Thinking about upgrading exhaust system. Need advice

hades_1

Established Member
I currently have Ford Racing shorty headers and Flowmaster mufflers (not sure which one, probably 40s) and chrome exhaust tips.
I want something that is louder (but not crazy loud like SLP loudmouth), with a deep throaty sound. Being in California I do have a few restrictions though, I need to keep my cats and o2 sensors.
If possible, I would like an exhaust system that hangs a bit higher to give me more ground clearance so that I can lower my car a bit.
I am wondering what would be the best bang for buck?
Would swapping the stock H pipe with an aftermarket H pipe make any difference? (I guess the X pipe might, but don't they sound a bit raspy?)
Should I just buy catback? Or possibly even just the mufflers?

Right now, I was thinking about that one:
American Thunder cat-back exhaust from Flowmaster $380 (with no tips, since I can probably re-use mine since I don't think there much to gain from switching tips other than look and I like the way they look already :D)
Or possibly the Bassani Aft-cat exhaust system (aluminized) $565 (not sure if worth the extra cost tho)

EDIT: I have 96 convertible that is N/A. FR shorty, CAI, 3.55gears. Griggs racing 40 street kit (which might be a problem with fitment of a new exhaust).

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Switching to a mid-pipe with aftermarket cats would make a difference in volume as the aftermarket cats are less restrictive. You should find out which Flowmasters you have now before buying a Flowmaster catback.

I recently heard a 97 Cobra with stock manifolds, Bassani catted x-pipe and Bassani catback and I was amazed how loud/deep it was for a catted car.

hades_1

Established Member
So, switching to an aftermarket mid pipe would make it slightly louder due to less restrictive cats (possibly minor Hp gains). Do you think it's worth the cost of the mid pipe + install or not really?
I guess the 2 things that would make the car sound better is removing the cats (which I dont really want to do) or changing the mufflers? Changing anything else would only make a small difference if at all, right?

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
If you have ever thought about Magnaflow they are okay. However they are really quiet until you really put your foot in it. Worst part is that i had a tailpipe hanger fall off and the guys up there wouldn't send me another under my "lifetime warranty" because I bought the system from American Muscle. I ended up making my own which was fine but was very disappointed with their customer service.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
You have it backwards. Your midpipe is where all the VOLUME comes from. Mufflers just tune that noise. Mine was wisper quiet with a mac catback, FRPP shorty headers, and stock h-pipe. Same combo with a bassani x-pipe it wakes the dead. Your first thing to try is the midpipe, then choose a muffler after that.

hades_1

Established Member
If you have ever thought about Magnaflow they are okay. However they are really quiet until you really put your foot in it. Worst part is that i had a tailpipe hanger fall off and the guys up there wouldn't send me another under my "lifetime warranty" because I bought the system from American Muscle. I ended up making my own which was fine but was very disappointed with their customer service.

Yeah I went to a muffler shop this morning and they suggested the magnaflow magnapack mufflers ($250 with install). Watched a few videos of mostly stock Cobra with them on youtube and they do sound pretty good.
Would the full catback system offer anything that just the mufflers wouldn't?

hades_1

Established Member
You have it backwards. Your midpipe is where all the VOLUME comes from. Mufflers just tune that noise. Mine was wisper quiet with a mac catback, FRPP shorty headers, and stock h-pipe. Same combo with a bassani x-pipe it wakes the dead. Your first thing to try is the midpipe, then choose a muffler after that.

Argh ok, thanks for the info. I was pretty set on just getting new mufflers, but now I am not so sure. :fm:
The muffler shop mentioned that an X-pipe would actually be quieter than an H-pipe which I thought was strange. Always thought it was the opposite.

EDIT: I suppose you have o/r bassani x-pipe, right? Because if it is, then I am sure it would make a huge difference from the catted stock h-pipe

Last edited:

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
3" tips. at first I didn't like them but later grew into them and I think they look amazing. if you want a can grab a photo for you.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Argh ok, thanks for the info. I was pretty set on just getting new mufflers, but now I am not so sure. :fm:
The muffler shop mentioned that an X-pipe would actually be quieter than an H-pipe which I thought was strange. Always thought it was the opposite.

EDIT: I suppose you have o/r bassani x-pipe, right? Because if it is, then I am sure it would make a huge difference from the catted stock h-pipe

Yes get an off-road x-pipe. They are not that expensive. Keep your factory h-pipe and cats!! Put them on once a year for emissions! Wish I would have kept mine they are worth their weight in gold. The car will sound sick with the x-pipe. A loud muffler on a catted car sound like major crap IMO. For instance there was a guy with straight pipes on his 96 cobra and also a p1sc procharger and his car was half as loud as mine which has Mac chambered mufflers!

Last edited:

98fourvalve

Established Member
What I would do is get a bassani catted x pipe and your choice of mufflers. The bassani cats unbolt and you can bolt the delete tubes in the cats place in no time.

4valved

Banned
Get an x or h pipe and keep that stock one lying around when smog comes around put the stock one back in.... That's what a lot of people do in California... Including myself, I have a bassani x pipe and love it

hades_1

Established Member
Get an x or h pipe and keep that stock one lying around when smog comes around put the stock one back in.... That's what a lot of people do in California... Including myself, I have a bassani x pipe and love it

Yeah, I am almost sold on that. I am going to visit a muffler shop tomorrow to see how much it could to install AND how much it would cost to do a swap when SMOG time comes...
Lots of people seem to love their bassani, now onto finding the cheapest place to get these :)

jj98cobra

Established Member
Bassani is the best. Good second is UPR. Hate to say it for the price, you just have to buy the right length bolts haha.

Yellowvenom

Established Member
MAGNA FLOW MagnaPacs ALL DAY. Best money I have ever spent on my 98. They will give you everything you are asking for. Have them with the stock H pipe and all 6 cats and it just sounds awesome. I get compliments all the time and even recently was asked if I want to trade them for a new SLP LM 1 kit straight across.

BTW it passed CA. emissions with no problem at all with this setup.

4valved

Banned
MAGNA FLOW MagnaPacs ALL DAY. Best money I have ever spent on my 98. They will give you everything you are asking for. Have them with the stock H pipe and all 6 cats and it just sounds awesome. I get compliments all the time and even recently was asked if I want to trade them for a new SLP LM 1 kit straight across.

BTW it passed CA. emissions with no problem at all with this setup.

Mufflers have nothing to do with smog. So of course it passed with stock h pipe on there.

Imo stock mid pipe restricts way to much to get a crisp exhaust note

Yellowvenom

Established Member
Mufflers have nothing to do with smog. So of course it passed with stock h pipe on there.

Imo stock mid pipe restricts way to much to get a crisp exhaust note

No kidding ...

But CA test only will pop you for having an exhaust that is too loud. Happened to me with my fox.

BTW the OP said he wanted a deeper louder sound and my stock manifolds, stock H pipe with MagnaPacs sound loud and deep.

Maybe I should have stated that to begin with...

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
+1 on getting a mid-pipe. as others have said, that is where all the volume and bass sound comes from. one thing i would recommend if possible tho, is to learn how to swap it out yourself so that you can put your stock h-pipe on for smog every two years without having to pay someone each time.

i ran stock-h pipe for years with only a catback and while it sounded good, when i put a bassani catted-x on there, my whole world changed. lol. highly recommended. plus, since you have shorty headers already, it would probably sound even better. best of luck with it :beer:

hades_1

Established Member
No kidding ...

But CA test only will pop you for having an exhaust that is too loud. Happened to me with my fox.

BTW the OP said he wanted a deeper louder sound and my stock manifolds, stock H pipe with MagnaPacs sound loud and deep.

Maybe I should have stated that to begin with...

Yeah thanks for that, I am on the fence right now between getting just the magnapack mufflers or a mid pipe (most likely bassani or magnaflow) with no cats (they are too expensive for my taste with cats). I am just trying to figure out the penalty in CA for not having cats, I have seen peoples mentioning it can be as bad as $2500 per missing cats, which would be too much of a risk for me.

From the DMV website:
V C Section 42001.14 Disconnecting Modifying or Altering a Pollution Control Device
Disconnecting, Modifying, or Altering a Pollution Control Device

42001.14. (a) Every person convicted of an infraction for the offense of disconnecting, modifying, or altering a required pollution control device in violation of Section 27156 shall be punished as follows:
(1) For a first conviction, by a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50), nor more than one hundred dollars ($100).
(2) For a second or subsequent conviction, by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100), nor more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250).

Which would be fine by me :)
But I am not 100% sure it includes the removal of the cats.
Once I figure this out, I'll buy a mid pipe if the penalty isn't too bad or just muffler if it isn't.

Thanks everyone for your help. SVTP rocks :)

4valved

Banned
I've heard of people just getting fix it tickets for the cats.... Which is a 25 dollar correction but at the dame time if you get a mid pipe and decent sounding mufflers chances are they won't bother you.

Users who are viewing this thread