thinking about new cams

silver2001cobra

Established Member
First the mods, built bottom end, fr500 cams,intake,and heads with all the supporting mods. What other cams can i get thats steetable and can give me more power than fr500s? Plan on stroking it this year,so i was wondering should upgrade the cams while i was doing this?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The FRs are very mild and custom grinds are the only way to go. I'll give ya some good specs for nuthin'

With a stroker, cams and a stock runner length ported intake you should be able to hit 400rwhp (edit: 420 or more since you have the FR500 intake)

Comp Cams Stage 2 is a very nice cam!

Their intake lobe center is not even close to what the FR500 intake requires.

Last edited:

silver2001cobra

Established Member
The FRs are very mild and custom grinds are the only way to go. I'll give ya some good specs for nuthin'

With a stroker, cams and a stock runner length ported intake you should be able to hit 400rwhp
i was at 384rwhp before the eletric waterpump,cobra r pulley,and increase timing was done. will the custom grinds be to harsh?i dont want a real lopey sound.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
First the mods, built bottom end, fr500 cams,intake,and heads with all the supporting mods. What other cams can i get thats steetable and can give me more power than fr500s? Plan on stroking it this year,so i was wondering should upgrade the cams while i was doing this?

I forgot that you had the FR500 intake, in that case you will be nearer to 420rwhp or even higher. The "sound" depends on the overlap (duration and LSA). I would spec some cams that have a "near stock" sounding idle for that combo but yet would make a butt-load of power.

How high do you wanna spin it?

Last edited:

silver2001cobra

Established Member
I forgot that you had the FR500 intake, in that case you will be nearer to 420rwhp or even higher. The "sound" depends on the overlap (duration and LSA). I would spec some cams that have a "near stock" sounding idle for that combo but yet would make a butt-load of power.

How high do you wanna spin it?
to about 8000rpm, i also dont want to lose to much down low.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
to about 8000rpm, i also dont want to lose to much down low.

You don't want much do ya? Actually it's doable with fairly mild cams. If you want redline at 8k that would put the shift point near 7800 and peak power at 75-7600. Does that sound right to ya?

With the 281ci shortblock peak power would be much higher.

Last edited:

cobrob

all natural poster
Established Member
Yeah i think the fr500s are too mild. I have a sullivan and it already stared lossing power at 7000 rpm.

silver2001cobra

Established Member
You don't want much do ya? Actually it's doable with fairly mild cams. If you want redline at 8k that would put the shift point near 7800 and peak power at 75-7600. Does that sound right to ya?

With the 281ci shortblock peak power would be much higher.
yeah that sound about right. so if i`m close to 400rwhp now , the stroker kit is only push me to around 420 rwhp?

2001cobraguy

Established Member
not to hijack the thread but can you create a list of all mods done to the car to acheive 380hp? for my own learning experience and to see what you guys come up with for cam specs. i know you have the fr500 intake and heads, cobra r pulley, elec. water pump, and timing.......what do you mean by supporting mods for the fr500 stuff? and cobra r pulley? whats that that crank pulley? sorry new to the 4 valve world and tryin to learn what makes power. thanks. mark

Users who are viewing this thread