This sucks!!!!!

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have never had bad gas during a data log, but one of the reasons I switched to e85 was the ability to test it before filling up. the test takes 5 minutes max and I have been filling up with e85 that tests 89% for the last few months. I have left the sample over night to double check it and it leveled out at 88% overnight.

Getting a proper tune is worth the bullshit you are going through, but it is crazy that you are getting bad gas from all the big brands. When I bought 93 I only bought it from name brand stations just off the highway in nice areas where I regularly saw gas trucks restocking. usually shell or Mobil only, hess and bp if I was low and needed it now.

NoVA_Mike

Established Member
He said that right now, WaWa and Shell have the worst gas possible, stick to BP and sunoco.

Only around 5% of all gas stations use their specific fuel from their own brand specific pipelines and refineries. The fuel stations in a given area all use fuel from the same depot and that fuel comes from whatever company pipes in fuel. Unless he gave you the specific locations of the gas stations and they get their fuel delivery from different depots they're using the EXACT same gasoline all they do is add their specific additive before delivery.

Last edited:

69camaro...

Established Member
Only around 5% of all gas stations use their specific fuel from their own brand specific pipelines and refineries. The fuel stations in a given area all use fuel from the same depot and that fuel comes from whatever company pipes in fuel. Unless he gave you the specific locations of the gas stations and they get their fuel delivery from different depots they're using the EXACT same gasoline all they do is add their specific additive before delivery.

This ^^^^^. Plus if your at a station with a single hose, considering 90% of people use 87 octane, when you choose the 93, a half gallon sits in the hose and gets ran into your tank before 93 comes running through. I use Hess that is extremely busy and alot of local guys use, but i still get some knock activity. Who knows. If its pulling timing, its doing its job.

pickles

Established Member
Our shell 91 V power up here doesn't seem to be very good, I had issues with tons of knock and low timing. Tried numerous different shell stations with the same results.

We have husky/mohawk stations with 94 octane (10% eth), datalogs show full timing on that, and car seems to run real strong. So I'll be stickin with that from now on

DallasBoss

Established Member
Our shell 91 V power up here doesn't seem to be very good, I had issues with tons of knock and low timing. Tried numerous different shell stations with the same results.

We have husky/mohawk stations with 94 octane (10% eth), datalogs show full timing on that, and car seems to run real strong. So I'll be stickin with that from now on

I'm envious. So far I've tried Shell, Exxon, Chevron, and Conoco. All showed high knock and pulled timing. I'm about to log Quick Trip, but I'm not confident in better results.

toomnymods

Established Member
god this makes me worry my damn car is pulling timing as well.. I use shell 93 octane specifically. How are you guys datalogging? I have the bama SCt xf3 tuner. Does this datalog? or do i have to buy soemthing that plugs into this to datalog?

GT915

Established Member
Still having problems with fuel in the Pensacola area? My AED tune works great on 93 pump.

After seeing this thread ressurected, I data logged my AED lope tune on Shell 93 last night and it was disgusting. It started seeing knock 2400 rpm and timing was never more than 20 degrees. Unleashed Beast lives here and has no problem so I think it is likely something wrong with my car but don't know what it is.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
After seeing this thread ressurected, I data logged my AED lope tune on Shell 93 last night and it was disgusting. It started seeing knock 2400 rpm and timing was never more than 20 degrees. Unleashed Beast lives here and has no problem so I think it is likely something wrong with my car but don't know what it is.

I've datalogged during the tuning phase with Shaun and again at the track. Using 93 pump from Citgo and Shell. Neither fuel and/or logs had Shaun bring up anything about knock retard.

DallasBoss

Established Member

Have you tried some high octane race fuel fuel and logged with that? My logs on pump 93 were also showing lots of knock and no more than 20 degrees timing. Once I relogged with Sunoco 105, I had no knock, which ruled out my car being the problem.

GT915

Established Member
Have you tried some high octane race fuel fuel and logged with that? My logs on pump 93 were also showing lots of knock and no more than 20 degrees timing. Once I relogged with Sunoco 105, I had no knock, which ruled out my car being the problem.

I wish unleaded race fuel was available here but it is not. I've already checked. If E85 were conveniently available, I'd do that. Do you run only 105 or was that just for troubleshooting? As it is now, I baby the car unless I have torco in it because i worry about hurting it Don't think that doesn't piss me off.

DallasBoss

Established Member
I wish unleaded race fuel was available here but it is not. I've already checked. If E85 were conveniently available, I'd do that. Do you run only 105 or was that just for troubleshooting? As it is now, I baby the car unless I have torco in it because i worry about hurting it Don't think that doesn't piss me off.

Oh I completely understand being pissed off. It's ridiculous to pay for 93 octane and get crap. E85 is somewhat prevalent around Dallas, but I'm hesitant to try it. The 105 was used only for troubleshooting to rule out a possible false knock reading. Even mixing in the 105 with each pump fill up is not economical. I am going to try Torco and find the smallest quantity needed to prevent knock, and hopefully this will keep deposits build up to a minimum.

I'm hoping that the rash of bad gas is temporary and that quality 93 will be readily available in the near future. How do you like Torco? I've yet to use it.

GT915

Established Member
Oh I completely understand being pissed off. It's ridiculous to pay for 93 octane and get crap. E85 is somewhat prevalent around Dallas, but I'm hesitant to try it. The 105 was used only for troubleshooting to rule out a possible false knock reading. Even mixing in the 105 with each pump fill up is not economical. I am going to try Torco and find the smallest quantity needed to prevent knock, and hopefully this will keep deposits build up to a minimum.

I'm hoping that the rash of bad gas is temporary and that quality 93 will be readily available in the near future. How do you like Torco? I've yet to use it.

Using it was the ONLY time I've ever data logged with no knock. Twenty bucks per can per tank will get old quick plus I don't really like the idea of using it. Have you seen pics of the plugs from cars that use it all the time? It ain't pretty. I still think something is up with my car because Unleashed Beast lives here and doesn't have this problem. Hes got to be using the same shit I am.

GrabberOrange

Established Member
Just got an email from Shaun and i too have some knock. Also, I live in the middle east.. Maybe theres a reason 93 oct is cheap here...

Users who are viewing this thread