Think i snapped a input shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipmonk

Established Member
Last night while doing a pull i shifted 3rd-4th pretty hard and as soon as i let the clutch out and hit the gas in 4th i hear a loud pop and sounds like nails have been dropped by my tranny. No fluid underneath and i coasted into a parking lot and shut it off. The last owner didnt even know the car had a clutch in it when i bought it but i could see a spec through the dust cover. Im willing to bet it has a 10 spline. Am i probably looking at a broken input shaft or did i just grenade the tranny? Its a tvs car on pump gas with mickey thompsons. When i start it in neutral it sounds like a loose parts moving around or broken glass, i havnt tried putting it in gear and moving it im gunna trailer it home and pull the trans this weekend.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Hmm, I don't think the input shaft typically snaps during a high speed shift, it's more of a launch or maybe 1-2 shift issue.

Blueline

Established Member
Yeah Im willing to bet its your clutch/PP took a dump on you. Input shaft usually when dropping the clutch on launch. GL

BaznastyDave

Established Member
I've heard of at least one instance that one snapped on a 2-3 shift at the track on sticky tires. Good luck, interested in the outcome

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Posted this before, but i like the picture. This was a 3rd to 4th shift on the street with garbage r888's on the back. Didn't make sense to me either.
Snapchat-20140419023204_zps4b90f4a6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

RichM1983

Established Member
I'd check out what it looks like up from the dust cover. You should be able to see if the input shaft went.

Apex your pic isn't working.

chipmonk

Established Member
Thanks for the responses guys, i got it home last night which it was a bitch getting it on and off the trailer with how low it is. Im going to be taking the tranny off tomorrow night to see whats broken. Ill see if i can look through the dust cover and see anything tonight when i get home from work. it was cold enough that i wasnt even dead hooked in 3rd on e/t streets i was still spinning some on the 3-4 shift.

Last edited:

chipmonk

Established Member
Worked on it for a little bit last night. I've got 3 bolts left and the tranny will be out I should be able to finish tomorrow. Also I discovered that my rear end is leaking some.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Worked on it for a little bit last night. I've got 3 bolts left and the tranny will be out I should be able to finish tomorrow. Also I discovered that my rear end is leaking some.

Keep us updated if you haven't swap to a FRPP cover with diff bushings it won't leak then.

chipmonk

Established Member
Keep us updated if you haven't swap to a FRPP cover with diff bushings it won't leak then.

It almost looks like it's coming from where the driveshaft attached to it. Looks like the joint is flinging on the exhaust and bottom of the car. Not much but it'd there.

chipmonk

Established Member
Transmission is out and I did in fact snap the input shaft. Well time for a 26 spline and spec 3+!
YBK0KuK.jpg
"]
YBK0KuK.jpg
[/URL]

f2hatch

Established Member
That's sucks. I been there. I snapped my 10 spline input shaft a 2-3 shift during a 1st gear roll race. With a stage 3 clutch. That 6 puck clutch doesn't help either.

Last edited:

chipmonk

Established Member
Ok so I ordered a spec 3+, amp distributing 26 spline input, shims, and a tob retainer sleeve. If I remember correctly the tob and pilot bearing from spec is garbage and I should order oem for that right?

f2hatch

Established Member
thats what a lot of guys say i used the the ones in the spec kit and never had any problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread