thinking of s197 GT

stang1101

Established Member
hey guys, I currently have a 03 Mach 1 close to stock with 21k miles. However, I'm looking at 06-07 Gt's. I'm really am looking for something more comfortable to drive, but still has some guts with good looks. I'm also looking at the 6.0 GTOs. If I got one, I would prob. do full bolt ons with 4.10's and maybe a supercharger down the road. How reliable are these cars, more comfortable? Do you think a full bolt on could hang with my Mach? Looking to spend around 17-18 with under 15k miles.

silverstang23

Established Member
I went from a 2000 to my 2008. The s197 is a lot more comfortable. The a197 sits better, has a nicer interriorand drives better. It is better , as a daily driver. From my personal experience, the s197 will hang with your mach 1 without any bolt-ons.

bullittrevor

Established Member
I would say get the gto. I have driven both and the gto interior is much more comfortable. Stock for stock the gto is faster and better sounding. The one down side is gas mileage which would be 15-17 in the city. And the gto might be heavy but it has a really mean look to it.

S197man

Established Member
I'd say definatley get the S197, and you'll enjoy it more than the Mach 1.

First, get a CAI and tune- this is nearly a must. Night and Day difference.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
you'll never go back to the 99-04 platform once you drive the s197 platform. it's a totally different car from the ground up.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
An S197 with just intake and tune will hang if not beat the Mach.

4.10s are the perfect gear for the S197 manuals IMO.
3.73s are the perfect gear for the autos.

Like Termin8tr said the S197 platforms is completely different than any other year. It was very comfortable and has nicer interior. Yet still has the power you would like with just bolt ons. I loved my 06 GT but had always wanted a 03/04 Cobra and finally thought it was time to get the Cobra and sell the GT.

Last edited:

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
i've had an 05 v-6 coupe auto trans- i beat a mid 80's foxbody coupe
and an 06 gt convertible also auto trans with a jlt cai and 93 octane tune from evolution performance and that car barked the tires in 3rd
the s197 is a much better, sturdier built car. the ride is the best of all the mustangs to date. very quiet as far as squeaks, rattles and road noise. handles better than my cobra and definately has more interior room.

Last edited:

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
i've had an 05 v-6 coupe auto trans- i beat a mid 80's foxbody coupe
and an 06 gt convertible also auto trans with a jlt cai and 93 octane tune from evolution performance and that car barked the tires in 3rd

I had the JLT cai and 91 tune from BAMAchips and it would bark in 3rd too. Good cars for sure.

S197man

Established Member
+1 Fred @ Evolution rocks. I'm catching rubber in 3rd gear too with my auto.

I hope the tranny holds up, lol

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
you'll never go back to the 99-04 platform once you drive the s197 platform. it's a totally different car from the ground up.

Bingo. I had an 03 Mach1 and an 03 Cobra. The new platform is hands down better. If your looking for a good driver just go to the dealer and test drive one. You will fall in love.

stang1101

Established Member
Bingo. I had an 03 Mach1 and an 03 Cobra. The new platform is hands down better. If your looking for a good driver just go to the dealer and test drive one. You will fall in love.

Yea, I'm going to drive one this weekend hopefully, so we'll see how I like it.

blck04gt

Just a stupid GT....
Established Member
I agree with all these guys. I had a blown 04 GT and it was definitely fast. However, once you get into an S-197 and drive it, you'll fall in love. Besides your Mach 1 sits on a 30 year old chasis that was WELL in for a complete overhaul.

4valvemach

Established Member
Well I got out of my 06 GT and into my mach1 because I wanted a mach1 ever since they first came out.

Pros/cons of the 06gt
pro=looks very close to the 69/70 mustang
con=shifter is very uncomfortable (to high and to far back)
pro= ride is very very nice
con= engine looks gay
con=rear sits to high
con=everyone has one

pros/cons of mach1
pro=Its a real mach1
pro=engine looks great
pro=shaker to watch while driving
pro=not to many people have them
pro=will be worth more over time
con=ride is fair
pro=pulls much harder then a s197

The gto is a very nice car but having never owned one I could not say much about it

Last edited:

stang1101

Established Member
Well I got out of my 06 GT and into my mach1 because I wanted a mach1 ever since they first came out.

Pros/cons of the 06gt
pro=looks very close to the 69/70 mustang
con=shifter is very uncomfortable (to high and to far back)
pro= ride is very very nice
con= engine looks gay
con=rear sits to high
con=everyone has one

pros/cons of mach1
pro=Its a real mach1
pro=engine looks great
pro=shaker to watch while driving
pro=not to many people have them
pro=will be worth more over time
con=ride is fair
pro=pulls much harder then a s197

The gto is a very nice car but having never owned one I could not say much about it

Thanks for the nice chart there...

so your saying the Mach pulls harder? I really do not want to sacrifice any power leaving a Mach. If I did get a newer GT I would do full bolt ons with 4.10's most likely. Everyone says the newer Gt doesnt have a lot of rar power feel, but I think that may be due to just the smoother ride.

I guess I'm just looking for something thats just more comfortable when crusing around town with around the same power. When i'm in the Mach, I never really feel relaxed when I'm driving. Hard to explain.

Last edited:

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
Thanks for the nice chart there...

so your saying the Mach pulls harder? I really do not want to sacrifice any power leaving a Mach. If I did get a newer GT I would do full bolt ons with 4.10's most likely. Everyone says the newer Gt doesnt have a lot of rar power feel, but I think that may be due to just the smoother ride.

no way stock to stock

I guess I'm just looking for something thats just more comfortable when crusing around town with around the same power. When i'm in the Mach, I never really feel relaxed when I'm driving. Hard to explain.

i know EXACTLY what you mean! That's how I always felt going from my cobra to the GT.
I'm telling you, go take one on a long test drive

4valvemach

Established Member
At 3k in the mach you can feel the car pulling and putting you in the seat in the s197 the car just has a empty/weak pull nothing really crazy.I think you just need to drive something else to see what you like.For me I would never get another s197 again maybe a gt500 would be nice but even still the shifter position just drives me nuts.That was the main reason I got out of my 06gt.

cars you should test drive

FORD=s197 gt,stage 3 roush,bullitt,gt 500

PONTIAC=gto

DODGE=challenger:rockon::rolling::beer::D:burnout::coolman::thumbsup:

:lol:If you cant tell I would suggest the challenger for your next car

THE_STIG

Established Member
I went from a 2001 Cobra with 0 torque to this GT with lovely amounts of torque. I think that this car is the most fun car I have ever driven. My favorite part about it is the retro style of it, around 3000 rpms it sounds like Steve McQueen's 1968 S-Code. I would highly recommend one of these cars to anyone, I test drove Mach 1s before I got this car and the Mach 1 was an amazing car, i'd still love to own one, but this GT just stands out to me.

cobra mike

rice killing king!
Established Member
i just bought an 07 GT/CS auto, and i love the way it drives.. feels week as crap. but it outran a freind of mines car that runs high 13s, and his feels like its twice as fast as it does
but i guess im used to the pull of my 97 cobra, with a built engine, and a turbo...lol..

Users who are viewing this thread