep the MGW.

I've already ordered the MGW, just waiting on its arrival:p

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
Well you guys almost have me sold on the tri ax question for you all I had back surgery and have and will always have continued back pain due to the botched surgery. Question is will the installed tri ax cause me to have to really stretch and reach for the handle of is it pretty accessible from sitting back in the seat.

03blackCOBRA

Civil PE
Established Member
The stock 03 Cobra shifter seems way to far forward for me, unlike my 97 GT. Adding the Tri Ax didn't really move it up or down IMHO. I would like my 03 Cobra to be in similar position as my 97 GT. It could be the seats, I have to move them all the way back and lean them back to get head room in the 03 unlike my 97 GT. I'm praying my fat ass will crush the seats for some head room so I can move the seat a little more upright and forward.:p

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Originally posted by GOGO-03
At the dealership, while waiting to have my wheels be aligned, I checked out the new Roush mustangs. Well I jumped in behind the wheel of this new 2003 Roush Vert and nothing special about it saved for the brass nameplate and seats. But I started shifting through the gears of the car's short shifter and Bam!! It hit me. This shifter is nice, I have been really missing out on something here. Compared to my stock Cobra's shifter is night and day difference. But anyway I believe the Tri-ax shifter is a close match to the one in that Roush Mustang. As a matter of fact I have the Tri-ax shifter on order with my SVTOA discount, I'm sold. :beer:

The Roush shifter is a tri-ax :) (I used to have one)

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by jumpincactus
...Question is will the installed tri ax cause me to have to really stretch and reach for the handle of is it pretty accessible from sitting back in the seat.

The Tri-Ax will not help you here; in fact, it may be worse. The Tri-Ax is considerably shorter than the stock shifter; however, it is "pitched" about the same. Before, I installed the MGW knob, I had to lean slightly to the right in order to get enough arm travel for a solid 2-3 shift. As I implied, the MGW knob has helped this issue.

With this said, I would recommend looking at the MGW adjustable handle. It is slightly longer than the Tri-Ax and is adjustable; therefore, you can experiment with the length and pitch of the handle to suit your needs.

I hope this helps; good luck with your back.

Judson_99Cobra

Established Member
I have the TriAx shifter and experienced the same thing about having to lean forward just a little to go into third gear. I replaced the TriAx shifter handle with the MGW adjustable one and this made all the difference in the world. I adjusted the top portion of the handle toward me and it's very comfortable shifting now.

You won't regret getting the MGW adjustable handle.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
GoGo-03 mentioned the SVTOA discount. I only bought my Cobra last week. How do I get the discount? Is it some special card/number SVT sends you? Who honors the discount?

I ask these questions because I'm going to be ordering the Tri-Ax/MGW very soon. I'm obviously looking for the best price. :)

4Fs

Established Member
I love my Tri-Ax, it was a big improvement over stock. Eliminates those embarrassing missed shifts. The boot accordions after a few days and is fine. I like the stock knob but can't get it to stay tight. It's fine until I slam 3rd or 4th hard. Then it twists on me. If I twist the knob on any harder I fear it may come apart. I tried a lock nut but it looks like hell. Anyboby got a good trick?

SVT 03 Cobra

Hey Bob..... you will love the Tri-ax/MGW combo.... only other thing you may want to do is after about 1000 miles... change the tranny fluid.... Redline D4 talk about smoth the shifts out!

Jayson

Users who are viewing this thread