Thinking of going to a supercharger.

green 02 grizzl

Established Member
ATI Procharger P1SC w/2 core cooler on a 1993 Cobra

I am favoring this set-up, mainly because of the ease of the install. Any of you guys have one? I dont want to have to hack up my car to put it on. ATI support recommended a 9# boost. What power level would be expected with a stock engine? What if any bolt-ons would help? Thanx

unibager

Established Member
I know this doesnt help, but back when I had a shop, I never got a kit from procharger that made the boost that I was promised. I had installed 5-6 units on vetts, to mustangs and had the same experience all times. My blower of choice is the vortech, and I did not have the intercooled one on my car. Race track + daily driver 17# o' boost baby.

svtdriven

Established Member
i had one on my 98 cobra that was making the right psi of boost. it performed flawlessly for the 20k I put on the car and was on it when I sold it. I've heard of people having problems with just about every make. from leaks, to siezing up, etc. seems like they would all do a decent job though.

17 psi? nice! what were the specs on the motor?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I run a Procharger D-1 w/ 3 core intercooler on my car. IT was used when I bought it (unkown mileage) and I have around 8k-9k miles on since installing.

I like it

unibager

Established Member
17 psi? nice! what were the specs on the motor?[/QUOTE]

I had a 302 (stock short block) with trick flow heads, a wolverine cam, holley systemax intake, factory throttle body (lx), and the "chevy killer" pulley attatched to a S-trim non-intercooled vortech. This combo at 4000' elevation produced 568 hp to the ground @ 17#'s O' boost.

This led to block failure, and a 306 sportsman 8.5:1 comp short-block, and the blower that "stps the heartbeat of America" - T-trim.

This combo netted 598 to the ground at the same boost. I sold the car to a guy, the guy went to the track, the track got :xpl: sprayed with engine parts. He didnt hear it detonating on a hot day - ooooooops!

~Ray~

Established Member
Get a Kenne Bell. They are the ultimate street blower, they are alot easier to install (1-2 hours total) they don't have to be rebuilt ever few thousand miles & are overall just more fun to drive ;)

Teal93

I was running a vortech but switched to a hp performance turbo kit. Made 70 more hp and 120 ftpd of turqe with the same boost. and it made it 3000rpms sooner than the vortech peaked out.If you have time it is a easy install if not rushed.

badvenm

Established Member
I have heard about Pro-chargers having some problems with seals, I have had a vortech s-trim for 5 years and have had no probs. I also over spin it and no probs. If you do go vortech get the aftercooler, I got great gains. Just my opinion though.

unibager

Established Member
Well, I suppose since you want to be able to remove what you install with no apparent disturbance to the factory equipment, you are going to have to go with the procharger. If you do, I would defenitely step-up to the d-1sc. It is an upgrade, however, it will be a dynamic blower and is still self contained.
I think overall that you need to make a list of what you dont want (such as, self contained, intercooled, boost level and so forth), and this will lead you straight to the blower that fits your needs.
Good luck with your choice, and although one blower may be a little better than another in some aspects, the main brands and types all have strong points, and the bottom line is you will have more power and that is what you want.

~Ray~

Established Member
Kenne Bells don't require tapping into the oil pans or anything else, it just replaces your upper intake & you use a different belt that's it.

91lxcoupe

NOTCH U
Established Member
I'd suggest a KB even though I run a vortech and love it. If I ever remove it, its just a 3/8 pipe plug into the oil pan which is no biggie. Of course, turbo would be the best IMO but tuning, install, and price steered me in the other way. Procharger was my second to last least favorite right above powerdyne. I didn't care for the driver side mount, having to put battery in the back and intercooler pipe routing. I do like the self-contained though.

91lxcoupe

NOTCH U
Established Member
Oh and nice choice of ATV might I add :-D .
Mine sports 29.5's, lift, big bore kit among every other thing you can add, and its silver like my coupe :banana: .

91lxcoupe

NOTCH U
Established Member
I don't know alot about em but I do know they make max torque at like 3200 which is where its needed most unlike a centrifugal where it makes its max power at redline and the KB should be a piece of cake to install. Id say 9 lbs. as long as the tune is on you shouldn't have any problems. This has me wanting to yank the Vortech off and run a KB.

Fast93

HP 76GTS
Established Member
I had a P1SC and blew it. Then upgraded to a D1SC and blew it. Then went to a Vortech YS, and loved it. Then went to a turbo. Now street tires are worthless.

If you don't want to tap the original oil pan, buy another and use it. The Vortech is probably your best choice.

On the other hand, I had a 9lb Powerdyne on my 95Cobra about nine years ago, and made around 350rwhp. My buddy at work has a 9lb Powerdyne on his 93Cobra and the number is the same. The blower is self contained too.

Fast93

HP 76GTS
Established Member
I will bite my tongue not to say anything bad about a company, just what happened.

Going down the ¼ with the P1SC at 5k, and then there was an awful sound, then lost a bunch of power. They said I over-revved it. Whatever. It sounded like a jar of marbles. Keep in mind, this was right when they came out. So I upgraded to a D1SC. Next on the dyno, boom, same thing. I paid to have it fixed again and sold it. (The current owner hasn't had any problems). Next, put on a YS then everything was fine. Even with the turbo setup I have now, there are still a few bugs I have to work out. Biggest money pit ever.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.....continue.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Fast93 said:
I will bite my tongue not to say anything bad about a company, just what happened.

Going down the ¼ with the P1SC at 5k, and then there was an awful sound, then lost a bunch of power. They said I over-revved it. Whatever. It sounded like a jar of marbles. Keep in mind, this was right when they came out. So I upgraded to a D1SC. Next on the dyno, boom, same thing. I paid to have it fixed again and sold it. (The current owner hasn't had any problems). Next, put on a YS then everything was fine. Even with the turbo setup I have now, there are still a few bugs I have to work out. Biggest money pit ever.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.....continue.

interesting. Do you think both being SC had something to do with it? I have never been a fan of a self contained oiling system I prefer to run off the engine oil system.

Users who are viewing this thread