Thinking of getting a Tundra TRD Pro or Tacoma TRD Pro. Thoughts?

Sirraf

Established Member
So right now I have a 2017 Nissan Titan Pro-4x. Its a decent truck, but I absolutley hate how the transmission is always hunting for gears, it drives me insane. I've took it into the dealership for this reason, but they could never fix it. Also, the technology sucks ass in it.

So I am looking at a Tundra and Tacoma, both in the same color, both TRD Pro. I plan to go drive them possibly today, but I wanted some feedback from those that may have owned these trucks before. Any pro's con's about the trucks?

f1baad8544f4b04b5adea80640851654x.jpg

image-1.jpg

08mojo

Established Member
Toyota's are solid trucks. I don't have much experience with the Tundras, but I have spent a lot of time in the tacos and 4-runners. If you are looking for technology (infotainment) and creature comforts, toyota is not the truck for you. If you are looking for a solid truck with good resale value, then toyota all the way.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Buddy of mine has a Tundra TRD Pro with the TRD supercharger on it.

Truck has been solid for years, rides good, is reasonably quick (13.6 at the track on some big heavy Nitto’s).

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
If you are looking for technology (infotainment) and creature comforts, toyota is not the truck for you. If you are looking for a solid truck with good resale value, then toyota all the way.

This 100%. The Tacoma, Tundra and 4Runner are in desperate need of a technology makeover, but as mentioned they are solid and the resale value is insane. I bought a 17 TRD Pro 4Runner brand new for $43.2K OTD and sold it with 20K miles for $41K a year later. That 4.0 V6 sucked ass though as I was getting 16.2 avg MPG's, granted I threw on a 2.5 lift, 275/70/17's and heavy duty rock sliders so that needed to be factored in.
Don't forget, color plays a huge factor in resale value. If I had had a 17 Cement I could have traded it in for more then what I payed new.
If you are looking at off roading at all I would suggest a TRD Offroad instead of a Pro as the factory Pro suspension is lacking on many fronts. I wished I listened to others and grabbed an Offroad as I would have spent the saved cash on superior suspension upgrades and probably would still have it.

My94GT

Established Member
I like the tundras but felt the interior was still lacking a bit. I cross shopped them and the f150 as I’ve previously owned both trucks. Ultimately I went home with a 19 ram. Have had it since December and have 7k miles on it so far, would gladly purchase one again.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I leased a Tacoma before moving into my Tundra, both solid trucks and my Tundra has plenty of room and rides like a Cadillac. No regrets on either truck.

My Tundra is a 2012 TRD and I'm happy with it. I imagine the newer models with more advanced tech are even better.

Love that blue Tundra btw.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
If you're planning on new, I'd wait a minute until the full specs of the 2020 Tacoma is released.

Voltwings

Established Member
I got a 2017 Colorado instead of a 2017 Tacoma, because in every measurable way the Colorado is better: HP, TQ, MPG, towing, payload... Now, 2017 is when Chevy first introduced the 8 speed, and frankly I've been less than thrilled with this truck. Maybe an 18 would have been better once they'd sorted the kinks out, but idk.

There are times I wish I'd gotten a Tacoma, but the lack of power and technology just bothered me for that much money. It's like Toyota keeps selling the same old truck because people keep buying it...

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I got a 2017 Colorado instead of a 2017 Tacoma, because in every measurable way the Colorado is better: HP, TQ, MPG, towing, payload... Now, 2017 is when Chevy first introduced the 8 speed, and frankly I've been less than thrilled with this truck. Maybe an 18 would have been better once they'd sorted the kinks out, but idk.

There are times I wish I'd gotten a Tacoma, but the lack of power and technology just bothered me for that much money. It's like Toyota keeps selling the same old truck because people keep buying it...
It IS nearly the same truck they launched in 2005. They switched to D4-S direct/ port injection in 2015 ish so its got a little more grunt but nothing major.

@Sirraf Toyota trucks are doggedly reliable. They wont make the most power, they may not have 100% modern systems, but they are rock solid trucks. Toyota is almost too conservative, but I cant think of one major issue with their late model product. Maybe alternators, water pumps and radiators when they get to higher mileage?

That Tundra is a big bitch, but will be a nice comfortable ride. The 5.7L engine isnt nearly as fuel efficient as I think they should be, but I dont think in an offroad situation you'll be wanting for more power.

Aside from some sporadic timing cover leaks, I havent seen any major issues with 2011+ 5.7L engines in our LX570 which is a very close cousin to the Toyota 5.7L.

fireman02

Established Member
I’ve had a couple Tundras and have been more than satisfied with them. The new Tacoma’s have had some complaints about the trans. Currently have a 18 Platinum. I looked at getting a TRD Pro, but I liked the options and interior on the Platinum better. Plus I was able to get it cheaper than the Trd Pro. I just upgraded the suspension with Bilstein 6112’s/ 5100’s. The trans rocks on the Tundras, shifts great & never hunts for gears. Plenty of power out of the 5.7, and the mpg thing is overblown. We have over 50 trucks amongst the guys I work with from all manufactures. Mixed driving I get low 16’s summer and upper 15’s winter. At most I’m 1 to 1.5 mpg lower than the F150 and Ram 1500’s. The gm 5.3 trucks seem to get the best mpg and those guys get 2 mpg’s better. I preferred that the Tundra doesn’t have any cylinder deactivation or start stop bs. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
They are good enough that my diehard GM/Ford truck only self is going to Tundra on the next go around. Tundras.com is a great site to use

Sirraf

Established Member
I actually went test driving today and I fell in love with the 19 Ram Rebel. Has a 12'' info screen and sweet interior. Rode waaaay better than other trucks I tried.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I've never been a fan of the Tundras, really couldn't tell you why. I think it's mostly the interior and the frame issues they had when they came out always put a bad taste in my mouth.

My old boss bought one to replace his H2 and disliked it so much he traded his wife for her venza.

With that said, the Taco is also lacking in a few things but where they shine is resale. Toyota people are interesting, it's like someone told them all to buy used, so they don't know what a new one costs. When my buddy worked at BMW, he said they had a used Tacoma on the lot for more than a new one. We joked that someone would still buy it, and they did, in 1 day.

But objectively, you can't go wrong with either. If it was my money I would probably go for the Taco.

tistan

Established Member
I actually went test driving today and I fell in love with the 19 Ram Rebel. Has a 12'' info screen and sweet interior. Rode waaaay better than other trucks I tried.
I just bought a 19 Ram too. I didn't get the 12" display. If you go to 5thgenram forum, there seems to be a lot of problems with the 12" system.

roadracer247

Established Member
I’ve had a Tacoma. One of my favorite trucks I’ve ever owned. That said, now that I have a family, I wouldn’t buy another Tacoma. The backseats don’t leave enough room for kids and all their stuff. Baby-seats especially. So my next truck will be a Tundra. Enormous back seat.

I love Toyota for not putting a bunch of extra crap into their trucks like other manufacturers. These are trucks. The Tundra offers a very well built truck. That’s more important to me than any tech gizmo. Like dials that back a trailer for you. Here’s a thought, learn to do shit for yourself. It’s not hard. This isn’t aimed at anyone here. Just thinking out loud. I don’t need or want computers doing everything for me. I do however need and want a truck that can take my family and I on adventures into the wilderness and get us back without breaking down.

Also I wouldn’t go for the TRD Pro. I’d go for a 1794 edition and go with something like a Stage 5 lift from Icon.

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
I've never been a fan of the Tundras, really couldn't tell you why. I think it's mostly the interior and the frame issues they had when they came out always put a bad taste in my mouth.

My old boss bought one to replace his H2 and disliked it so much he traded his wife for her venza.

With that said, the Taco is also lacking in a few things but where they shine is resale. Toyota people are interesting, it's like someone told them all to buy used, so they don't know what a new one costs. When my buddy worked at BMW, he said they had a used Tacoma on the lot for more than a new one. We joked that someone would still buy it, and they did, in 1 day.

But objectively, you can't go wrong with either. If it was my money I would probably go for the Taco.
From my experience the whole toyota being the ultimate is so far implanted in people's heads its not even funny, even comparing resale on new vs used factoring in actual price paid new vs used its not really that big of a difference. Ive seen loads of friends with toyota truck issues but they'll shrug off broken ring gears like its general maininence and then laugh when a ford leaks a bit of oil. IMO its a disese. Friend of mine raves about his 2015 4runner, made me drive it, it was kind of a pile of 1990's junk to me

I know I know "my toyota never had issues"... Neither have the umpteen ford and chrysler vehicles my family have owned over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread