Those of you that painted their exhaust???

DREAMCOMETRUE

Established Member
I am planning on having my exhaust painted in Black this winter. I would like to know if I am better off having them powder coated or can I use Hight heat paint?

Thanks for your help

Fat-cat

Established Member
High heat pait i think will be the way to go. Im not sure how well Powder coat would hold up under the car and to the heat. Personally i think paint is the way to go.

SVT GI

Established Member
High temp paint here...1 year, so far so good.

1011091512.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Surface prep is key to a long lasting paint job. I think SVT GI's exhaust looks great.

Jefe

Established Member
SVT GI any clear put on it? Does it come off if you use a chemical cleaner? Any pics from behind, looks awesome!

SVT GI

Established Member
SVT GI any clear put on it? Does it come off if you use a chemical cleaner? Any pics from behind, looks awesome!

No clear, but about 4 coats of black. Bob hit it on the head. Take your time on the prep. I sanded everything with 400 to knock off the big stuff, follwed up with 600. It will leave some scratches but they are very fine, the 4 coats I put on filled them in.

I haven't used any brake cleaner around the exhaust to test whether or not the paint will come off. I do clean the uinderside about twice a year and spray simple green and it hasn't affected the exhaust.

I'll have to see if I can dig up some older pics that have a close up from behind. I'm about to change out the catback for another brand and will paint those black as well.

Spoolx

Established Member
I have been considering powdercoating mine as well, not too confident in paint because the pipes are pretty rusty and nasty so its gonna be tough to prep it properly without sandblasting. If I am gonna pay to sandblast I might as well pay to powdercoat at the same time.

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
I have been considering powdercoating mine as well, not too confident in paint because the pipes are pretty rusty and nasty so its gonna be tough to prep it properly without sandblasting. If I am gonna pay to sandblast I might as well pay to powdercoat at the same time.

powdercoater should be able to do ceramic coating also, and that will definately work with the heat.

but powdercoating will hold up great too. Lot's of frames for hot rods getting powdercoated now.

Jefe

Established Member
I think Id miss my Chrome tips too much. But a nice shiny black would look good too.

Users who are viewing this thread