Thinking about E85 for the cobra

henchmen3

Established Member
I was told it burns faster than gas so what type of MPG are people seeing. Im getting 21 MPG now if I just cruise. My car is set up for the switch so would I have to drain all the 93 octane out first? Thanks

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
You are going to lose about 30% gas mileage if not more because you are going to be hooked with more power and MPG wont be a concern. Don't think, DO IT! By your 811 Turbo Cobra sig, I would say you would be ok with the fuel system. Bet on 30%ish more fuel needed.

I would get it as low as humanly possible, because you would be diluting the mixture away from E85. Around here, I have a station that consistently puts out E90 so more could be left in. There are a few ethanol calculators on the internet that you will be able to see what your ethanol content will be with how much gas you have left. It would be hard to know exact gallons though.

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
You are going to lose about 30% gas mileage if not more because you are going to be hooked with more power and MPG wont be a concern. Don't think, DO IT! By your 811 Turbo Cobra sig, I would say you would be ok with the fuel system. Bet on 30%ish more fuel needed.

I would get it as low as humanly possible, because you would be diluting the mixture away from E85. Around here, I have a station that consistently puts out E90 so more could be left in. There are a few ethanol calculators on the internet that you will be able to see what your ethanol content will be with how much gas you have left. It would be hard to know exact gallons though.

Yeah mileage sucks but this guy is right. I don't even think about it anymore. It's kind of like free horsepower. I really like it. You will notice you motor runs smoother also. It is a good deal all around.

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
The only problem I have with e85 is that when I start my car on a cold start I has a rougher idle like missfiring but after it runs smooth as silk ...I believe most e85 cars do this..correct me if iam wrong and if so who tunes for this not to happen.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
The only problem I have with e85 is that when I start my car on a cold start I has a rougher idle like missfiring but after it runs smooth as silk ...I believe most e85 cars do this..correct me if iam wrong and if so who tunes for this not to happen.

Nope mine fires up first crank and idles like it does stock. I tune my own car.

Last edited:

henchmen3

Established Member
So if I go with E85, do I need a re-tune? Or is everything just alot safer?

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
I went over to e85, n i just got the tune all figured out n went from 23 mpg to 17 mpg highway. Btw only the ONLY thing i have against e85, is that i initially got tuned for the e85 summer mixture (which around here was like 90%) but had crap fuel pumps (back in june) had some family issues i had to tend to first before i could get new pumps in it and back to the dyno. Well when i got the new pumps in the car idled like crap n REAKED of e85, but it turns out the new e85 blend was now 78% n that will throw a tune off

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
Does the % change alot?

It probably depends on geographic location. Summer blend in my area runs about E85-87 and winter blend is around E75-77. 90 miles north of me is already at E70.
I had my car tuned for the summer blend and I just live with the winter blend running rich.

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
Ya up here in Ohio we only get 3 months of real E85. So I fill up a 55 gallon drum in August to last me the rest of the driving season.

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
at one point in time here in northern nebraska, our summer e85 was 90% and when i went back for my retune with good fuel pumps it was down to 78% (june for first tune, october for most current tune)

Mystic03

Established Member
not to hijack thread but im thinkin of goin corn route but i read that the corn is thin and could slip past the pistons to the crankcase into the oil...which i know isnt goo especially for a high mileage cobra any suggestions?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The only way the fuel will get by your rings is if they are bad to begin with.

Same with gasoline.

Users who are viewing this thread