Thinking about moving need opinions

Boosted T-4

GTFD
Established Member
So I am thinking about moving to Texas after I graduate and am wanting to get some opinions from some of you that already live there. I was thinking maybe Houston or the San Antonio area. I am just looking for something different and try something new. I have never been so not sure what its like there. So if anybody can chime in and give me some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I dont know what to tell you other than you're making the best decision.

Boosted T-4

GTFD
Established Member
I hope so lol. I dont know I just want to go somewhere different and see what its like. I thought Texas might be right for me.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I have been thinking about doing the same thing lately. Been outta school and working for 1.5 years and don't really like my job. I've looked at real estate in Texas and it is wayyy cheaper than the DC area, so that's promising already.

To help out the OP, what are good areas to live down there? I prefer somewhere close to a big city, but not really city life. I like my area here where we are less than an hour from DC and Baltimore, but still fairly rural.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Great decision! Texas is awesome.

I've lived in the northern parts of San Antonio, DFW (Denton/Lewisville area), and now Houston (Spring).

San Antonio sucks. All of it. North, south, east, west, it all sucks.

DFW is awesome, at least the part I was in. People are friendly, the weather was nice, and there was a ton of stuff to do.

Houston is a close second. The weather is quirky, it's more of a "big city" feel, the people don't seem quite as friendly on average (although in my area, that's not the case) and traffic can really, really suck. But, nice houses are affordable, and there are plenty of jobs. You can also find homes with acreage not too far away (20 mi or so).

I've also lived in Midland and College Station. Midland sucks, it's boring, really hot in the summers, really cold in the winters, and almost always windy. College Station was my favorite place to live, but it's 100% a college town - traffic sucks during the school year and there are a ton of kids straight out of high school who don't know how to live without their parents. Good weather though.

Where you look at moving depends a lot on your career path. That would really help recommend a location for you.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
Do it! If you can just pick up and leave than go for it. Me and a few of my friends are planning on moving to Florida within the next year. Same thing you said, I'm just ready for a change. Variety is the spice of life.:beer:

Boosted T-4

GTFD
Established Member
Yeah, well reason I was thinking is a friend is going into the air force and moving to texas. We have thought about florida but now that he is going into the air force that wont happen. Thanks for the information so far guys. Keep it going

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Great decision! Texas is awesome.

I've lived in the northern parts of San Antonio, DFW (Denton/Lewisville area), and now Houston (Spring).

San Antonio sucks. All of it. North, south, east, west, it all sucks.

DFW is awesome, at least the part I was in. People are friendly, the weather was nice, and there was a ton of stuff to do.

Houston is a close second. The weather is quirky, it's more of a "big city" feel, the people don't seem quite as friendly on average (although in my area, that's not the case) and traffic can really, really suck. But, nice houses are affordable, and there are plenty of jobs. You can also find homes with acreage not too far away (20 mi or so).

I've also lived in Midland and College Station. Midland sucks, it's boring, really hot in the summers, really cold in the winters, and almost always windy. College Station was my favorite place to live, but it's 100% a college town - traffic sucks during the school year and there are a ton of kids straight out of high school who don't know how to live without their parents. Good weather though.

Where you look at moving depends a lot on your career path. That would really help recommend a location for you.

+1

I have lived in a lot of places all over the US, and College Station is by far and away the coolest place I have ever seen...

The people there are very friendly and just looking for a good time....
As I have told many people before. "It's almost like God was getting a blow job when he decided to make College Station" The girls there are amazing, and I swear to God... It has to be a 6/1 ratio of girls to guys....

I plan on moving back some day.

ssssnake

Established Member
Well, been in Texas all of my life. Born and raised in Houston. Big and dirtyl Lots of jobs and things to do, but you better like driving.

San Antonio - couldn't tell ya much. Been there a few times.

The Metroplex (Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington) loved living there, but it gets in the 100s sometimes in the summer, and it snows and ices in the winter. I liked living in Arlington, between both cities.

Corpus Christi - eh. No jobs, hot and humid as hell.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I moved to Texas after living in the DC area for close to 30 years (got just about all of it covered). Frankly I don't share the negative view of San Antonio but I have only visited which may be why I find it an enjoyable place.

In my opinion the Round Rock / Austin / San Antonio corridor is the best living in Texas. DFW is good if you want big city living and houston just sux ass. I have been to lubbok, midland, and odessa ..west texas is worse than Houston.

But we, who are already in Texas will review your posting history, hold a caucus and decide whether or not you will be allowed to cross the border and let you know the results.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
If you're thinking about moving to Houston

check this Bud Light Real Men of Genius

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d03gH_cFfI]YouTube - Real Men of Genius-Houston Traffic[/ame]

:lol1:

Boosted T-4

GTFD
Established Member
But we, who are already in Texas will review your posting history, hold a caucus and decide whether or not you will be allowed to cross the border and let you know the results.[/QUOTE]

Lol, thanks you let me know what you come up with. I didnt realize it snows in texas either. I know here its pretty cold in the winter and summers are really hot. The weather is really crazy here to. So how is the car scene in texas?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Lol, thanks you let me know what you come up with. I didnt realize it snows in texas either. I know here its pretty cold in the winter and summers are really hot. The weather is really crazy here to. So how is the car scene in texas?

Actually Texas weather is not that bad. It depends, of course, on where in Texas you live. It is colder in west Texas and north Texas than it is down south around the Austin area. I have lived there 10 years and it has iced twice and flurried once. Average temp in the winter is probably 40 and average summer is probably 85 or 90. I will take Austin for the weather alone LOL!

The comment about housing is very true however. My house 2330 sq ft single story, corner lot cost me 160k in 2001. You can't touch that for less than 500K in even a cheap D.C. neighborhood and it would cost you probably 1.5 mil in some areas.

Boosted T-4

GTFD
Established Member
So how much for the same house now? I know our house we got a pretty good deal on. Two story, three car garage, almost 3300 sq ft.for like 180k.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
So how much for the same house now? I know our house we got a pretty good deal on. Two story, three car garage, almost 3300 sq ft.for like 180k.

Hard to tell actually. Round Rock has not been hit nearly as hard as other housing markets and I haven't had a market analysis done on the house or really looked at the neighborhood. I would guess that minus the improvements I have made it would probably go for upwards of 220-230K I have put hardwood floors in and put granite tile and counters in the kitchen so that will bump it even higher.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Well that seems crazy. What about the cops, are they bad about modded cars and street racing?

Modded cars are usually not a problem. Most urban areas (Austin and surrounding counties as well as DFW) have emissions inspections as long as your tune allows you to pass inspection you won't have issues with your car mods.

Since this is not smackdown I will answer your street racing question as nicely as I can. If you are a streetracer keep your moronic ass where you are. We have enough idiots on the road without you adding to the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread