Thinking of buying a Jeep Commander Limited.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Yeah, the wife is upgrading her current ride for a Jeep Commander. Anyone know the good and bad about it. We haven't made up our mind about getting an 06 or the 07. Which ever we get it will be the fully loaded AWD Hemi Limited. Only difference between the 06 and the 07 is no back up camera on the 06. Thanks

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I like them. If memory serves me correctly, its basically a squared-up Grand Cherokee, giving more interior room. For a SUV, you can also get the Hemi in Grand Cherokee, Durango and the new Chrysler Aspen. Still, my choice of the four would be the Commander, as well. My experience with the Hemi is 100% satisfaction and 100% trouble-free.

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
Garbage :xpl: We lifted one and I got to see all the design flaws both in the commander itself and the terrible 3" kit that superlift makes for them :nonono: Buy a wrangler 4 door unlimited :thumbsup:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
One of the ugliest suvs produced:xpl:

For the ''Limited'' price, I would get the SRT-8 Jeep C.

Or a new Tahoe/ TB SS

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
I just read a comparison or review in one of the bigger mags, had nothing good to say about it. I don't know how old the magazine was though. Motor Trend or Car and Driver.

That's what I know about it. Take that for what it's worth. If you're actually interested I can get you the information from the article, but it's nothing you can't read on the 'net.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have a Jeep XJ so I really like the Commander's styling. My friend has a v6 one, weak, and it is very nice. My problems with it are the hard plastic dash and the IFS. It Jeep would put a SFA in it I'd be all over it.

GLHS837

Established Member
boostaholic said:
Garbage :xpl: We lifted one and I got to see all the design flaws both in the commander itself and the terrible 3" kit that superlift makes for them :nonono: Buy a wrangler 4 door unlimited :thumbsup:

Care to expand on them? Specifically, I mean, what were the flaws?

Last edited:

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
C'mon he obviously stated his wife is going to be looking into it so all your talk about IFS, shitty lift kits and weak V6 engines are pointless. I say if she likes it she should get it. I personally have driven the V8 COmmander and I liked it alot. I HATE Jeeps and Chrysler as a brand but honestly I did like the Commander, driving it made me feel like...well like I was in command.

CentennialVert

Angry Pirate
Established Member
Good truck. Same chassis as the GC. Narrow foot wells, so if you have big feet you'll feel cramped up front. The Hemi pulls very well in that truck. Unless you need the 3rd row though, I'd go with the SRT8 GC...unless the wifey doesn't like the look of the GC...You can't go wrong with either. My friend has an 06 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Hemi...absolutely loaded. He has put about 12k miles since June and hasn't had a problem. Back and forth from Jacksonville, FL to Detroit, MI.

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
GLHS837 said:
Care to expand on them? Specifically, I mean, what were the flaws?
Not nearly as nice as a cherokee, lift kit expanded the flaws in the suspension namely the lack of travel and poor geometry. Most ifs kits are halfway decent for a smaller truck but they just don't compare to the older xj...guess I'm too used to ill long arm cherokees on 37's but I would consider a number of other vehicle choices before buying a commander.

sick408dakr/t

Established Member
SVT4ME said:
Yeah, the wife is upgrading her current ride for a Jeep Commander. Anyone know the good and bad about it. We haven't made up our mind about getting an 06 or the 07. Which ever we get it will be the fully loaded AWD Hemi Limited. Only difference between the 06 and the 07 is no back up camera on the 06. Thanks

Dude, go to Allpar.com and talk to those guys! Excellent information.

GLHS837

Established Member
boostaholic said:
Not nearly as nice as a cherokee, lift kit expanded the flaws in the suspension namely the lack of travel and poor geometry. Most ifs kits are halfway decent for a smaller truck but they just don't compare to the older xj...guess I'm too used to ill long arm cherokees on 37's but I would consider a number of other vehicle choices before buying a commander.

Keep in mind, this thing isn't intended for Moab or the Rubicon, it, like the regular GC setup, is intended for a compromise between road and trail. Just because it doesn't fit a narrowly focused margin of pure trail setups doesnt make it flawed.

Its just not suited to your definition of whats a good setup. If his wife never runs a trail in it, your "flaws" will never make a difference in her life, and therefore arent flaws:)

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
GLHS837 said:
Keep in mind, this thing isn't intended for Moab or the Rubicon, it, like the regular GC setup, is intended for a compromise between road and trail. Just because it doesn't fit a narrowly focused margin of pure trail setups doesnt make it flawed.

Its just not suited to your definition of whats a good setup. If his wife never runs a trail in it, your "flaws" will never make a difference in her life, and therefore arent flaws:)
I'm not a fan of the commanders, grand cherokee is very nice and the diesel liberty is pretty sweet as well. I know she will never get into burly off road shit but it is always nice to know that a truck is setup to take abuse it will never receive :shrug:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I read somewhere that the Commander has been cancelled and that primary reason is that it was competing mostly against the Grand Cherokee for sales.

Users who are viewing this thread