Those of you on septic, question

Stanger00

Established Member
What is the consensus on having garbage disposal for small food waste going into septic tank?

Wrapping up kitchen remodel on a second home and I don't want one but wife is insistent on putting one in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
we're on septic with a garbage disposal and just try not to put a whole lot down it. Its nice to have sometimes.

jaxbusa

Established Member
I was under the impression that no food should end up in the septic. I even use screens on my sink drains.

IMG_0923.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
When we were building our new house I asked about a garbage disposal, they told me I would need to double the size of the septic system, I said I didn't need a garbage disposal that bad!

Stanger00

Established Member
I read the food and grease disrupts the eco system in the septic system and will need to be serviced more often. Not trying to have more than 1 septic service a year. 3 people will be living in the home.

I like the idea of buying a sink that has a large food waste trap instead of additional septic services...

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
What is the consensus on having garbage disposal for small food waste going into septic tank?

Wrapping up kitchen remodel on a second home and I don't want one but wife is insistent on putting one in.

It’s not a problem. Most people have them near where I live.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
It has to do with the grease. Grease and salt will clog a septic system, because it will not break down. That effluent is then pumped in your field and will seal and clog the systems designed function.

sleek98

Established Member
I put one in our lake house this year. We had it pumped out 3 years ago. I will have it pumped out every other year going forward to make sure. We are there 2 weekends a month so we dont use it a ton.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
It has to do with the grease. Grease and salt will clog a septic system, because it will not break down. That effluent is then pumped in your field and will seal and clog the systems designed function.

This. You may not have problems now but you're increasing the odds down the road.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Go with a bigger septic system and avoid putting grease products down the deposal and you should be good. The most important thing is pumping it regularly, depending on the system size. I would size it for 3-5 years of collecting waste. And then pump it out every 2-3 years. Our last house had a septic system, and we simply tried to avoid adding grease/oil through the garbage disposal. And we pumped it regularly. We also used RidX, but most additives are not recommended from what I've read.

Equalbracket

Established Member
You don't need a bigger septic tank to have a garbage disposal, just use common sense and you'll never have an issue. I know you said your wife wants one so that's that.

Stanger00

Established Member
You don't need a bigger septic tank to have a garbage disposal, just use common sense and you'll never have an issue. I know you said your wife wants one so that's that.

Right, choose your battles. Don't want to sleep on the couch but also don't like wasting money. If this doesn't work it's my fault if it works out she told me so....

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Here in Va. a conventional system ( effluent goes to one distribution box to several corrugated perforated pipes that leach into the ground) it also evaporates. These systems 12 years ago cost $3200 for a 3 bedroom. Now few soils conform to new standards. Systems now cost 25,000 and up. For that kind of system, to accommodate standards. learn to scrape your plate into the trash. Also, new S fields can't be installed over old ones. A bad system really is not worth the hassle. Properties can be condemned and banks will refuse finance if S field shows sign of failure.

Users who are viewing this thread