This cant be right....500HP after mods

Huddleston

The Sawed Off Scott Gun
Established Member
So I recently ordered a power package and tune through Van and finally got around to having everything installed. In addition to the intake, pulley, plugs, and tune I purchased a offroad x pipe as well. I was unsure what amount of RWHP to expect but I certainly thought it would be more than 505 after the mods I mention above. Am I being unreasonable? Running 93 btw.

I am curious if the guys didn't tune the car properly. I have used this shop for years and they have always done great work so I am a little surprised.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
What dyno and tuner?

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
Could be a number of things. Bad tune file. Heat soak. Plugs not gapped correctly. Bad dyno. A lot of variables. Did you data log the dyno run?

Huddleston

The Sawed Off Scott Gun
Established Member
I don't think its heat soak.

im not sure if they data logged the dyno run. I will ask about the gaping on the plugs. they are supposed to be gaped at .028.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
You should ask what the norm is for that dyno. Some read low and just remember, it's mainly a tuning device and the track tells you how well it is tuned. If they say their dyno normally puts out low numbers, and someone else much more knowledgeable than I can talk about the whys, it could be that simple.

Last edited:

Huddleston

The Sawed Off Scott Gun
Established Member
I put down 500 with CAI, intake, 2.6 pulley, and tune on a tough dyno.

that makes me feel a little better. i was expecting somewhere in the 520 range. i thought most 2012's stock were anywhere from 460-490. with these mods i figured i would at least pickup 50-60 hp.

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
What were your numbers before the mods??? You should be looking at the delta.

Huddleston

The Sawed Off Scott Gun
Established Member
car was never dyno'd before the mods so im not sure. i don't really have anything to go off of to note the change. i know in speaking with Van over the phone he said they typically were 460-480ish in stock form. i suppose if my car was 460 i should be happy i picked up another 45hp.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It's tough to compare numbers due to so many factors so don't sweat that too much. Weather, location, dyno, tuner, etc all play into it.

Huddleston

The Sawed Off Scott Gun
Established Member
I haven't driven the car yet so I am sure I will feel the difference in how hard it pulls and the sound. I am not mad about it, I just wanted to make sure it was reasonable and be certain there was no cause for concern over the shops work. like I said, these guys have done great work for me for a long time.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Hard to say without some before numbers on the same dyno. I would data log with your sct/laptop and have them checked just to be sure. I made 519/521 with a tune, 2.59 upper if that helps.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
What were your numbers before the mods??? You should be looking at the delta.

This.

Data log it and make sure everything looks good. Take it to the track this spring and see what the trap speed says - that will tell you if you're making the power you should be.

RSAGT500

Established Member
How many pulls on the dyno did they do? My first pull was 75hp lower than what I expected and then the next two pulls were right about where it should've been. I think it was heat soaked or something.

Van@RevanRacing

Huddleston

Data logging on the dyno is the equivalent of running on a tread mill and doing an EKG. It reveals everything.

IAT2 high and Retarding Spark
Knock Sensor Retarding Spark

Just for example. If you have knock it will retard spark 1-2 degrees and voila you're down 30-40 RWHP.

Excessive IAT2 (I know it's cold out but we still need to data log) you get over 130-140 IAT2 and spark advance retard kicks in.

Here's the good news. For 2011+ GT500's you can data log your car and send the logs in to Lund Racing for review for free. You simply need a laptop and your xcal and the supplied USB and you're in business. Log onto the website, create a user ID and get the necessary parameters for logging and rock on.

I hope this helps and please feel free to call me if you have any questions or need assistance.

Van

Users who are viewing this thread