This weeks edition of what would you do: Employment edition

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
40% more in same 8 hr day.

If I tell my current employer I already know they'll throw me out and get pissed (I don't blame them).

If they get pissed then they sound shitty anyways. I'd move on, take the better pay. I'm glad that in my field you get a "congrats and have fun" when new opportunities arise with other companies.

2001sleeper

Established Member
Does the extra $500 a month include taxes, driving distance, and other stuff like that?

Also, 40% of extra work sounds like your work/life balance will change.

Defknotzero

Established Member
Does the extra $500 a month include taxes, driving distance, and other stuff like that?

Also, 40% of extra work sounds like your work/life balance will change.

Yes it does.

Well my previous job I was doing about 140% more than the job I am considering.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
i just bailed on a company after 3 months of service...i felt like a total dick about it. However, when i told my boss at the time the deal she told me "if you dont take that offer i will punch you in the face, and that i could come back and work for her any at time"

Job hopping can be a slippery slope down the road but sometimes if the deal is right your current employer will understand. I wasn't even lookin for a job when my new gig turned up...got a phone call and the rest is history

2001sleeper

Established Member
How do you come up with these workload percentages?
Doesn't quite make sense to me and your new employer should be aware of your math skills. Hahahaha

Defknotzero

Established Member
How do you come up with these workload percentages?
Doesn't quite make sense to me and your new employer should be aware of your math skills. Hahahaha

Not sure what's funny. I was going by file count. (I work in brokerage in the logistics field). So I took the average about of entries processed and went from there.

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
Do what makes you happier. Extra $10k won't make you happy if work has more pressure or stress.

I personally would not switch if there were 40% more work for the same job.

Now if it was commission based that's another story...

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
If the 40% work is within the same 8 hours, I really dont see why people are complaining. I love being busy all day, time just flies by. Now if you have to finish XX work before going home, thats totally different story.

coposrv

Established Member
I don't understand the mentality of some of these managers. If I have a guy who just started working for me, then came to me and explained the situation that he received an offer for more money how could I be pissed at him? Not only does it mean he's good at what he does and is in demand but he's a decent person and a professional for bring it up. Why hold him back? And... if he stays great for me! Maybe I don't understand but my guys are the reason I can do what I do. I count the dimes, they make them.

coposrv

Established Member
Sorry to hi-jack OP. I'm probably the outlier here but, if I were you I would approach management and explain it. Just my nature. Their reaction may be the determining factor. Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread