Thinking of getting a Lincoln LS ...

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
and ive read a little bit of negative things about them. However Ive seen one or two post here that suggest that the 03 and NEWER models have the bugs worked out that the older years have. Can anyone attest to this :shrug: Ive done some research and it seems to be a mix of problems but i haven't uncovered any solid info on weather or not the 03 and up cars are more reliable than previous model years. :read:

rickm8

Banned
The old ones, like the first with the speed/radio ration control, were sick, pick one up :)
I think they're like MK3's

mrlrd1

Established Member
and ive read a little bit of negative things about them. However Ive seen one or two post here that suggest that the 03 and NEWER models have the bugs worked out that the older years have. Can anyone attest to this :shrug: Ive done some research and it seems to be a mix of problems but i haven't uncovered any solid info on weather or not the 03 and up cars are more reliable than previous model years. :read:

While better than the 00-02, they're still very problem prone. Remember, it's a Jaguar :xpl:

Just had an 03 in my shop with all sorts of common issues. Fuel gauge inaccurate was one of them. It uses a dual sump tank, with a jet pump and fuel pump. The fuel level sending units are NOT available separate from either, and they both run over $600 dealer cost.

Most to the 00-02 problems carry over to the 03+. The hydraulic cooling fan does not, thankfully.

They're terrible, terrible cars. I wouldn't recommend one to anybody.

Last edited:

carnut101

Established Member
My 03 had its fair share of (sometimes major) problems, but I loved it regardless. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, leaking head gaskets and bad coil packs were a common issue.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i've done a lot of research on this car, and, although i love them, they are inferior in pretty much every way to a jaguar XJ sedan. don't give me that whole jaguar reliability line, because, due to the age of the previous XJ platform, all the kinks have been worked out for a while.

simply put, you can pick up a used jaguar XJR(supercharged 4.0l/4.2l) for around the same price as an LS, have more power, more reliability, a bit of an aftermarket(not much, but certainly more so than the LS), a nicer interior, and an overall better quality car. if you picked up an 05 or later, it will have an all aluminum chassis and body, bringing the weight down to a crazy 3,600lbs! plus, they are possibly the best looking sedan ever designed!

Last edited:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
OP, I was looking at the LS too. The folks here talked me right out of that. You can't beat the accumulated knowledge of SVTP and their willingness to share it.

Jim Snove

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I guess I'll go against the stream. My dad has an 03 LS V8 and loves it. I think its got around 120K on it now. Been up and down the east coast several times with no issues.

Only major issue he had was the leather on the arm rest started to crack so he had that replaced at an interior shop.

I even bought him the LS club's CAI and he got an exhaust and he beats on it. No lie.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I love them, I was going to buy one but i read a thread on here about the maintiance issues and decided against it

carnut101

Established Member
... a bit of an aftermarket (not much, but certainly more so than the LS)...

Not necessarily true. A couple years ago people started putting rear mount turbos and 4.10 LSDs into them. They've always had springs, shocks, and other suspension bits, intakes, and even nitrous. The guy that did tuning for most of the members on the forum really knew what he was doing with those cars.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Not necessarily true. A couple years ago people started putting rear mount turbos and 4.10 LSDs into them. They've always had springs, shocks, and other suspension bits, intakes, and even nitrous. The guy that did tuning for most of the members on the forum really knew what he was doing with those cars.
come on now, that's not out of the ordinary for any car. hell, i could buy springs and shocks, and probably a K&N CAI for a geo metro, but i wouldn't neccessarily consider that as 'having an aftermarket'.
rear mounts also are nothing special, since they can be custom made for damn near any application. you certainly won't be finding a bolt on turbo for an LS. there has been a supercharger kit in the works since about '05 or so, but i'm still not sure if they've even finished it yet(i'll have to check that thread).
unless some major developments have happened in the past few months, your wrong about the rear end parts. a few guys have been working on building a custom cradle to swap in a ford 7.5" or 8.8" IRS pumpkin, but no one is selling a kit for that either.

i'm not saying that there isn't one LS specific aftermarket part on the face of the earth, but i am saying that the jaguar XJR's relatively small aftermarket is comparatively huge when put next to the LS. simply put, there is no real reason to take an LS over an XJ6, XJ8, or XJR, it simply isn't logical at all. i love the LS, it's a gorgeous car, it certainly has some potential, and it's a damn cool lincoln, but there are simply better choices out there.

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
does anybody know if the issue with the valve covers and the cop's have been corrected for the newer models?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I guess like any car you're going to get opinions either way. Just because one model is more prone to repair issues than another doesn't mean you will be unhappy with it. Just means the odds are a bit against you. For those looking for a car that has a higher overall satisfaction percentage then the Lincoln might not be your best choice. But if you like the styling of the car, buy one but do it carefully. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread