Thomas Donnelly: The Military Epidemics That Aren't

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
There is a growing presumption in the West that war dehumanizes those who experience combat, or, in more extreme expressions, even those who only serve in the military. In this country, for example, journalist Robert Koehler writes of war itself as a "disease," one that produces a nearly infinite variety of violent "symptoms."

The wars of the post-9/11 era, particularly in Iraq and Afghanistan, might seem to reinforce the point—the Abu Ghraib scandal, for instance, or atrocities committed by U.S. soldiers like Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, who murdered 16 Afghan civilians in March 2012. Then there are the supposedly high rates of suicide, post-traumatic stress and sexual aggression, all of which tempt one to regard the military itself as a dehumanizing institution in need of therapeutic intervention.

Soldiers, in this view, are no longer seen as models of self-control, courage and patriotism. Instead they are victims and should be treated as patients. Yet the links between combat, the military and mental health are more complex than the war-as-disease construct allows.

Begin with suicides by servicemen and women, which have increased in recent years—but by dozens of deaths, not in the epidemic fashion that news coverage sometimes seems to suggest. That said, the 349 military suicides in 2012 did exceed the 295 deaths of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan. The question is: why?

A major study published this month in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that factors such as substance abuse, depression, financial and relationship problems accounted for the rise in soldier suicides—in other words, the same factors that influence civilians to take their own lives. "The findings from this study," the authors concluded, "are not consistent with the assumption that specific deployment-related characteristics, such as length of deployment, number of deployments, or combat experiences, are directly associated with increased suicide risk."

Nor does the rate of military suicides differ significantly from suicides in the general population. Using data from 2009, another study by the U.S. Army and the National Institute of Mental Health calculated the military suicide rate at 18.5 per 100,000, just below the civilian rate of 18.8 per 100,000.

The science of military post-traumatic stress is also less settled than conventional wisdom has it. There is no doubt about the mental suffering that too many combat veterans endure. But there is confusion about the extent of the anguish or how to treat it. Yet, with hundreds of millions if not billions of health-care dollars per year at stake, the rush toward more treatments, therapies and medications for veterans is accelerating. Something like a "PTSD industry"—and an accompanying and powerful political lobby—has sprung up over the last decade. Our feelings of appreciation for military service, perhaps mixed with more than a little guilt, may be overruling better judgment.

Combat stress is a complex phenomenon. But research has confirmed what military commanders have long known: It is possible to identify those who are most prone to stress problems, and that has more to do with nonmilitary issues—again, substance abuse, money and family problems are the culprits—than with the experience of combat or deployment to a war zone.

Compared with other countries, the United States diagnoses PTSD cases at improbably high rates. Recent PTSD rates in the U.S. have reached as high as 30%, according to the Congressional Budget Office. By contrast, only 2% of Danish soldiers deployed to Afghanistan (and, per capita, the Danes have done as much fighting as anyone) are diagnosed with significant PTSD symptoms, according to a study published in December in Psychological Science. One consequence of high rates of PTSD diagnosis is that the treatment is too often conducted outside a military environment. Soldiers are deprived of what traditionally has been the best medicine: talking to other soldiers.

The recent debate about sexual assault in the military also reflects the notion that there is something fundamentally diseased about the institution itself. The New York Times has editorialized on "the military's entrenched culture of sexual violence." Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D., N.Y.) demands that the country replace the military chain of command with civilian legal processes in cases of sexual harassment and assault because the military is inadequate to deal with crimes of "dominance and violence and power." Ms. Gillibrand has been joined in her legislative effort by two leading libertarian Senate Republicans, Rand Paul and Ted Cruz.

Yet the numbers bandied about to show an epidemic of sexual violence in the U.S. military are questionable. In May, Capt. Lindsay Rodman, a judge advocate stationed at U.S. Marine Headquarters in Arlington, Va., reported on this page, for example, that the number of military sexual assaults frequently cited in Congress and elsewhere are based on a badly distorted interpretation of a Defense Department survey. In recent months the American public has often heard that 26,000 service members were sexually assaulted last year. But that statistic comes from an unscientific poll and refers to "unwanted sexual contact," including touching the buttocks or even attempted touching.

Moreover, as Gail Heriot, a law professor at the University of San Diego and a member of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission, wrote recently in the Weekly Standard, "there is no evidence that the military has a higher rate of sexual assault than, say, colleges and universities. Indeed, what paltry evidence there is suggests the opposite."

There is no doubt that "war is hell"—Gen. William Sherman lived through that hell in the Civil War. The 19th-century military theorist Karl von Clausewitz—who argued in a more antiseptic fashion that war was a "continuation of political intercourse by other means"—also understood that the veil between this political understanding of human conflict and the underlying, primal instinct for violence was thin indeed.

But war demands unflinching discipline, courage and loyalty in the presence of our deepest animal passions, and in that sense it is anything but dehumanizing. By regarding soldiers, sometimes condescendingly, as victims and patients, we are in danger of foisting our own, very civilian and very modern, therapeutic pathologies on people who don't need them and whose ability to do their jobs—that is, keep us safe—is likely to be diminished.

Mr. Donnelly is a resident fellow and co-director of the Marilyn Ware Center for Security Studies at the American Enterprise Institute.

Donnelly: The Military Epidemics That Aren't - WSJ.com

Opinions?

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I actually mostly agree. I think a lot of veterans are coddled by well-intention people and never learn how to suck it up.

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member
It's a good article IMO and addresses a subject that needs to be addressed.

One of my Marines was delayed separation by months because he said on his VA exit questionnaire that he had nightmares relating to his service. He had to be cleared by a shrink and was extended a minimum two months (I think, I can't remember exactly, but it was measured in multiple months). They had nothing to do with service related combat, and we didn't see shit for combat being I-level Air Wing POGs anyway. It was ridiculous, no context was taken into account. I wonder how many people that has happened to. He wasn't trying to milk the system, but I did hear reputable reports of guys who would learn what PTSD symptoms were red flags in the system and would answer accordingly in hopes of milking the system. Really freaking sad when I have seen REAL PTSD in action, and those with the issues (along with others with other service-related medical issues) are having a harder time using the system because of the burden put on it by the over-diagnosis of this.

As far as unwanted sexual advances, there was nowhere I've been in my life that was more homoerotic than the Marines. Pats on the butt and homoerotic jokes were the norm. We even had one dude in our shop who cut the end of his finger off in shop class when he was a kid, he used to "nub" people, a modified version of goosing. Use your imagination. I'd imagine everyone in our shop would probably categorize that as an unwanted sexual contact even though no one was damaged by it because he only did it to people he knew were comfortable with it. It was funny to me anyway as long as he wasn't walking around doing it to people who were truly offended by such a thing.

Anyway, that was a bit long-winded, but I'm glad it's being addressed. Whether or not it will be rectified, I don't know. Like the dude from Katy said, I feel a lot of PTSD epidemic is born from what I think are good intentions by those in positions to care or help. I also agree with the article that there are probably hands helping the epidemic along just a little too much.

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
not even gonna read it. people need to put on their bog boy pants and man the **** up if they are in the military. if they are not stable they need to either not get in the military or find a way out. sorry its just how i feel. I am a SSG and I HATE these new privates and even higher ranking that act like the army (in my case) should be softer on soldiers and that it should be treated like a normal job. We are in the military so there is no room for the normal bullshit, if you cant hack it **** retraining its a waste of my time. i have never failed at anything in the army and I have done damn well considering I take every training event serious and store that knowledge for later. as for mental stuff most are just hyping up shit so they can get money when they get out or to just get attention. i see people getting med boarded that are just pieces of shit that just want a hand me out. use deployments and bullshit to say they are effected mentally but sit and play war games on xbox or w/e people play now. **** the more i think about this stuff the more i get pissed so i will just end this now. I shot a dude in iraq and i am perfectly fine, why? i knew what i was getting myself into when i got in the army and i faced the fact that i might do bad stuff. ITS MY JOB!!

203Cree

Established Member
not even gonna read it. people need to put on their bog boy pants and man the **** up if they are in the military. if they are not stable they need to either not get in the military or find a way out. sorry its just how i feel. I am a SSG and I HATE these new privates and even higher ranking that act like the army (in my case) should be softer on soldiers and that it should be treated like a normal job. We are in the military so there is no room for the normal bullshit, if you cant hack it **** retraining its a waste of my time. i have never failed at anything in the army and I have done damn well considering I take every training event serious and store that knowledge for later. as for mental stuff most are just hyping up shit so they can get money when they get out or to just get attention. i see people getting med boarded that are just pieces of shit that just want a hand me out. use deployments and bullshit to say they are effected mentally but sit and play war games on xbox or w/e people play now. **** the more i think about this stuff the more i get pissed so i will just end this now. I shot a dude in iraq and i am perfectly fine, why? i knew what i was getting myself into when i got in the army and i faced the fact that i might do bad stuff. ITS MY JOB!!

He who crow's the loudest.....

All I'm going to say is I hope you don't have any guys that work for you that have legit issues, because you'll never see it and that's a disservice to them.

As for the rest, I agree with most of it. People shouldn't be flagged or held immediately on redeployment as most times that's not enough time for issues to actually manifest. I've had two high risk soldier's since our redeployment in 2012, both related to re adjustment issues. We're combat support, lost 4 aircraft and 1 entire crew along with 32 packs in the back. Rough year for us. I mean, we're not door kickers, but that's not an easy pill to swallow for anyone. Say what you want, but those stresses affect everyone a little different, and you never know how it's going to go when you get home. Just sayin.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
He who crow's the loudest.....

All I'm going to say is I hope you don't have any guys that work for you that have legit issues, because you'll never see it and that's a disservice to them.

As for the rest, I agree with most of it. People shouldn't be flagged or held immediately on redeployment as most times that's not enough time for issues to actually manifest. I've had two high risk soldier's since our redeployment in 2012, both related to re adjustment issues. We're combat support, lost 4 aircraft and 1 entire crew along with 32 packs in the back. Rough year for us. I mean, we're not door kickers, but that's not an easy pill to swallow for anyone. Say what you want, but those stresses affect everyone a little different, and you never know how it's going to go when you get home. Just sayin.

i have 1 guy out of the 3 med boards that legitimately needs to get a med board and i completely understand why. the others are iffy as iv seen then break their profiles and completely blow their "issues" out of proportion. if you report it you get looked down on as not caring or as an asshole or lier. if you have a real issue why not get the military to fix it? whats getting a med board gonna do for you? give you 30% of your base pay to live on? how are you supposed to work? if you couldnt work in the military what makes you think you can get a job in the civilian world and actually survive with out being fired? if you say "i cant pick that up its too heavy for me by back hurts" they will just let you go and say "sorry but the job requires you to be able to do this". med boards are blown out of proportion now and iv seen time and time again good dudes get screwed by the system b/c there are so many med board packets out there some of them get overlooked so the shit heat gets 90% and the dude that actually needs it gets 20%. anyways i do understand people do have real issues but damn can we at least grow up some and use our thick skin and wear big boy panties? i dont want to serve with those who wanna question/cry about everything or act like everything is worse than it is.

Users who are viewing this thread