Thinking of buying a kimber 1911. Owners chime in please.

VictorySong

Established Member
I'd rather have a Colt Gold Cup for the same money but, since it sounds like you just want looks and brand, a Kimber will serve the non shooter just fine.

You could get a Colt Commander sent to Clark's Custom Guns or someone else who is competent if you sell your glock 22 and m&p 40. That would be the best of both worlds imo.

ETA: By competent I mean someone on this list:http://www.americanpistol.com/ not your awesome smith buddy at the local shop.

Last edited:

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Hey,

I bought my Custom CDP II at Adventure Outdoors for about the same price....

I like that is has the melted edges (smoothened out)

It shoots great... It is very lightweight, but is a bit difficult to conceal as I am smaller body frame and the 5 inch barrel is not as easy to hide even with my Crossbreed IWB holster.

It is my favorite gun in my collection.....Shoots very accurate with Hornady Critical ammo.....

I like it better than my old school Springfield....

Hope this helps......

Last edited:

DNT H8

Established Member
I cannot believe no one has mentioned STI.

STI has been the big player in the 1911 crowd. Buying a Kimber over say a STI Trojan is like buying a 09' GT over a 14' GT.

Kimbers rep has been fading, and their price hasent caught up.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I was looking to buy myself on for xmas last year. Went and looked at a few. while looking I saw a smith and wesson 1911E it felt mich more solid than the raptor so i went home and researched them a bit. That is what I went with. Great gun!

I suggest looking at one.

SCMOKN

Established Member
I bought a Pro Carry II this year and love it. Nice feel and dead on accurate!

DSC01550_zps73926f22.jpg

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
Get a Colt if you're going to shop in the $1000-1200 range. Or save a bit more and get an upper end STI or Dan Wesson. You don't get what you pay for with Kimber. They don't really have any more a failure rate than any other major brand, but they don't have anything in their build (ie MIM parts) to differentiate themselves from other options costing hundreds less.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I cannot believe no one has mentioned STI.

STI has been the big player in the 1911 crowd. Buying a Kimber over say a STI Trojan is like buying a 09' GT over a 14' GT.

Kimbers rep has been fading, and their price hasent caught up.

That's what I told him earlier in the thread. For the money, the STI is hands down the best value and I prefer their fit over my Colt. If I had the money, I would probably find an old Dan Wesson or have a new Nighthawk Custom but that's out of my price range for now. Wilson and Brown make an awesome weapon as well but we're talking 1800 at minimum for any of them and a year or so wait.

Dragu1a

Established Member
hell, i bought my remington r1 1911 for $650 with an extra set of vs grips...i've put different brands of ammo through it, expensive and cheap crap. not a single issue. bought a couple extra wilson combat mags and it's on my nightstand.

i'd love to have a high end piece, but i couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $500...especially for my 1st one.

ZLwhat?

Speed addict
Established Member
Kimber makes a nice piece, but for a few penny's more you could have a Dan Wesson. I love my kimbers and sigs, but my Dan Wesson is by far my favorite 1911

GrayGhost03

Established Member
like stated get a colt...read and heard too many bad things about kimbers at the range. friend sold his kimber not long ago becuz it was picky with ammo. i thought of buying one last year but did some research and decided against it. ive never had any issues with my colts

Blown 89

Established Member
I had an A/C guy in the house today that made me think of this thread. He saw my reloading bench in the house and we started talking 1911's and ISPSA. As I put on my holster and 1911 for the day he mentioned that he bought a Kimber Custom II recently. Upon asking him if he had any problems with it he laughed and said, "Oh yeah". One of the first times at the range his safety went flying off the gun while shooting. He brought it into the gunsmith (a friend of his) and the gunsmith laughed and said, "Oh boy, another Kimber. You should have consulted me before buying a 1911, I could have built you something a lot nicer for the money you spent on that Kimber." He asked what it would be based off of and the gunsmith replied, "A Colt."

That reminded me of this thread so I thought I'd share.

cj428mach

Established Member
I like my custom II and it has treated me well. Probably over 1500 rounds and never a jam when running good mags. The only time its jammed was when I tried to use 8 round mags instead of 7's. If I run 7's or the 8's with 7 rounds in them she works great. I bought mine at the beginning of 09 when I wasn't sure if we'd be able to own semi auto hand guns much longer. After buying the Kimber I've read of some QC issues and customer service issues. I would probably look at a springfield in black stainless. They look amazing.

Blown 89

Established Member
I like my custom II and it has treated me well. Probably over 1500 rounds and never a jam when running good mags. The only time its jammed was when I tried to use 8 round mags instead of 7's. If I run 7's or the 8's with 7 rounds in them she works great. I bought mine at the beginning of 09 when I wasn't sure if we'd be able to own semi auto hand guns much longer. After buying the Kimber I've read of some QC issues and customer service issues. I would probably look at a springfield in black stainless. They look amazing.
There's something wrong if you can't use 8 round magazines. Give this a read if you're having magazine issues:
1911 Magazine Analysis

fake

Established Member
I've got a Kimber Custom II. It's my personal gun and I carry it on duty. Eats all ammo, and I score higher scores when qualifying over my duty issued M&P.

Users who are viewing this thread