this is the best pilot bearing removal tool that i've used

Black Sex

Established Member
I have always used and hammer and chisel. It looks like a good investment though

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I am pretty certain that our pilot bearing is too small to work with that tool.

That was just an example. My point was that they are cheap, and for those that are paying $70 at Amazon, you are getting hosed. Search eBay and there are a ton that will probably work. You can even rent them at AutoZone and O'Reilly's IIRC.

The last time I pulled a pilot bearing, I just did it old-scholl and packed some grease in and used a punch to force it out hydraulically. That works too!

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I used one from advance auto and it was junk. Looks like the same thing. I would bet the otc is better then the junk I used.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I have always had trouble with pilot bearings on my old fords.

So now when replacing the clutch on my '04 cobra, I was trying to get it done without all the fuss.

I picked up the bearing puller from Harbor Freight for about $15. It seemed like a decent tool for the $$.

Unfortunately, the OD of the 3-jaws were to large to fit the OD of the pilot bearing. I used my grinder to remove about 1/16" from each jaw so it would fit inside. I was dissapointed to see the inner bearing section pulling out with the outside housing still firmly in place.

I stopped the process to do a strategy check before proceeding. I now see that it is fairly commong for the PB to come out in two pieces. So I now see a few options....

a) keep pulling out the bearing center and then use my same puller to try and get the outer section out. /// Is the outer section harder to pull? (I wonder)

b) Try the bread/wet paper/playdough method. Not sure if the center section being partially out will cause problems with the hydro method. ??

c) Go buy or rent a puller to hammer this sucker out.

These have always given me fits!! Almost makes me want to drive a auto!!
......almost.

mark

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Update:

Last night, I chose to have another go at the TOB with the modified HF pilot bearing puller.

The center (roller)section of the bearing came right out without any issue.

Then I set the tool up to pull the outer bushing. I was a little concerned about lining up the 3-jaw HF puller because of the groove in the back face on the bearing, but it did not turn out to be an issue. It came right out without any trouble!! :banana:

This was by far the easiest pilot bearing removal ever for me. I have tried slide hammers, the grease method and ususally end up cutting them out with a dremel.

The modified $15 HF puller is now my preferred method!!

vip3r1850

Established Member
I used the bread method as shown in my video below, works great, cost about 3 bucks and I made toast afterwards:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53MWc_dIR-s"]Pilot Bearing Removal Using Bread - YouTube[/nomedia]

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
And that was AFTER you pounded the bread??! I am sorry, but that still looked like a PITA. Through that entire video, I was waiting for you to bust you knuckles in the tunnel. I am sure that I would have! But thats just me.

My HF puller was about <$15. It took 3 minutes to skinny it up with the bench grinder to fit the ID. It came out in two sections, but it came right out?? And no hammer!!

Users who are viewing this thread