Those that have moved on, how do you know it's that time?

crazycarlo

Established Member
I haven't posted in a while. Some may know I have a 98 with an eaton swap. I've have a few problems with it but it was running. It blew a head gasket in April and I parked it and it has sat there ever since.

After that I literally lost all my love for cars it's like it sucked all my motivation out. In fact i started buying parts to build an AR as a suitable hobby. Slowly but surely my love for cars is returing. I've pondered getting rid of my car and I've changed my mind but just when I think I'm gonna keep someone always contacts me about selling it and we go through the time consuming task of the picture and mod list exchange and eventually so far it's always fizzled out.

My question is when is enough enough for those that have made the decision to sell or part their cars out. I'm thinking very hard of just starting to tear the motor apart and selling it piece by piece.

96Mystic1189

Established Member
I stop the idea everytime I think about it when I think about all the time and effort I have in restoring my car. If I were to get rid of it, in a few years I would want it right back and would be sinking double the money into it trying to get farther than I was the last time. Think about how much time and effort would go back into recreating another eaton swap car. Also think about how much fun it is once its running. Lets face it, sn95 cars are almost all trashed so to do it all over again would be expensive.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
There's a lot to be said for having a car that you can enjoy without always having to tinker with it...

Noreast

Established Member
Granted my car wasnt an eaton swap car but it did have a built motor me and her went through alottttt. Had it for 5 years, first car i got when i was 16. Sold it and bought an 04 cobra. While i love this car i will always miss and want to buy back my sn. If i had the money to keep her i would. i let it go to get my "dream car". Yes i miss it but its nice having a 12k mile car thats mostly stock and i dont have to tinker with little stuff anymore.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Well I have a DD I use. The cobra is strictly a toy. I love tinkering the problem is that with the 4V it's a big job or $$$ to tinker lol. Like right now I have to take the motor out to change the head gasket. Yes I loved driving the car but I'd be just as in love with driving an old fox that just looks good and sounds good haha. We will see.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
Although I did not see it coming because I just brought the car back to a nice street driver where I would not have to put one penny into it for several years….

For me it was when the summer was over and I noticed I only had 1300 mile on it for the entire Spring - Summer I was like really! At the same time I thought how nice would it be to have my wife's car in the garage for winter. So I sold her car and my cobra and bought another car for her. She is happy and so am I.

You will also know when it just does not excite you like it use to! For me it was all about racing. I thought I could be a normal person and make it a street driver but I quickly realized it was not so exciting. Then there would be days I wanted to take it to work but would think twice about and end up not taking it to work because it is just not that kind of car. I really thought I could turn it into a driver but just could not do it. If I had a 3-4 car garage I might have kept it.

all and all I glad it's gone!

crazycarlo

Established Member
Well I've had the car since 07. But the last 4ish years it has had alot of down time. It's on the 4th motor, 3rd clutch and it seems like it's just always something. I don't mind working on cars. I'm actually looking at another muscle car if I can find a decent body I want.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
for me- mine is my baby but any little thing can easily knock it off it's pedistal when I take it out- when it's sitting still it's perfect you know? but the money I have in it is standing in the way of other stuff I'm building and want to build. I am still trying to figure out a way to keep mine- as I saw a PG 97' the other night (which I never see since there's so few of them).

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Only thing I'd consider letting mine go for is another one with an 03/04 PD blower style swap... hmmm.........................

Last edited:

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
As much as I want a newer car with no problems, and turn key. I think its cheaper to keep her. I know as soon as I sell mine and get another, Ill start screwing with it. And later back into debt and still not happy.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
If you just want a fox that bad, then sell it and buy a fox. I have only had sn95 cars and I like them. Seems like a lot of guys I talk to that drive foxes seem to really like sn95s also, then I explain to them that a nice condition one can be had for less than a fox... I like a lot of the cars from 05+ but it think it's pretty boring having the same thing that everyone else has, I see tons of newer ones everywhere it seems.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
As much as I want a newer car with no problems, and turn key. I think its cheaper to keep her. I know as soon as I sell mine and get another, Ill start screwing with it. And later back into debt and still not happy.
I'm in the same boat, and cannot make up my mind. Not sure if its cheaper for me to keep my SN because its white and the paint is starting to flake off in some inconspicuous places, so I'd have to repaint it. Whereas I could just sell it now and have a small loan on an 05-09GT. Newer, and more comfortable but possibly slower.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Well I'm not set on a fox. Truth be told I am looking for a 70-74 firebird but as you can imagine they are pretty scarcer ESP in south GA. I've had a fox before. And while I considered the Cobra a major upgrade twy both have pros and cons.

I will say this I will in no way sell my cobra and get a newer car. As much as I wish I could get an 03 it's just not on the cards. Besides like I mentioned I have a reliable DD. I'm mainly looking for something that is easier maybe less $$ to work on with plentiful parts. I will deff keep you guys updated onto decision. It rainy here now and I'm sick so I can't get outside to do anything anyways.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
It's an easy decision for me. Once I am done getting my Sunbeam Tiger back on the road, I will be buying a 67 or 68 Mustang for a mod swap. That's the only way I can build exactly what I want without CARB interference. Once the mod swap is done, my Cobra will have to go. But I find I enjoy the building process the most. Once it's done, I am thinking, "What's next?"

Balt21

Established Member
It's an easy decision for me. Once I am done getting my Sunbeam Tiger back on the road, I will be buying a 67 or 68 Mustang for a mod swap. That's the only way I can build exactly what I want without CARB interference. Once the mod swap is done, my Cobra will have to go. But I find I enjoy the building process the most. Once it's done, I am thinking, "What's next?"
A lot of people are like that. It's more about "the journey" than anything else.

Prototype007

Established Member
I got this way with my first 1997 Cobra. Car was just a burden and found nothing enjoyable about it. Traded it off to a 1995 Corvette, skipping a bunch of the story, and ended up with a second 1997 Cobra that's been a dream.

I consider myself very fortunate.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Yeah I still enjoyed driving my car. I dunno I guess after the car being Dow for so long and then running only a brief time before it was down again I lost all my motivation. I've been thinking more and more about parting it out lately.

That's if people even want eaton swap stuff anymore lol.

Users who are viewing this thread