They Don't Build Them Like They Used To | 2005 Lincoln Aviator

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
We were changing rear hubs and toe links on 02+ Explorer/Aviator models on every single truck that came in. Probably one of the worst rear suspension, brake and toe adjustment designs ive ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Almost every single one needed parking brake shoes, toe links or a wheel bearing. And if you had to replace one, getting the parts off the other two items meant that those needed to be replaced also.

The worst part of it all? The owners who almost always scoffed at the price and would leave the dealership in an entirely unsafe vehicle, sometimes with children in the back.

The front hubs were 3 bolts and swap them in. All in one units are stupid easy to replace. Might take you 45 min per side and that was if the thing was rusted to hell.

My wife had a 2005 Exploder which had one original rear hub and the other side i replaced at least twice in its 225k mile adventure.
Mine was very sudden. Drove to work and it was a very rainy day, but it drove fine otherwise. When I left for work, it was starting to grind and I had to take side roads to get home. Once home, I let the cool for an hour and decided to take it for a spin to see what's up and it wouldn't really move. I changed out the rear hub myself, just had a shop remove/press a new bearing in.
hub.jpg

hub2.jpg

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Rear hubs, rear toe links, fuel pumps, 4wd modules, parking brake shoes, parking brake cables, IRS LSD 8.8, front axle seals....

or the transfer case which would explode if the tires were more than .3 larger/smaller. I still remember the 3 "balls" in that transfer case and how they would grind themselves into mush trying to keep up with the differing speeds of the drivetrain if the tires were worn differently front to rear.

Only thing worth a damn was the 4V motor and the transmission.

Some people had great success while others barely made it out of financial ruin because of this bodystyle Explorer/Aviator.

The 06-10 models were a vast improvement. I wouldn't mind having another one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread