Thinking about moving need opinions

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Indiana isn't all that bad but if you get the chance to live in a completely different area I would do it. I plan on moving back to IN in the spring but living in AZ was a nice change, I just can't stand the heat out here.

Living in a place where you have family helps a lot too. It only costs me about $1200 to move across the country so it's something I can do again if I want to.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
So how is the car scene in texas?

Unreal. This was an impromptu "rolling meet" that just kinda happened one night...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U5jpxh09P0&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Houston Rolling Meet - Roll Out[/ame]

This is the banner from the College Station site:

bcss%20banner2%20copy.jpg

I haven't been to a city in Texas that didn't have a bad ass car scene.

GHIG RTR

Banned
I've lived in TX all my life with 30 yrs here in San Antonio and 3 yrs in Houston. I rank it like this:

1. San Antonio
2. Austin
3. Houston
4. DFW
5. Corpus Christi

San Antonio - has the cheapest and affordable housing market out of the 5. Doesn't rain to often, except when you have a wet year here. Usually it's dry one yr and wet the next yr and so on. Traffic is getting worse, but what do you expect from a growing city. Alot of historical sites w/n the city. No dry counties.

Austin -pretty expenisive to live if you live in Austin, but surrounding areas are affordable. University of Texas, enough said there. Different type of people that live there, kinda mellow like. Alot of highways, with some good r$c%^*g locations, great car scenes. I really enjoy going up to Austin throughout the yr. ALOT of traffic.

Houston -freakin huge with a ALOT of traffic. My friends are always telling me about the constant rain they get throughout the year. Humidity has alot to to with the constant rain. Alot of nice places to live, but not too sure about the cost. Gotta worry about hurricanes. The few times I have visited, kinda liked the city. They also have a real good car scene.

DFW - Only been there a couple of times. Don't care for downtown, looked pretty dirty to me. ALOT of traffic. Gets pretty cold to where it snows, and you gotta worry about being in Tornado alley. Only reason we go to Dallas is to watch the 49ers whenever they are in town. Other than that, I don't care for the city. Not sure about the cost of living there as well.

Corpus Christi - not alot of job availabilities. It's on the coast, enough said(fishing, humidity, hurricanes, & bathing suites :) ). We really enjoy visiting Port Aransas and South Padre whenever possible. Not sure about the the housing market,but don't think it's too expensive.

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
DFW - Only been there a couple of times. Don't care for downtown, looked pretty dirty to me. ALOT of traffic. Gets pretty cold to where it snows, and you gotta worry about being in Tornado alley. Only reason we go to Dallas is to watch the 49ers whenever they are in town. Other than that, I don't care for the city. Not sure about the cost of living there as well.

The northern suburbs (Lewisville, Flowermound, etc) are nice and affordable, and it's not too much of a drive to get into town for whatever reason.

Houston has a lot of traffic, if you go to Houston "proper." The outliers have everything you need and it's not nearly as bad. I'm in the Spring/Woodlands area and it's awesome. Reasonable traffic, plenty of shopping, concerts, cars, everything you need. Housing is good too.

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
Check out Tyler, Texas, as well. I plan on moving there to finish my schooling at UT Tyler. I'm not a fan of this big city stuff like it is in Austin. lol

Boosted T-4

GTFD
Established Member
I like the city really. I am like 25 minutes from indianapolis from where i live and i like it. Looks like I will just have to go and check out some cities for myself.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I grew up in DE for about 15 years, then after doing 4 years in the military I went back and got a job in Baltimore MD for 5 months. I have seen a lot of the NJ, DE, MD, PA area and got the hell out as soon as I could. I did a lot of research on the housing market, job availability, weather, and other stuff. I picked DFW when I moved back in 2005.

Unfortunately I work out of country so I don't get to see my house much but I love every minute of it when I am home. I love everything about TX, it is soooo much better than living on the east coast. The people are nicer, the weather is nicer, gun laws, etc.

I was reading a few financial magazines (Money, Smart Money, Forbes) and a few of them said that the DFW, TX housing market went up 1.2% during the housing market crash/slump.

My brother watches my house while I am gone, he has a 40 mile commute from Arlington, TX to his work north of Dallas and it only takes him 45 minutes to get to work. I had a 17 mile commute in Baltimore and it took me 45 minutes to commute to work. People complain about the traffic in DFW… but I don’t think it is that bad.

Be sure to look at property taxes if you are going to buy a house. I pay $400-450 a month just in property taxes for my $165k house. I don’t know if the rest of the larger cities in TX have the same tax rates or not. With that said, I don’t really mind paying the taxes. There were A LOT of tolls on the east coast and the roads sucked. From what I have seen in the DFW area and considering how many people live here, the roads are not that bad. I guess it all works out in the end.

I haven't been to any other area in TX so I can't really comment on them.

ssssnake

Established Member
Check out Tyler, Texas, as well. I plan on moving there to finish my schooling at UT Tyler. I'm not a fan of this big city stuff like it is in Austin. lol

I love that place. Beautiful, nice restaurants, a little hot in the summer. Old southern charm. Trane A/C and Cooper tires, along with Cavender's Western Wear have their headquarters there. And they have a pretty good car presence.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
my wife is a native Texan, and we are planning on moving there in the future, hopefully sooner than later. We will be moving to the Fort Worth area, probably the south side. My wife's dad lives in Crowley, TX, which is about 15-20 minutes south of downtown FW. I have been all over the DFW area several times, and loved it. There seems to be a lot to do, the people are super nice. I got caught in one traffic jam, that was right around 5:30 pm, but it wasn't horrible. The roads are very, very smooth.

I say do it!!!:beer:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I grew up in DE for about 15 years, then after doing 4 years in the military I went back and got a job in Baltimore MD for 5 months. I have seen a lot of the NJ, DE, MD, PA area and got the hell out as soon as I could. I did a lot of research on the housing market, job availability, weather, and other stuff. I picked DFW when I moved back in 2005.

Unfortunately I work out of country so I don't get to see my house much but I love every minute of it when I am home. I love everything about TX, it is soooo much better than living on the east coast. The people are nicer, the weather is nicer, gun laws, etc.

I was reading a few financial magazines (Money, Smart Money, Forbes) and a few of them said that the DFW, TX housing market went up 1.2% during the housing market crash/slump.

My brother watches my house while I am gone, he has a 40 mile commute from Arlington, TX to his work north of Dallas and it only takes him 45 minutes to get to work. I had a 17 mile commute in Baltimore and it took me 45 minutes to commute to work. People complain about the traffic in DFW… but I don’t think it is that bad.

Be sure to look at property taxes if you are going to buy a house. I pay $400-450 a month just in property taxes for my $165k house. I don’t know if the rest of the larger cities in TX have the same tax rates or not. With that said, I don’t really mind paying the taxes. There were A LOT of tolls on the east coast and the roads sucked. From what I have seen in the DFW area and considering how many people live here, the roads are not that bad. I guess it all works out in the end.

I haven't been to any other area in TX so I can't really comment on them.

It's good to hear someone give a direct comparison to this area, sounds very promising. I just moved to northern VA so the traffic is 10 times worse here than anywhere I've ever seen. If I have to travel anywhere between 2-7pm, I pretty much have to plan on it taking double the normal time. A few weeks ago, it took me an hour and a half to get 22 miles on the beltway just because of congestion, no accidents. I cannot keep my cool in traffic, so this obviously isn't the place for me. I looked at some real estate in Abilene and the prices seemed awesome compared to anything in this area. A small 2-3 bedroom townhouse here cost the same as a 4 bedroom house on 5 acres out there.

Anyone have recommendations for mech. engineering jobs down there? I'm sure there are tons, I just don't even know where to start looking.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Anyone have recommendations for mech. engineering jobs down there? I'm sure there are tons, I just don't even know where to start looking.

I would like to know too. I plan on going to UTA to get my ME degree when I am finished doing contract work (in case you didnt notice i work out of country). So i cant really help with that question.

*EDIT* HYBRED might be able to help you with your engineering job question. She just got her degree a few months ago.

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I looked at some real estate in Abilene and the prices seemed awesome compared to anything in this area. A small 2-3 bedroom townhouse here cost the same as a 4 bedroom house on 5 acres out there.

Yeah, but, Abilene sucks :shrug:

For Mech Engineering jobs...
DFW: Lockheed, Boeing, Peterbilt, etc - more technology, some oil field stuff (Halliburton!); there's also manurfacturing.

Houston: Big time petroleum - all the major oil companies, and all the companies that support them. I work for FMC, we design oil field equipment. My BF works for Helix, they install stuff offshore. There is good money in petroleum. There's also HP and other technology companies.

Austin - Dell and other computer companies, I've heard it compared to the Siliocon valley, with cheaper housing.

San Antonio - Mfg Engineering at the Tundra plant, that's about it.

There's work elsewhere of course, but those are the major hubs.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Yeah, but, Abilene sucks :shrug:

For Mech Engineering jobs...
DFW: Lockheed, Boeing, Peterbilt, etc - more technology, some oil field stuff (Halliburton!); there's also manurfacturing.

Houston: Big time petroleum - all the major oil companies, and all the companies that support them. I work for FMC, we design oil field equipment. My BF works for Helix, they install stuff offshore. There is good money in petroleum. There's also HP and other technology companies.

Austin - Dell and other computer companies, I've heard it compared to the Siliocon valley, with cheaper housing.

San Antonio - Mfg Engineering at the Tundra plant, that's about it.

There's work elsewhere of course, but those are the major hubs.

Cool, thanks. I knew you were an engineer, so I figured you could help out. I'll just have to research which places in TX are nice to live in, got some ideas from this thread already. I really don't want to have to drive 30-60 minutes to find fun stuff to do (of course with a jeep, I can make my own fun in the middle of nowhere). I don't really see myself working with an aerospace company, but some sort of auto or machinery manufacturer would be pretty sweet. I'm getting tired of project management and want to get into design or manufacturing.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I would NOT recommend going to work for Dell. They are NOT a fun company to work for since the bean counters and marketing were given the lead in running things.

Personally if I were looking at engineering jobs I would look for a company that is engineering driven rather than marketing driven.

waydeg

Established Member
Native Texan - native Dallasite here.
The north part of Dallas - Frisco, Lewisville etc - is getting pricey but in this economy, foreclosures are everywhere.
Of all the cities (remember I'm from Dallas) I rank them thusly:

1 Ft Worth - more scenic than Dallas - no boob and cocaine crowd to deal with, less transient corporate environment - very good restaurant scene - TCU and Kincaid's (Awesome burgers)
2 Austin - more laid back - beautiful country and affordable vs 3 years ago.
3 North Texas out of metroplex i.e. Denton, Krum, Corinth - very affordable housing, younger community (UNT & TWU in Denton) near the country and North Star Dragway:D
4 San Antonio - affordable but hotter than most places - no winters to deal with, GREAT Mexican food!
5 Toss up - Dallas/Houston - big - lots of traffic, lots to do, Houston closer to the beach - I10 takes you to New Orleans and Gulf Shores.

Amarillo is a great place to raise a family, WTA&M is there, (Lubbock is 2 hrs south) less restaurants but some that rival any in DAL or HOU.
It is a small town with "big town" amenities, friendly people and an active car community as old route 66 goes through the north side of town.
Only hours from skiing, fishing, hiking in NM or CO. Downside is that it is bi$&hin cold in January and February.

If you told us more about what you want - we could narrow it down more

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread