This weeks edition of what would you do: Employment edition

Defknotzero

Established Member
Ok, so just recently (3 weeks ago) I left my employer (corporate, huge company) for a smaller (15 people in the office) company because their benefits were way better, not as busy, etc. Plus they wanted to pay me 10K more. I've been there for 3 weeks now and so far so good. I just got contacted earlier in the week for a different position (managerial) in the same field but different company. Potential company is a smidge bigger but not that much. They are offering me the same as my current 3 week company but they want to pay me 10k more.

would you take it? Mind you IF I do take said job, I am going to be a real asshole for bailing on current job. I'm not the type that usually likes to burn bridges (especially in same industry because people talk).

Current:

10k more than previous job I had. 3 weeks vacation after one year, 6% on 401K match, employer pays for medical/dental, etc. Small company with only 3 branches in the US (most are in Europe). Work is not too busy so it's do a little here and there and collect.

Potential:

10K more on top of what I am currently making, 3 weeks vacation when I start, 5% match on 401K, employer picks up 90% of benefits. Smidge bigger company with various locations around US. Work would be busier but not by an extravagant amount.

:shrug:

Famine

Established Member
I'm getting laid off in couple months and will have to entertain new options. So in light of your post, I have always believed America is known as an X theory type of work place. With that understood from management, I would tend to follow the principle "show me the money". What I mean is that I am always on the hunt for something better. Y theory mentality is more of a Japanese type of employment, where people work at one place their entire lives. I would go where the money and benefits are. Tread lightly and respectfully but follow what fills your pocketbook.

https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_74.htm

Myusername

Established Member
The benefits at my job are expensive, if the 10% different in benefit cost plus 1% difference in 401k is 10k then I would stay where your at, if you are still in the good after those costs then I would take the larger company. Does one offer more chance of advancement vs the other? That would be a deciding factor for me.

nxhappy

Established Member
up the offer with the 2nd company for $15k ....I bet they will do it ...

norcalcobra

Established Member
See if the newest offer can up the 10k more to make the decision easier. If you take the offer let current company it was a business decision and it was difficult to make. You can put that additional 10k into your 401K if its not already maxed out.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Do NOT ask your existing employer to match an offer or give you a raise when you just started. Either ask the new suitor to up their game a bit with the financial offer to make it an offer you can't refuse or resolve to stay put. If you leverage your current gig they will look to get rid of you soon without letting you know.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Take it. Sounds like ur working in someone's basement now. This new company sounds like it has potential.

big dad

Established Member
Do NOT ask your existing employer to match an offer or give you a raise when you just started. Either ask the new suitor to up their game a bit with the financial offer to make it an offer you can't refuse or resolve to stay put. If you leverage your current gig they will look to get rid of you soon without letting you know.

That is very sound advice, so sound that I have seen this happen to someone.

Machdup1

Established Member
I throw job hoppers resumes in the trash unless it is a temporary position where I can cut ties when the contract ends. So if you do it leave the current job off your permanent resume.

Defknotzero

Established Member
Update...

So I crunched the numbers and it came out to an extra 530/month with new salary.

New company will be having me do 40% more work then current company.

Current company just announced they want to pay for us to take a company trip to Switzerland (hq) on their dime.

Defknotzero

Established Member
I throw job hoppers resumes in the trash unless it is a temporary position where I can cut ties when the contract ends. So if you do it leave the current job off your permanent resume.

I don't blame you. I'd do the same. But I am not the type to job hop until this came up.

Branhammer

Established Member
$530 a month more is a nice raise for sure. You said it's the same field. Is it the exact same job? Do you think you would like that work? That's something to consider before to take on an addition 40% of work load all in the name of making more money. There's a lot to be said for not hating what you do every day.

greenscobie86

Established Member
A lot of good advice here. Job hopping is a good idea but you run the risk of being passed over if you keep hopping around. I believe I have heard someone somewhere say that a typical time of employment should be 1 year if you are job hopping and building a career.

$530/month extra sounds like a great deal, but as you say 40% more work for that money will balance it out with extra hours/responsibility/etc. Also I am of the mindset that its best to build a relationship with an employer and quitting right after starting a position or bartering for more money right away is not the best way to go about building said relationship.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I did this one time. The job I had only been at for about a month was straight up nasty about it. I went into the second in commands office (small company, maybe 50 people) and manned up and told her the situation face to face and was as professional about it as possible. She turned on me like I had just told her to go **** herself and they treated me like they just found out I stole something. I couldn't believe it. It's been 15yrs and I still remember it very clearly and am still pissed.

Moral of the story - if you do decide to bail on the current job, just slip out with your stuff tomorrow evening, leave anything you will have to give back to them there, then send an e-mail and never look back. They are going to hate you either way, so don't give them the opportunity to treat you like a criminal.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
You say 40% more work. But does that mean more hours too? Or just that you'll be busy during the same 8 hours? If hours are the same, then i'd welcome the work, but I hate being bored(current job is horrible for that).

I say take it, or like others said, get them to up the ante a little bit. Be professional with current job when you let them know, but be firm that it was a business decision and nothing personal.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Take the new job. If you're barely doing any work now, what's a 40% increase of nothing? Unless you enjoy being a peon and don't like money, it doesn't make sense to not take the new job. Just let your current employer know that a better opportunity came along and no hard feelings. Just make sure the new job is a slam dunk. Don't trust a recruiter blowing smoke to make it seem like you already have the job. If your current company wants you that badly, they'll sweeten your pot to convince you to stay.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I would stay, sounds like your happy at this place since work isnt crazy, benefits are good, and pay is good.

Defknotzero

Established Member
You say 40% more work. But does that mean more hours too? Or just that you'll be busy during the same 8 hours? If hours are the same, then i'd welcome the work, but I hate being bored(current job is horrible for that).

I say take it, or like others said, get them to up the ante a little bit. Be professional with current job when you let them know, but be firm that it was a business decision and nothing personal.

40% more in same 8 hr day.

If I tell my current employer I already know they'll throw me out and get pissed (I don't blame them).

Users who are viewing this thread