Thinking of selling the Cobra

KosherCobra

Established Member
I'm serious, I guess it's mid-life. Going to be 40 next year and I am revaluating everything right now. I know I dumped a boat load of money into the car and it's ready to take on either a high PSI twin-screw or a heavy dose of N2O. I don't even drive the car often, it only has 8,200 miles and sits in my garage.

SALEENGTROUSH

who wants to race ?
Established Member
NO! DO NOT DO IT come on kosher, keep it, and start driving it more often, make some vids for us, take it to the track, do all sorts of stuff, just dont get rid of it:nono:

KosherCobra

Established Member
I'm gun shy to put the whipple on the car and boost the car and make crazy HP and blast off 10's. I know the motor is killer but I'm so paranoid everytime I hear something I think its the motor. My Steeda Tri-ax was rattling and I tought it was the motor. I don't know if I feel 100% dropping the hammer with conviction considering what I just went through. I'd feel someone else would benefit from what the car car really do without having a bad experience.

djc

Professional Nerd
Established Member
You just bought that thing after dumping your L.

You must be loaded!

KosherCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by djc
You just bought that thing after dumping your L.

You must be loaded!

Far from it. Dumped the L after I put the Works 112 on and it didn't run right, then put the Eaton back on and the truck never was the same. I should have never did the blower swap on my L, I would have still had the truck.

Once I get uncomfertable about something (in every aspect) I just get rid of it. Eventhough everything is fine.

I'm going to sleep.........later guys....

CyberDaveA

Established Member
I hope the person that bought your L knows that it wasn't 100%...

And BTW... don't get rid of the cobra... SaleenGTRoush has some good ideas for you...

whippleblown03

Established Member
keep it. i traded my 99 lightning for the cobra. i have had some buyer remorse at times. then i go out on the back roads and nail it a few times. puts a big old grin on my face. if got rid of my cobra i dont no what i would do. all i would have left is my wifes PT CRUISER and i think i would go insane. what do you replace it with that would make you happier. 400+ hp and 20+mpg on the highway. american made. makes me feel good and kicks @ss on most cars bone stock. go to a all ford drags or ford car show ans see how many people druel over the cobra. my vote keep it you will just want another one in 6-12 months.

jasil

Established Member
I remember before the motor popped you posted about keeping it in your garage a few years, but I know the feeling.

After you shuck out all that money and then sit back and say "What's stopping this from happening again" ......"If it does then what" it can make you rethink how logical being a car nut is.

I have friends who think owning a sports car is nuts. To them a car is A to B transportation or a kid hauler why anyone would want to spend all that money modding a car makes no sense.

I wish I was like that sometimes. There are much cheaper hobbies out there..my wife doesn't care what she drives. I think of how many vacations the family and I could take for the price of the cobra and mods....I'm ranting now, but do what is best for you and your family.

KosherCobra

Established Member
Today, I'm just going to clean up the car, change the fluids and figure out what the car is worth. I was going to do a full motor swap with a stock Cobra but it didn't pan out. It's going to take alot of convincing with my friends to keep it. I guess I'm just going through a withdrawl after having the Whipple on my car and I have the stock Eaton on now. That crazy HP is a more powerful drug than crack!!! I'll figure out what I'm going to do after I come back from my trip overseas in mid August.

SALEENGTROUSH

who wants to race ?
Established Member
ok ok ok.... well i say give it 1 more chance, put the whipple on.... get a excellent tune, and there ya go. if it fails again, sell it:shrug:

03Cobra745

Go to www.trackschedule.com, find some events, put the baby on a track and REALLY enjoy the car! I rarely drive mine on the street, but I'm in heaven on the track! :D

Other options: SVTOA events, join the NASA, etc.

Drag racing is too quick! 10-12 seconds and you're done! I'm on the track for at least 20 minutes per run!

Just got back from 2 days at Summit Point Raceway (2 miles/10 turns) with a Porsche Club. (30 minute runs, 4 runs per day) What a high! Going into turn 1 @ ~130 mph was awesome! It was also great to show some of those $100K+ Porsche owners what American Muscle can do! :lol:

These cars are meant to be on a track and to fully appreciate and enjoy them, that's what you've got to do.

So, keep the car and put it on the track and you'll really have a great time! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

jshen

Established Member
Mid-life?

Been there-done that. It's a point in life where we don't act rationally. I sold a perfectly good 300 ZX twin turbo...for a Maxima. I had hot rods all my life. Well, when the 03 Cobra came out...I went back to my roots. Neighbors think I act like a teenager with this thing..and I too will sell mine.....when the new Cobra comes out.....:lol:

Rwick7

Established Member
I just sold mine and am already looking for another one.... :(

I've looked at cheaper alternatives but I know there just not gonna cut it. I will have another 03-04 within 6 months...as long as the wifey lets me :beer:

JaketheSnake

roll race? where?
Established Member
if you consider selling it, you might as well, you either want to keep it or you dont, esp after putting money into it, you are goig to part it out, let me know, im interested in the bottom end parts

stangfreak

Established Member
kosh, cmon brotha, dont sell the car. your going to tell me that you dont enjoy driving that car? you DONT have to put 1000hp on the car man, its not written in stone or a must. if you already shelled out the money and bought a bigger blower, the whipple, just set it up to have 550 rwhp. dude who cares if theres someone faster than you. enjoy the car man. i was also in this state of mind of having 650rwhp. im crazy just like you. now im doing the apten on tuesday with a 3.0 pulley!!!! yes you heard it, 3.0 pulley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what did you expect of having a car with 600+rwhp. this will break. thats the price you pay for power. thats a 720hp car driven daily. thats a lot lol sometimes we are jaded with our cars and dont realize it. theres guys out there with mustang gt's, put a procharger on there, get like 360-389rwhp with a good tune and they walk out of the dyno with a HARD ON! at some point we have to be happy. this car has style and looks great. imo, make it fast but also make it a car that you take to a fancy restaurant or a hot date. if you want a drag car, i would buy a 5.0 for 2000 grand, redo the whole motor and make it run 9's. this is my opinion.

Wild Bill

Established Member
Sell it then.I think you'll be sorry though.I know for myself I cant be happy with an A to B car.You are probably the same,why fight it?Its not rational to do the things we do but thats what we like.I say be thankful you are blessed to have the money and freedom to have crazy hobbies like this.None of the people I work with can understand me either,but I wouldnt want their plain jane lives.One guy that always laughs about my car said just the other day that he cant wait to retire.He's only 30yrs old!The guy never does anything and his wife never lets him spend a dime.I said why dont you live your life now? Dont feel guilty about what you enjoy.As long as you take care of your family pay the bills and put something away for the future.Life is too short and in the end I dont think we will regret money we spent,as much as things we never did.I say keep the cobra and make it the monster it should be!

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
It's your car, do what you want. Personally, I would have a hard time stepping down to a slower vehicle. Maybe you just need to hang back a little from the cutting edge. That edge gets pretty expensive as you know. :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread