Thinking of purchasing a Stg 5, questions

Qwk GT

Established Member
Hi all,

I'm thinking of purchasing a steig stage 5 blower, but had a question on that tq plate. I've read a lot on how these things have broken the welds and people have had to return them to steig to have them rewelded.

Was there any difference between the stage 5's with the tq plate and the ones without? Wasn't it an option, like a stage 5 vs. a stage 5+? Was it just the plate that was the difference, or did they change the port between the 2?

Reason I ask is if I get this blower, I'm wanting to just take the plate off. I'm hoping it won't really affect anything.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You need to find out which "Gen" of Stage 5 you have. When the torque plate weld issue arose, Stiegemeier on a 1:1 basis removed the plate or welded it with a thicker plate. The Gen 2 Stage 5 was done with better welds and a thicker torque plate. If you're looking at a specific Stage 5 blower then get the serial number and call Bob/Robyn to see which Gen it is. I wouldn't buy a "Gen 1" Stage 5. You want the thicker plate and improved welds.

I believe you can remove the torque plate if you choose to do so, if it's a Gen 1. But then you're defeating the purpose of the Stage 5 and should consider a Stage 4. Here is a quote from Robyn on the Stage 5. "Stage 5 blower that has throttle response equal to running a 2# lower-but without the cost of not only a lower pulley but no expensive fuel system upgrades."

Qwk GT

Established Member
I'll call steig and give the serial number. The guy advises that the blower was sent back to steig and the plate rewelded.

To be honest, I just don't want to have issues with the plate. This particular blower has low miles, which is the real reason I'm looking at it. I'm in no particular market, anything stg4 or up, or posi, but I'm kind of on a deadline. We are trying to fly a tuner out here and I'm wanting to get something soon, seemed like a decent deal.

Off topic, I've been looking at the how to page for the blower removal, from the pics it looks like the guy loosened the lower intake bolts to get to something underneath.

Won't this ruin the gaskets (lower intake to cylinder heads)

Are most of you guys taking the lower intake off with the blower?

Thanks,

Qwk GT

Established Member
Just remove the plate and call it a day...

Thats what I want to do, just wanted to make sure they didn't change the port specifically for the plate, like it would cause issues or anything.

anyone else have a stage 5 to comment? Any guys who did their own install want to give advise whether to remove the lower entirely or just remove the front bolts to lift the lower to get to whatever I need to loosen under the blower?

Users who are viewing this thread