thinking of s197 GT

dizzygoat

Established Member
If you have a choice of getting a gto id get the goat. Especially if its the 05-06 with the LS2, i say this partially cause i own one already and its by far nicer than ANY mustang ive ever been in, and has as much or more potential than most all stangs, excluding the 03-04 cobras, and the GT500's.....
Heres where im going to contradict myself: Im actually thinking about trading my goat in on an '08 with a factory supercharger, only because im addicted to forced induction and modding, which is alot cheaper and easier to do on a mustang. The only kicker is im afraid of how fast/bad the S197 is going to depreciate in value. I only owe $13k on my goat, and can get close to $20k for it. Ill be trading it in on a $31k mustang, so with that said, im afraid i wont see any positive equity in the mustang until its paid off 5 years from now. So i have to make up my mind, take a hit on money and go with something that suits my needs as far as mods go, or keep the goat for a couple years till its paid off and have good enough equity to get into something on down the road.
Basically if i get this mustang, its something im going to have to keep for a LOOONG time to avoid going upside down on its value.... decisions, decisions!

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
If you have a choice of getting a gto id get the goat. Especially if its the 05-06 with the LS2, i say this partially cause i own one already and its by far nicer than ANY mustang ive ever been in, and has as much or more potential than most all stangs, excluding the 03-04 cobras, and the GT500's.....
Heres where im going to contradict myself: Im actually thinking about trading my goat in on an '08 with a factory supercharger, only because im addicted to forced induction and modding, which is alot cheaper and easier to do on a mustang. The only kicker is im afraid of how fast/bad the S197 is going to depreciate in value. I only owe $13k on my goat, and can get close to $20k for it. Ill be trading it in on a $31k mustang, so with that said, im afraid i wont see any positive equity in the mustang until its paid off 5 years from now. So i have to make up my mind, take a hit on money and go with something that suits my needs as far as mods go, or keep the goat for a couple years till its paid off and have good enough equity to get into something on down the road.
Basically if i get this mustang, its something im going to have to keep for a LOOONG time to avoid going upside down on its value.... decisions, decisions!

While the GTO is a great car it is very expensive to mod. it's a high compression motor and cannot take any boost.

the Mustangs are relatively cheaper to mod and there's a ton of aftermarket vendors out there.
slap a blower on a GT and you have 450+RWHP ready to go

almach

Established Member
I would not get carried away here, my 08 GT/CS Vert is awesome, but my 03 mach would destroy it but it wasn't stock. I really hope I'm wrong and the GT is close to the times of the mach, the gt hasn't been to the strip yet but the Mach was quick. The GT has JLT, dyno tune, 4:10s and LCA's and I dynoed at 295. The GT is awesome to drive and it's my DD as was the mach, which had 95,000 miles on it when I got rid of it, but it was A blast to drive. I miss the mach but I wouldn't go back!

amorrow

Established Member
The S197s are definitely more comfortable to drive everyday. I use mine as an everyday car, and couldn't be happier. In my opinion, there is no better driver for the money; it's a great balance between value, comfort and relatively "raw" performance.

But, the older ones are more fun to take out and run on occasion (imo, of course)...I sure wouldn't go back to driving a pre-'05 everyday, though.

Last edited:

Julie GT07CS

Established Member
My 07 GT/CS is WAY more comfortable then our 03 Cobra. But, the Cobra wasn't built to be a luxury car LOL. We are lucky to be able to switch off between the two cars depending what kind of mood we are in. :-D

IMO.....the GTO looks like a FAMILY car! C'mon you guys! :eek:

zincmock03

Established Member
like someone else has said..a stock mach pulls harder and has a LOT more of the "put you back in the seat" feeling. I have driven a 06 gt 5 spd and also a auto and they just did not impress me. Nice riding car, but most people who buy mustangs dont need them to ride like cadillacs!

dizzygoat

Established Member
high compression yes, but being able to not hold "any" boost is over exaggerating. There are numerous goats running 10-12psi no problem, yeah thats not alot of pressure, but it makes ALOT of power. Any FI running stock psi, which is normally 4-6psi is making anywhere from 450-500 whp, and will be good for low 11's-high 10's depending how well you hook. With that said, its not like the mustang where it needs alot of boost to make power.
True the mustang holds more boost and can be fast, but no matter what, once you go FI on the goat it will be on another level.
I also want to add its very common for bolt on goats to run mid-low 12's, theres even one or two, maybe more now that are running 11's with bolt ons.
I know this isnt the place for me to be praising the GTO, but "most" of what i said is facts.

dizzygoat

Established Member
I must add that there is ALOT of aftermarket support for both the LS1 and LS2 out there, granted it may be more expensive than the mustang parts, but you gotta pay to play.

Users who are viewing this thread