Thinking of buying a kimber 1911. Owners chime in please.

Neverbdonegt

Established Member
So my bday is coming up soon and I've decided I will prob add a kimber to my collection. Not sure which one to get though. Owners please post opinions and maybe pics. Here are two I'm thinking about right now.

10247a08ed34a2b956d06127436e5abb.jpg

787a3575d9157de54cef089317a241bb.jpg

Thanks for any info guys.

blk00gtvert

Established Member
Subing. ... i too am looking for feedback. Ive had a few gun smiths tell me they have gone to shit and are not what they used to be and your just buying the name. That they have "sold out" so to speak. No data to back this up though. Ive been told Springfield armory is better for less money. But again would like others to chime in

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I've never owned one but have friends that do. Most are happy with them, one had rust issues and sent it back to the factory a few different times. He had nothing but problems and swore against them.

I love the way they look, not a fan of the price. lol

coldair

I use the search function
Established Member
Unfortunately I don't own one, but I have shot them many times, and every time I do I kick myself for not having one yet. Last time I shot one it was a Eclipse Custom Carry iirc it was a gun shop rental and has been beat to hell and still shot smooth and straight. Buy it

Neverbdonegt

Established Member
I've never owned one but have friends that do. Most are happy with them, one had rust issues and sent it back to the factory a few different times. He had nothing but problems and swore against them.

I love the way they look, not a fan of the price. lol

Me to but I work my ass off and I deserve to buy myself some shit. I have a glock 22 and m&p 40 I carry this will just be my "special occasion" carry. I've just always wanted one. I think they are works of art.

Neverbdonegt

Established Member
Unfortunately I don't own one, but I have shot them many times, and every time I do I kick myself for not having one yet. Last time I shot one it was a Eclipse Custom Carry iirc it was a gun shop rental and has been beat to hell and still shot smooth and straight. Buy it

That's the one I'm leaning towards. Pics don't do the gun justice.

sdg97232

Established Member
I had an ultra raptor 2 and loved it one of the best 1911's I've owned but I wanted a ruger super red hawk Alaskan more so I sold it. You will not be disappointed with kimber they are extremely nice pistols!

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
So my bday is coming up soon and I've decided I will prob add a kimber to my collection. Not sure which one to get though. Owners please post opinions and maybe pics. Here are two I'm thinking about right now.

Thanks for any info guys.

I'll just copy and paste what I said in another thread

Junior00 said:
OP, have you looked into STI's 1911's? They are very well priced, and in my experience the fit and finish is superb for the money as well as they are tack drivers. From my understanding, many of Kimber's former smiths are now employed there. Also, it's cool to know that STI is owned by the employees, which is probably one reason morale stays high and the guns produced are of excellent quality. Really, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major manufacturers top guns, just don't get to caught up and over pay for one.

I will say I have since sold my Classic to a friend at work and it still looks and functions perfectly. My brother in law bought a Eclipse and I had the chance to shoot it, felt very good with a crisp break and excellent grouping. That said, they've been hit or miss as of late so be sure it's what you want. For the price, I'd look around at a few others as well. So are you set on a Government, Commander, etc? BTW, where are you looking? I've seen some great prices over at Cherokee Gun & Pawn, and they've never charged me for an FFL transfer. I also shoot over at Bill's (Big Woods Goods), which is new range is awesome BTW. If you're not shy about using forums, I've picked up many a gun off of GaPacking and ODT in 99% condition for roughly 75-80% of retail as well which is nice if you're trying to stay off the grid. Hit me up if you're ever shooting that way as I'm out there often, in fact working a couple days a week currently building the new Teasley Middle School up by the dam in Canton.

Neverbdonegt

Established Member
I'll just copy and paste what I said in another thread

I will say I have since sold my Classic to a friend at work and it still looks and functions perfectly. My brother in law bought a Eclipse and I had the chance to shoot it, felt very good with a crisp break and excellent grouping. That said, they've been hit or miss as of late so be sure it's what you want. For the price, I'd look around at a few others as well. So are you set on a Government, Commander, etc? BTW, where are you looking? I've seen some great prices over at Cherokee Gun & Pawn, and they've never charged me for an FFL transfer. I also shoot over at Bill's (Big Woods Goods), which is new range is awesome BTW. If you're not shy about using forums, I've picked up many a gun off of GaPacking and ODT in 99% condition for roughly 75-80% of retail as well which is nice if you're trying to stay off the grid. Hit me up if you're ever shooting that way as I'm out there often, in fact working a couple days a week currently building the new Teasley Middle School up by the dam in Canton.

That's funny I was at big woods goods today looking to see if they had any used kimbers and they didn't. I shoot there too. I just bought my m&p40 from them last week. Nice bunch of guys. Ive checked most pawn shops around and no 1911's that i could find.. I think I have my mind set on the eclipse but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have either of the ones I have pictured. Like I stated its not going to be my daily carry that's what the others are for. It will just set in a safe and look pretty and ill carry it every now and then. I will def hit you up next time I go shoot! Sounds like a good time!! :beer:

aaandht

Established Member
I've got a Custom Eclipse II. I have put through over 700 it(it would be more if .45 was cheaper); I had one malfunction with feeding and after switching to Wilson Combat mags I've had 0 issues.

As far as the issue with rust on the barrel. I had a bit on the barrel, I hit it with some Mother's polish and that cleaned it up great...hell it made the barrel look better than when I got it!

Its a great gun which is very accurate. I would love to shoot it more but the cost of .45 is a killer.

blwn306

Established Member
Shot a kimber it was a rental but man it shot like shit! And jammed up every 3-4 rounds! Was good practice, I won't judge them all by this one as it was never maintained. I've been thinking about a Para

Juiced 66

Established Member
Get a Colt

This.. I've owned a couple Kimbers and both had finish problems in no time. (I'm a cop) plus they are too particular on ammo. I switched to colts, and never went back. Besides, when I owned my Kimbers I felt like I was just holding a fake colt LOL! Colt combat elite, or colt special government.. And don't look back.

Blown 89

Established Member
Get a Colt

Agreed. Talk to any reputable gunsmith that specializes in 1911s and ask them what they think of Kimbers and you'll walk out not wanting one. They switched manufacturing plants a few years ago and their quality has been garbage since. Just about everyone I've known that owns one sold it after multiple RMAs. Kimbers are garbage imo.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Colt
Kimbers are ok I think they are over rated. If I had to choose I'd take Colt my Commander has been flawless for decades

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
They're good to go.

I have an Ultra Carry II in stainless. Hundreds of rounds through it and it's never had any malfunctions.

Springfield makes some nice 1911s as of late. But if your heart is set on a Kimber, they are a sexy ass lookin' gun.

Users who are viewing this thread