Thinking of quitting my apprenticeship

mcaligiuri

Established Member
I got accepted into a stationary engineer union apprenticeship. Been in class for 6 months and finally just got an apprentice job in the union. The problem is I don’t think this is the career I want anymore. The job has blue collar workers and the pay is good but there is no advancement to say a management position. Guys are 50-55 and still having to do hard physical labor. I’m regretting getting myself into this and think I should look elsewhere for employment. Any words of advice?

Right now they have me on grounds duty at the hospital I was hired at. I have to walk around pick up trash/cigs and make sure the grounds are clean. This is not even close to relatable to what I should be learning which is hvac.

mcaligiuri

Established Member
I also forgot to mention that I have to pay $1200 a year for school materials for the next three years. And had to give in $600 initiation fee right around Christmas. Feel I got scammed

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
My son got a job as a welder/pipe fitter "trainee" and determined the same thing you did after 8-9 months of busting his ass, crawling in and out of furnaces, wandering around way up on catwalks. He's in college now, but I don't know that the degree he's pursuing will accomplish anything.

It's one thing to know you don't like what you are doing. Lot's of folks don't. I once heard in the deep dark past that 80% don't like what they do. The challenge is finding something you think you would enjoy and can pay the bills.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
I got accepted into a stationary engineer union apprenticeship. Been in class for 6 months and finally just got an apprentice job in the union. The problem is I don’t think this is the career I want anymore. The job has blue collar workers and the pay is good but there is no advancement to say a management position. Guys are 50-55 and still having to do hard physical labor. I’m regretting getting myself into this and think I should look elsewhere for employment. Any words of advice?

Right now they have me on grounds duty at the hospital I was hired at. I have to walk around pick up trash/cigs and make sure the grounds are clean. This is not even close to relatable to what I should be learning which is hvac.
I think you answered your own question. Find a HVAC apprenticeship.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I think you answered your own question. Find a HVAC apprenticeship.
That's what one of mine was going to do and decided not to. You learn electrical, mechanical, and some refrigeration if you can get on the industrial side. I placed plant engineers for 25 years and the engineering managers who were my past customers recommended that.

Down here in the southeast if you go through a community college program (get in line to do it) there are plenty of jobs in the spring on the residential side.

Zemedici

Established Member
'If you enjoy what you do, you wont work a day in your life'

Find something else. Life is too short. However, anywhere you work, you will have to bust your ass to earn your stripes. I lugged Bus batteries for Napa for 2 years before I got started in the dealership world. Gotta work your way up the totem pole.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Shit i'm 27 and realized at this point it's not finding something you like doing, it's finding something you dont mind doing.
I always took the highest paying jobs that would actually hire me, and that I thought I could tolerate. In my case, it had more to do with who I was working with and who was running the place. The "right" people can make a lot of things tolerable.

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
Shit i'm 27 and realized at this point it's not finding something you like doing, it's finding something you dont mind doing.

The real trick is to figure out what you want to do before you get a girl pregnant or your career
will pick you.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

coposrv

Established Member
The trades are a tough way to make a living but we can never be outsourced or replaced by robots or call centers. If you’re looking to get into hvac find a smaller company and tell them your goals.

I got me feet wet working vacations and summers for my dad. My father owns an electrical contracting firm and after high school I started right away with another family owned company near by. I started by being the job site bitch by day and going to school at night. By 21 I passed my test and had my journeymans ticket. I’m 32 now and have my masters and a few guys working for me. Some weeks I work 80hrs in the freezing cold or blazing heat but I wouldn’t trade this for anything.

Unions can be difficult to work for and very political. Look for a merit shop.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

_Snake_

Established Member
I always took the highest paying jobs that would actually hire me, and that I thought I could tolerate. In my case, it had more to do with who I was working with and who was running the place. The "right" people can make a lot of things tolerable.

This is me as well. That being said, I almost left corporate America this year for a job I know I would have enjoyed.....but paid less than half of what I’m currently making. I got lucky and made an internal move that is at least as good, and no change in pay. :)

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
The trades are a tough way to make a living but we can never be outsourced or replaced by robots or call centers. If you’re looking to get into hvac find a smaller company and tell them your goals.

I got me feet wet working vacations and summers for my dad. My father owns an electrical contracting firm and after high school I started right away with another family owned company near by. I started by being the job site bitch by day and going to school at night. By 21 I passed my test and had my journeymans ticket. I’m 32 now and have my masters and a few guys working for me. Some weeks I work 80hrs in the freezing cold or blazing heat but I wouldn’t trade this for anything.

Unions can be difficult to work for and very political. Look for a merit shop.

Nothing wrong with going career union in the trades. I became self employed in the electrical industry because some of the worst work environments existed on the "merit shop" side.

mcaligiuri

Established Member
I’m 31 with a bachelors degree in industrial management. Have 14 years automotive under my belt. I’ve taught it and have ase certifications. I was trying for a career change to better myself. I’m married with 2 kids and a mortgage. I’m a hard worker but this is just plain awful.

13BlackGT

Established Member
I went to trade school in electrical and worked in industrial construction for several years. I got into controls and I like my job as a E&I Tech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
See if you can get into a Biomedical Engineering Tech job. There are different modalities you can go into. You work in AC all day every day.

I have been able to move up quickly, I’ve had offers from manufacturers to do field service without ever applying, there is a lot of room to grow, and there are more openings than qualified people.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
i've learned many moons ago that there are some people (myself included) who hate any new job, no matter how good it is. luckily i also learned how to keep my mouth shut about it until i found my niche.

sit down and think about it 3 times before you pull the trigger. also i wouldn't bail unless i had something else that i wanted to get into.

SirShaun

Established Member
I’m 31 with a bachelors degree in industrial management. Have 14 years automotive under my belt. I’ve taught it and have ase certifications. I was trying for a career change to better myself. I’m married with 2 kids and a mortgage. I’m a hard worker but this is just plain awful.

Heard the railroad is pretty sweet, but it's tough to get an interview. Your degree and mechanical experience may be quite relevant. I'd give it a shot at least.

Users who are viewing this thread