Thinking of going to a supercharger.

~Ray~

Established Member
I ran 12lbs on my stock block before bending a rod, then I upgraded to I-Beams & Forged pistons & have run in the upwards of 14lbs making over 600 ft/lbs of torque @ just 2500 rpms.

Kenne Bells last over 100,000 miles, Centrifugals you have to have rebuilt every couple thousand miles.

Kenne Bells ARE MORE FUN, Makes it feel like you have 1000hp everytime you touch the gas, For Instance: The 03 & 04 Cobras came with very similar superchargers as Kenne Bells, though different as Kenne Bells are better but they both operate in the same manner & everyone knows what fun it is & why everyone owns one of that year.

Fast93

HP 76GTS
Established Member
I don't know about the self contained part. The Powerdyne I had a long time ago was fine. I think it's just think the Prochargers were bad, just like the customer service and turn around were, but I have heard and seen good things, just not with me.

I'll see later if I can post some pics up of the different setups.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
~Ray~ said:
I ran 12lbs on my stock block before bending a rod, then I upgraded to I-Beams & Forged pistons & have run in the upwards of 14lbs making over 600 ft/lbs of torque @ just 2500 rpms.

pfft. Ever felt the front end lift and the car lunge forward at 115mph :-D. That's what centri's making over 500rwtq between 4100rpm-5500rpm feels like :pepper:

Its really what any individual wants. I like the centri's. The biggest reason I never contemplated a KB is because I hate the way it looks on a 5.0 car. However like Ray has mentioned, I am sure it makes a great street blower as well.

Trust me, whatever you decide, you will have a lot of fun with it! :D

green 02 grizzl

Established Member
I talked to a installer today and he said he could make the car run on 8# boost with a sct tune and I would have no worries with the stock internals. What do you guys think? Is that possible? Thats with the kb and no intercooler on 93 octane.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
you will hack up more by installing a driver side mounted SC -battery relocation, air to air intercooling ducts than just tapping a single hole in the oil pan.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
93cobra#3326 said:
you will hack up more by installing a driver side mounted SC -battery relocation, air to air intercooling ducts than just tapping a single hole in the oil pan.

no you won't

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
no you won't

you dont think?
i do. anytime i see someone do such type of mods, shit gets hacked. i find it to be quite funny actually.
but anyways, what your saying is drilling, adding brackets for a intercooler, running battery cables to the rear, drilling holes in the floor for them. drilling holes for the battery relocation brackets etc... thats not hacking more than one single hole in a oil pan? hmm :shrug:

91lxcoupe

NOTCH U
Established Member
93cobra#3326 said:
you dont think?
i do. anytime i see someone do such type of mods, shit gets hacked. i find it to be quite funny actually.
but anyways, what your saying is drilling, adding brackets for a intercooler, running battery cables to the rear, drilling holes in the floor for them. drilling holes for the battery relocation brackets etc... thats not hacking more than one single hole in a oil pan? hmm :shrug:
I'd have to agree w/ you there. Only things I modified were oil pan hole and enlarging the fender hole just a tad for the power pipe. You'll also have to relocate the MAF to the driver side for the ATI right?
I also like simply changing the engine oil and knocking out two birds w/ one stone. I like knowing what my oil pressure is b/c as long as I have oil pressure on my gauge, I have sc oil going through it at all times.
Ultimately, run what YOU want to run and do plenty of research. As mentioned, they all have their pro's and con's just like everything
else.
Good luck in your decision.

svtdriven

Established Member
Fast93 said:
I don't know about the self contained part. The Powerdyne I had a long time ago was fine. I think it's just think the Prochargers were bad, just like the customer service and turn around were, but I have heard and seen good things, just not with me.

I'll see later if I can post some pics up of the different setups.

wow! I one time heard of a procharger blowing up and that was a long time ago. I put 25k miles on my P6 and it was running fine when I sold it.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
93cobra#3326 said:
you dont think?

brackets for the intercooler require no drilling because they use existing holes. the battery relocates to the passenger side (where they were on pre-87 cars) so no hacking there. My MAF stayed in the same area because it is a blow thru setup.

I "hacked" my oil pan and shaved some material off the nose piece. That's it. Anybody that hacks anymore doesn't know what they are doing

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
brackets for the intercooler require no drilling because they use existing holes. the battery relocates to the passenger side (where they were on pre-87 cars) so no hacking there. My MAF stayed in the same area because it is a blow thru setup.

I "hacked" my oil pan and shaved some material off the nose piece. That's it. Anybody that hacks anymore doesn't know what they are doing

first let me say im not trying to start some silly argument here just trying to keep the facts so the guy can make a good decision based only on how modification it will take to install "joeblows" SC kit. no other variables.

so there is absolutely NO drilling of any kind to install the whole intercooler system? if so then im truely impressed, cause ive heard horror storys, guys cutting up the driver side fender, radiator support etc..

is your battery on the passengers side now? did you keep the coil, starter soleniod etc.. on the drivers side? (i obviously dont know, im just asking)

can a procharger system run with the stock mass air or do you have to swap to a blow throw, or other aftermarket?

again not picking a fight, just asking some questions to make a descussion which is what a forum is about :beer:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
93cobra#3326 said:
first let me say im not trying to start some silly argument here just trying to keep the facts so the guy can make a good decision based only on how modification it will take to install "joeblows" SC kit. no other variables.

so there is absolutely NO drilling of any kind to install the whole intercooler system? if so then im truely impressed, cause ive heard horror storys, guys cutting up the driver side fender, radiator support etc..

is your battery on the passengers side now? did you keep the coil, starter soleniod etc.. on the drivers side? (i obviously dont know, im just asking)

can a procharger system run with the stock mass air or do you have to swap to a blow throw, or other aftermarket?

again not picking a fight, just asking some questions to make a descussion which is what a forum is about :beer:

no problem. I am not arguing :thumbsup:

yes, my coil, solenoid, etc is still on the driver's side. Battery is the only thing I relocated as of right now. I am hoping to relocate the above mentioned items to a hidden location this year along with the wiring just to clean up the engine compartment. Battery is located on the passenger side. I did have to modify the battery tray to do this just because I was to lazy to round up or order a pre-86 battery tray.

I am sure the 'smaller' procharger systems can run the stock but I don't know who would want to. I am running a Pro-M Univer (3.5") on my setup. The plug'n'play adapter I got from pro-m to use the univer gave me enough wire to locate the MAF in the inner fender on the pass side. The intercooler mounts to the bumper mounts on the frame so the no drilling required. You just use existing holes.

I did waaaaay more modifying installing my taurus fan than I did my blower kit

12-psi

Established Member
green 02 grizzl said:
I talked to a installer today and he said he could make the car run on 8# boost with a sct tune and I would have no worries with the stock internals. What do you guys think? Is that possible? Thats with the kb and no intercooler on 93 octane.

How many miles you have? I installed mine with about 105k and ran it untill 113k, and decided to build a real motor. I think at stock output you should be fine with a good tune. I used the stock pulley on my s-trim and just garage tuned it, never had a problem.

Fast93

HP 76GTS
Established Member
OK, before anyone says anything, mine has been hacked up, but everything is coming out, and the engine compartment will be smooth. The turbo and fuel system were installed at my house. It's amazing how nicer everything looks when you do it yourself.

P1SC:
640x480p1sc1lt.jpg

YS: Taken with a flash at night, therefore the different color.
640x480ys4ua.jpg

This was the smaller 66mm turbo, before the 76mm went on. You can definitely see the hole left from the Procharger. There is even a larger one on the other side from the YS. Yes it's getting fixed soon.
640x480smallturbo1mo.jpg

Here is a picture from the rear.
dsc018346rb.jpg

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
Fast93 said:
This was the smaller 66mm turbo, before the 76mm went on. You can definitely see the hole left from the Procharger. There is even a larger one on the other side from the YS. Yes it's getting fixed soon.
640x480smallturbo1mo.jpg

nice clean engine bay man :beer: like lee said i wanna clean mine up this winter as well. i dont PLAN to go as far as you did, just hide the starter sol. coil, fuel pump relays, but we'll see i usually get carried away when i start things like this. :rollseyes
this pic here is what i was refering to mainly with having to hack up your engine bay with a procharger kit. i did want to have to make that hole in the inner fender like shown in the pic. is that necessary for all procharger kits?

wow you know the more i look at that pic, i am impressed. that turbo install/engine bay looks real clean. i really like how you've still got AC :beer: awesome

Last edited:

green 02 grizzl

Established Member
12-psi said:
How many miles you have? I installed mine with about 105k and ran it untill 113k, and decided to build a real motor. I think at stock output you should be fine with a good tune. I used the stock pulley on my s-trim and just garage tuned it, never had a problem.

I have just under 22000 miles. I am swayed to the kb now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread