Thinking of plastidipin the car.

ls1eater

Established Member
I know there are a lot of pro and con people when it comes to plastdiping a car but I was thinking of doing it in the color in the video, actually looks real nice(and I will be doing it with the gallons, not the cans) what is everyone's opinion. Will be my DD by the way.
YOU CAN SKIP THROUGH THE VIDEO ONCE HE STARTS PAINTING IF YOU JUST WANT TO GET AN IDEA OF COLOR. IT'S 80-85% BLUE AND 15-20% BLACK MIXED TOGETHER....
My Car as it sits.

and here is the video of the color i was thinking of.
Plasti Dip S4 Custom Blue Color DipYourCar.com Pro Car Kit - YouTube

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Its your car
With that being said, just no.

Sent with my over sized Johnson

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Just learn how to become a real paint/bodyman if you want to do it yourself. Plastidip is not the answer to not having any paint/body skills.

This. Plastidip is not the answer bro, learning how to be a decent bodyman and painter is not extremely hard nor does it take a lot of talent, now if say you wanted to do stuff that wins national events, /that/ takes practice

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
This. Plastidip is not the answer bro, learning how to be a decent bodyman and painter is not extremely hard nor does it take a lot of talent, now if say you wanted to do stuff that wins national events, /that/ takes practice

You forget something very important...PAINT IS PERMANENT!. Trust me, I have painted many cars, its not NEARLY as easy as people think, it take 5X more prep work and will show EVERY flaw when your done. Plasti dip is a GREAT and cheap alternative.

OP, go for it, I have been considering dipping my black 2013 GT white :beer:

Edit:
Paint: $4000, permanent, needs a pro to do it.
Wrap: $1500-$2000, removable, can DIY but easy to mess up, pro install suggested.
Dip:$300, removable, DIY, no pro needed, will look great.

Last edited:

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
images

Sn95Snake

Established Member
You forget something very important...PAINT IS PERMANENT!. Trust me, I have painted many cars, its not NEARLY as easy as people think, it take 5X more prep work and will show EVERY flaw when your done. Plasti dip is a GREAT and cheap alternative.

Edit:
Wrap: $1500-$2000, removable, can DIY but easy to mess up, pro install suggested.

This! :beer:

Blown38

Established Member

Edit:
+1
I rattle canned mine with PlastiDip cause I wasn't sure if I would like the strips. Its not perfect but not bad. Hard to lay it on the horizontal surface when the can gets low. Very little prep, just cleaned the paint with quick detailer. Hardest part was getting the lines straight.

That blue looks good. It might take more of it to cover the black paint. I know the red I did on mine took alot to cover the black. May have been cause I couldn't let it dry so the tape would peel off without pulling the dip.
DSCN1035.jpg

RichM1983

Established Member
Look I'm not a car painter but the advice that its not hard can't be right. I'm not saying its impossible to learn but you can't pick it up by doing one car, especially a car as nice as yours. You learn by doing old junkers for practice to get better.

I think the plasti-dip in the video looks good. Does that stuff peal off in big sheets?

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Look I'm not a car painter but the advice that its not hard can't be right. I'm not saying its impossible to learn but you can't pick it up by doing one car, especially a car as nice as yours. You learn by doing old junkers for practice to get better.

I think the plasti-dip in the video looks good. Does that stuff peal off in big sheets?

Yes, its peels off very easily.

adidasUNT8

Established Member
I just peeled mine off in about 30 minutes just a couple hours ago. Don't be discouraged by what some of the people in here say. The body shop complimented me on how well it looked. Initially they thought it was a wrap. Then he said flat black is very hard to paint and have look good, how many years experience did I have painting. I told him it was a dip and it took me only a few hours. Don't fear it, it's your car, do as you wish. The body shop guy even bought the kit I bought to do his new jeep bc he was so impressed.

Last edited:

masimpson86

Established Member
My only complaint with my pony wheels on my coupe I did... when dirt gets on the wheels, it pretty much sticks to it and is very hard to get off.

TClark22

Established Member
I have noticed this forum hates the dip!

While doing and entire car is a big step, i am thinking of doing the wheels on my mustang until i can afford some TF mach 5s. My bullits are in bad shape, clear pealing. Thinking of dipping them black

oooo2stang

Established Member
MAKE SURE YOU LAY DOWN ENOUGH COATS.
I had my wheels dip for over a year. It's a nightmare if you only applied 3 or so light coats.

Users who are viewing this thread